How does the Average American view Islam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:wasalam:

This is sadly, the bitter truth. If I step outside and ask all these students milling around (I currently work at a US university) these same questions, I expect I would get a similar response.

Though I didn't like how the interviewers were further confusing the poor confused souls by asking things like "Can muslims drink pork?", "Can muslims fast slow?" They are ignorant on these matters already, what's the use of further twisting the question?

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
I cannot view youtube videos because of my laptop...however, it seems to me that many people dont really know much about Islam. But what are we doing to "teach" them about our faith?

Few days ago, I watched a video done by Muslim Students in a University somewhere in the US. And the answers were like "seriously people" especially the easiest answers like "who do Muslims worship??" thats just a given, but alot of people said "MOhamed!" and yet others said "Buddha"
I think its our job to try and teach them about our deen through our manners and most of all our Dawah.
May Allaah guide all those who seek guidance! ameen

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
^ hehehe...OMG from sister Tabassum's reply, I gather its THE SAME VIDEO I WAS TALKING ABOUT! :lol:

oh well......

msmoorad

mommys boy
muslims

salaams to all
apart from our religion, most muslims are not white or latino so i suppose this creates an image that islam is for arabs & pakis.

these whites & latinos also sometimes seem to think that blacks just accept islam becuase they want to feel accepted or its a Malcolm X thing etc.

then u get those non muslims who have been fed constant lies by their churches about our beliefs. they are amongst the most vehement haters of islam & muslims.

this is all apart from the stereotyping of muslims by zionist mainstream media & zionist hollywood. their reporting & movies enforce the perception that we are all bloodthirsty oppressors of women.

these factors make non muslims feel that its not worth learning about islam as theres nothing good there.
those that are "brave" enough to choose islamic studies (or whatever courses they offer) at university are also fed lies due to the fact that the vast majority of lecturers at western universities on islamic studies are non muslims & the books that are reccomended are almost always written by non muslims as well.
they intentionally do that so students are not attracted to islam.
Irrespective of all their efforts, islam is the fastest growing religion everywhere.

i think that the best dawah is to be practical muslims, esp in our dressing/appearance & to have good character. also dont feel shy to perform salaah outdoors or in full view of them.
actions speak louder than words- we cant just expect them to read some literature and change their perceptions of us.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

bari

Salam. It is our fault rather than theirs. We do not let them know. We are busy ourselves for too much dunya and its enticing life.

hayat_yahya

Interesting to see why the non-muslims stare at us and harass us as they don't know much about Islam and Muslims unfortunately; when you try to interact with them, they are so caught in misconceptions that they become defensive automatically, refusing to acknowledge the differences from fear of not being influenced.

:jazaak:

joldas

Banned
:salam2:

Americans, huh, in many occasions they are very pity, the are play as role of the "tools" of Jews and the kuffars. "right hand" of Jews to use shot to Muslims.

msmoorad

mommys boy
muslims

salaams to all

i agree with the above post.
America is just a tool of the Jews- if there was no zionist interference in USA for the past 100 yrs. America would never be interfering in the affairs of other countries at all.
but, we have to realise that USA is still a colony of Britain and is run like a business.
much of the taxes paid in america go to the City of London, which is independent of the greater London city itself. it is home to the Bank of England which dictates the world gold price on a daily basis.
like how the Vatican is in Rome but independent
and how little Washington DC is independent of Maryland & Virginia.

we all think that Britain takes orders from USA but the truth is that both the British & US govts take their orders fron the City of London which is run by intl bankers (who are all zionist jews).
they are the ones who also control the US Federal Reserve Bank- which is NOT part of the govt but a private business enterprise run for profit (also owned & controlled by zionist jews)

theres so much more than what meets the eye, going on.
these things might sound ridiculous but its all true & easily proven by a quick internet search.
strange how they dont teach u all this in school.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

auroran

May Allah guide them to the straight path. WHERE DID THAT GUY GET THAT IDEA?! The guy who thinks that we WORSHIP BUDDAH IN A SYNAGOGUE!!!

abdul-aziz

in sha Allah, this will benefit people who don't live in the west more than anything.

Based on the apparent lack of knowledge, we have the devils advocate subjecting these people to join them in their devious agendas.

[EDIT] to explain what I mean, in the video u see they have no clue, now there are people who utilize media and political positions that tell these people Muslims are this and that. There limited/no knowledge leads them to believe and agree because they feel person has looked into the issue and wouldn't speak out to the public except with knowledge. The counter-weight to this is Muslims should meet with the people let them experience the real Muslim from around the corner; so on and so forth. for reference see: this video

How this benefits people who don't live in the west, well they need to understand on the street level, people just don't have enough knowledge to make an educated decision about Islam. Do you blame them or do you blame Muslims? Anti west sentiments should be directed to inform the people of Islam with love and Muslim's fear of Allah rather then turning your backs or treating them like there is no hope.

wa Allah ya'lam

abu'muhammad

The interviewers have corrected them as well. hope so ? and that could had served some purpose. The surveys are good and the beneficial part can be looked out. Anyways it's also worth to know the level of knowledge. Hope the brothers have shared two words of information later... to spare a default again …

Valerie

Average americans aren't part of some conspiracy theory. Most don't really know a lot about Islam, but I'd hate to have them stop by here and see confirmation of Muslim stereotypes (hates Americans, anti-Jewish rants).

It's better to educate people than to give them proof of what they already suspect (which is, for the most part, completely incorrect). This is Turn to Islam, not "Fox News is right about Muslims."

Shak78

Most knowledge Americans have about Islam and Muslims is only what they see on the news which is rarely good. Depending on where you live there may not be very many Muslims or none at all for people to see. The news tends to show the Al Queda types or those who are anti-American which leaves an impression on your average American.

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
people lets NOT turn this into "Americans this and Jews that" we're very stereotypical ....and yea we're falling under those stereotypes when we give comments like that!!! I know some Americans who are very curious about Islam, who would not judge me for what the TV says. We would rather educate them then judge them as some people who hate us!!! I live in America and I have seen only few racist people!!! what does that tell you about the whole country??

We're soo quick to say that "not all Muslims are terrorists" yet we would go on and generalize all Americans!! I am really disappointed about that...how about the thousands who embraced Islam and who are proud Americans?? have some sense brothers and sisters!!

Reminder for me first!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

This is getting sticky. Bro msmoorad, Sister Valerie is your sister-in-faith! A little less finger pointing, accusations and assumptions here, please.

complex_man

guy :Who do muslims worship ???

woman : sadam hussain :lol:

i laughed so hard that i fell down from my chair :p. funny as hell :D

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
LET Us take islam to them.we have to inshhallah if we r strong they will be attracted to islam

Correct. If I may say, dawah isn't limited to a changed lifestyle which includes countless hours of traveling time and debating and a voice so loud. Things like our dealings and conduct with people who have differences and share little similarities with us raise a question. Time and time again, we find ourselves fed up with people assuming things about our religion, about our beliefs, our practices and are hurt to the core when it is criticised, let alone attacked. It's a question, not for them, but for ourselves. What image of Islam are we putting out there? How many more interpretations do people have to digest before understanding a simple ruling in our religion? Sure, when one is ignorant, they reserve no right to judge, ridicule and demean the purpose of our daily affairs, however, when we put little in, why do we expect something back? Islam has its own beauty, our task isn't in beautifying, which for some would be disguised scissor work. What we do need to do is question how we are representing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.