I'm new and need your feedback

Noor El-Huda

Salam alaykum everybody, I am new on TTI

I am a born muslim, and I’ve joined this website because I am married to a revert, and I thought that probably some of you here could help me understand some of the issues I am facing and give me some feedback.

I ‘ve been married to a revert for 2 ½ years, however, sadly he does not have an interest in learning about Islam. I realised this right from the start, and when I discussed it with him, he mentioned that he hadn’t been having the time and that with my help things would be easier.

But there’s been hardly any progress, or his own efforts. Infact he is still debating the same issues that he had when we first met, “polygamy, and the marriage of Ayesha to the prophet PBUH. I am not the one to judge how true or not he is a muslim, but what I know for sure is that he has no interest to learn. There is this huge sadness inside me that our lives are so different. He is into his heavy metal music and I’m into watching and listening to Islamic videos and hoping to keep progressing. What I find is that the only thing he seems to like about Islam is that a woman covers up and that giving up alcohol helped his health.

I feel I am a nuisance when I ask him that we watch an Islamic video together, read the Quran, go to a lecture. He doesn’t hide the fact that he goes for my sake, because it means a lot to me. He thinks he is making me happy when he says that, but it hurts me that he is doing this for me, rather than he is motivated to learn and gain reward from Allah swt. Due to this lack of motivation, a lot of the times he finds any excuse to avoid learning. He prays and misses some, and I cannot say for sure if he does pray when I am not around. This whole thing makes me feel very insecure, especially that I know he had converted because of a woman before me, but their marriage did not last. Every time I discuss what is happening he tells me that I am using this as an excuse to get rid of him.

Recently, my sister who is divorced and has a special needs child became a co-wife. He said that polygamy should never happen nowadays because the world is different from how it was 1400 years ago. That it is disgusting and that we are all “ f**** weirdos” to accept polygamy for my sister . He got into a heated debate with a relative of mine about polygamy and he wanted to start a fight, but I begged them both to stop so my relative let it go. I felt that this situation could not continue and later asked for a divorce. He then issued threats that he will destroy me and my family as long as he is alive and was manipulating me into giving him money as compensation for wanting to leave him. He also made references to wanting money from my brother who has nothing to do with this.

When I wrote saying that I would seek legal means if he didn’t stop these threats, he stopped. I’ve separated from him since last 3 weeks. Now he is writing to say that he didn’t mean anything he said and that he was just angry. But, from what I know about his previous marriage to the muslim lady, he also threatened her and her family and exposed everything he knew about them. I feel I am dealing with someone who can be so nice, yet so dangerous , if I say we are not suitable.

He believes in revenging if a woman who leaves him because he believes that marriage is for life and I would have broken that promise. Although he had been very nice to me treatmentwise, however I am having to back down a lot on Islamic issues, and I feel that it is affecting my deen and making me very miserable. I feel that I am not helping him by being patient with his lack of interest in deen, because he is getting attached to me and feeling betrayed if I leave him, and wanting to revenge. And now that he has shown me a very nasty side if I decide to leave him, it has given me more of a reason to do so, because it has made me and my family feel very insecure. Any feedback on this situation is much appreciated. Jazkum Allah kheir for reading this.

esperanza

revert of many years

I am a born muslim, and I’ve joined this website because I am married to a revert, and I thought that probably some of you here could help me understand some of the issues I am facing and give me some feedback.

I ‘ve been married to a revert for 2 ½ years, however, sadly he does not have an interest in learning about Islam. I realised this right from the start, and when I discussed it with him, he mentioned that he hadn’t been having the time and that with my help things would be easier.

But there’s been hardly any progress, or his own efforts. Infact he is still debating the same issues that he had when we first met, “polygamy, and the marriage of Ayesha to the prophet PBUH. I am not the one to judge how true or not he is a muslim, but what I know for sure is that he has no interest to learn. There is this huge sadness inside me that our lives are so different. He is into his heavy metal music and I’m into watching and listening to Islamic videos and hoping to keep progressing. What I find is that the only thing he seems to like about Islam is that a woman covers up and that giving up alcohol helped his health.

I feel I am a nuisance when I ask him that we watch an Islamic video together, read the Quran, go to a lecture. He doesn’t hide the fact that he goes for my sake, because it means a lot to me. He thinks he is making me happy when he says that, but it hurts me that he is doing this for me, rather than he is motivated to learn and gain reward from Allah swt. Due to this lack of motivation, a lot of the times he finds any excuse to avoid learning. He prays and misses some, and I cannot say for sure if he does pray when I am not around. This whole thing makes me feel very insecure, especially that I know he had converted because of a woman before me, but their marriage did not last. Every time I discuss what is happening he tells me that I am using this as an excuse to get rid of him.

Recently, my sister who is divorced and has a special needs child became a co-wife. He said that polygamy should never happen nowadays because the world is different from how it was 1400 years ago. That it is disgusting and that we are all “ f**** weirdos” to accept polygamy for my sister . He got into a heated debate with a relative of mine about polygamy and he wanted to start a fight, but I begged them both to stop so my relative let it go. I felt that this situation could not continue and later asked for a divorce. He then issued threats that he will destroy me and my family as long as he is alive and was manipulating me into giving him money as compensation for wanting to leave him. He also made references to wanting money from my brother who has nothing to do with this.

When I wrote saying that I would seek legal means if he didn’t stop these threats, he stopped. I’ve separated from him since last 3 weeks. Now he is writing to say that he didn’t mean anything he said and that he was just angry. But, from what I know about his previous marriage to the muslim lady, he also threatened her and her family and exposed everything he knew about them. I feel I am dealing with someone who can be so nice, yet so dangerous , if I say we are not suitable.

He believes in revenging if a woman who leaves him because he believes that marriage is for life and I would have broken that promise. Although he had been very nice to me treatmentwise, however I am having to back down a lot on Islamic issues, and I feel that it is affecting my deen and making me very miserable. I feel that I am not helping him by being patient with his lack of interest in deen, because he is getting attached to me and feeling betrayed if I leave him, and wanting to revenge. And now that he has shown me a very nasty side if I decide to leave him, it has given me more of a reason to do so, because it has made me and my family feel very insecure. Any feedback on this situation is much appreciated. Jazkum Allah kheir for reading this.

walaikum isalam

dear sister ..ifeel so sad reading this..its a really hard situation for you
i have not heard of many marriages where the sister marries a revert
it seems your husband ereally has many issues to deal with....i wonder how long he has been a revert..and he needs to deal with these

but for you to live with him like this is too hard and affecting your p0ratise of
religion
thtas why muslim women cant marry non muslims

yes your husband is muslim ,but obviously he is still finding his way and struggling with many things

you have to make the decision if you think you are able to stay with him while he struggles on this path,o it will affet you negatively

remeber there are even many born muslims,,,who do much more than him,,and wives you have to be patient
and iremember meeting once a muslim revert sister married to an arab in london..she was so sad beause he was far from islam ..btu she tried her best to be a good strong muslim despite this'

only you can know how he really is as a person ,if you an see the goodness in him ,then maybe he needs a good and patient sister like you to help him on his way

but if he really has an aggressive or violent side,you should be very careful ,and seek help

most important be strong in your faith anfd ask Allah to guide you

remember in any marriage there are challenges,and especially today where we have so amny inter cultural and marriages like yours

were all here to help you sister inshalla

welcome to the site

rahman2040

Assalam

Insha Allah this will help...

Guy Challenges Dr. Zakir Naik on Marriage of Ayesha (ra)
[yt]OwHVN5VYTS0[/yt]

Woman Challenging Zakir Naik on Polygamy
[yt]YQaPBU5ppsk[/yt]

Why Prophet married 11 not 4? - Dr. Zakir Naik
[yt]wM4MF8S7Ro0[/yt]

Ahmad Deedats Amazing Answers to 2 Questions
[yt]LLefQDMoFdg[/yt]

Proof that ,Aesha was 19-20 when married to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
[yt]wC1yqdIoGKU[/yt]

Allah knows best.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First...there are many sisters who marry reverts. Why not? Muslim women are beautiful. It is nothing new. They are probably too old to blog.

Its hard to say anything as we are not given his position. You are telling us things that you have difficulty with in terms of your relationship with him.

I have been writing this for sometime now and I am going to write this once more. Sister..is your husband aware that you are writing on a public forum discussing your marriage.

You state you have separated from him, yet he still wants you back. Are you following Islam. Or did you separate from him without the remediation steps to prevent separation. Do you have two arbitrators to help you resolve your issues.

Too often we have sisters come on the forum for help. We jump to help the sisters without knowing the entire issue.

Your husband deserves more respect than to have his business aired in public.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:

I've argued the above point before. There's nothing wrong with what the sister is doing in venting to her Muslim brothers and sisters about what is going on in her life. She is stressed about her marriage and she has every right to seek naseehah about her situation. I also think she should speak to an alim or sheikh about what she's going through but there's NOTHING wrong with expecting your brothers and sisters to be there for you in your time of need.

Yes, we don't know his side of the story but is that a good enough reason to basically tell someone not to vent? He probably vented to those he trusts as well. Are people telling him to not voice his frustration because they don't know the other side? I believe this only applies when seeking a fatwa from a judge or faqih. She's not seeking our verdict on the situation, she just wants some advice and perhaps some words of comfort.

Finally, and I feel like I've been banging my head on a wall with this one, it's all anonymous. His business isn't being aired in public because he could virtually be ANYONE. We don't know who this brother is or who this sister is. We're reading about a simple situation that could be applied to anyone. Maybe this sister had nowhere else to turn to and she just feels she needs to be surrounded by other Muslims right now.

Frankly, if I had problems, I would do the exact same thing as the sister. I would trust that my Muslim brethren would want to be there for me in my time of need and I would VENT. In fact, I've done so in the past and although it may not have been anything related to marriage, there were many times my heart was at ease because of the kind words of my brothers and sisters. It isn't disloyal to seek the advice of trusted ANONYMOUS individuals.

Noor El-Huda

Insha Allah this will help...

Guy Challenges Dr. Zakir Naik on Marriage of Ayesha (ra)
[yt]OwHVN5VYTS0[/yt]

Woman Challenging Zakir Naik on Polygamy
[yt]YQaPBU5ppsk[/yt]

Why Prophet married 11 not 4? - Dr. Zakir Naik
[yt]wM4MF8S7Ro0[/yt]

Ahmad Deedats Amazing Answers to 2 Questions
[yt]LLefQDMoFdg[/yt]

Allah knows best.

Jazak Allah kheir, its very interesting.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

No, Shahnaz that is not what happens.

We are discussing a Muslim behind his back. We are discussing a brother behind his back.

The worst thing a married woman does is to vent. She needs to talk to her husband. That is the bond of marriage. She is making weak the bond by discussing this with strangers. We do not know a thing about him.

This is not the Oprah show. This is about the sanctity of Muslim marriage. This situation can not be applied to anyone. This is specific to this person.

She wants feedback..and the best we can give her is to seek the advise of an imam and have an arbitrator. Does the brother even know she is upset? We do not know his circumstances so how can we react? We can not.

We do not know what he is thinking nor do we know what she is thinking. Sister, marriage is serious and men do not like their wives to blab about intimate affairs to others.

We do not even know the ages of this couple.

Sister, very few can give advise on marriage. The most important advise to give is to count your blessings. Marriage is a blessing; forgive your spouse and be honest with yourself.

Noor El-Huda

Assalaam walaikum,

First...there are many sisters who marry reverts. Why not? Muslim women are beautiful. It is nothing new. They are probably too old to blog.

Its hard to say anything as we are not given his position. You are telling us things that you have difficulty with in terms of your relationship with him.

I have been writing this for sometime now and I am going to write this once more. Sister..is your husband aware that you are writing on a public forum discussing your marriage.

You state you have separated from him, yet he still wants you back. Are you following Islam. Or did you separate from him without the remediation steps to prevent separation. Do you have two arbitrators to help you resolve your issues.

Too often we have sisters come on the forum for help. We jump to help the sisters without knowing the entire issue.

Your husband deserves more respect than to have his business aired in public.

Salam alaykum sister, I was under the assumption that it is not backbiting since I am anonymous and so is he. My aim was to find out if there are reverts on this website that were able to relate to some of the things I described. that was my intention, because I am hoping to make this khulu divorce as least painful as possible for him, as he does not understand that I am leaving him mainly because of our differences in deen that are emerging from every angle. Allah knows best. May Allah forgive me if it was wrong of me to post it in this forum, it is my very first time of posting on a forum anyway.I have yet to establish whether it is truly haram to discuss soemone when both people are anonymous. I do hear it on iqra tv where a man/woman asks well known sheikhs about things going on in their marriage and seek advice. No one mentioned that it was backbiting, but anyhow, jazaki Allah kheir for your intention to remind us so we are careful. The situation is not straightforward as to having staying in the same house as part of remediation steps before divorce, and that is due to the threats issued against members of my household. As to having two arbitrators, that would be possible once I am able to establish wether it is good to stay in this marriage, but as up to this moment I don't think it is as it is affecting my deen, especailly that I am seeking khulu and it is not him divorcing me so we stay in the same accomodation. Sister there are some who are questioning whether he is a muslim and telling me to get out asap. Allah knows better, but he seems to be truly on the margin, and I was wondering how safe is it to stay with someone on the margin. I think if anything I hope that my post is an enlightment for muslim women that it is very important to establish well the deen of the revert brother before you get into marriage. It is very different from a muslim man marring a revert woman and being patient with her until her deen strengthens. What I am facing is revengeful threats if I don't stay in the marriage.A woman is weaker than a man, she does not know what can be awaiting her if she finds that her decision was wrong. Jazaki Allah kheir.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
wa'alaikum as'salaam,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation sister, may Allah make it easy on you inshallah.

From your post, here are some of the things that stood out for me.
- born muslim, married to a revert
- married to a revert for 2 ½ years

My advice would be to never marry a revert who hasn't been one for at least 5 years, especially for born Muslimahs. As glamourous as it seems marrying a revert, thinking he is all "pure" and "free of sin", let's not forget the background of that person. He may be pure but doesn't make him a virgin or undue his cultural upbringing and lifestyle. Which is why it's better to wait at least 5 years to see how well they have settled in their new life and religion and how seriously they are taking it.

- he does not have an interest in learning about Islam.

- he is still debating the same issues that he had when we first met, “polygamy, and the marriage of Ayesha to the prophet PBUH. I am not the one to judge how true or not he is a muslim, but what I know for sure is that he has no interest to learn.

And this is exactly why I say 5 years. The fact he is still debating polygamy and marriage of Aisha r.a. is of great concern. He should have discussed this topic with the imam and been through it already. If he has no interest in Islam then clearly he feels he has learned as much as he wants about Islam and will not grow more islamic.

- This whole thing makes me feel very insecure, especially that I know he had converted because of a woman before me, but their marriage did not last.

This should have been a red flag for you sister. The fact he converted because of another woman and even after that he was not able to make that marriage works should have been a heads up for you. We are so careful when we are marrying someone from our culture yet why do we lower our guard when looking at converts?

- He said that polygamy should never happen nowadays because the world is different from how it was 1400 years ago. That it is disgusting and that we are all “ f**** weirdos” to accept polygamy for my sister .

To state such is to deny what is part of Islam and wisdom of Allah. To treat your family like this because your sister did what as best for her deen and life is unacceptable.

- I felt that this situation could not continue and later asked for a divorce. - He then issued threats that he will destroy me and my family as long as he is alive and was manipulating me into giving him money as compensation for wanting to leave him. He also made references to wanting money from my brother who has nothing to do with this.

- When I wrote saying that I would seek legal means if he didn’t stop these threats, he stopped. I’ve separated from him since last 3 weeks. Now he is writing to say that he didn’t mean anything he said and that he was just angry.

This really worries me sister. If he is threatening to ruin your and your family's life then it only shows to proof what kind of a character he has and all the more to end this relationship sooner before it get's worst. Such men are no different regardless of religion, they become possessive and abusive.
- He believes in revenging if a woman who leaves him because he believes that marriage is for life and I would have broken that promise.

I would not take such things lightly, last thing you want is someone "convert" showing up at your home with a gun. This is not how Muslims behave.
- I am having to back down a lot on Islamic issues, and I feel that it is affecting my deen and making me very miserable.

This and the above threats are two valid reasons for you to seek divorce and separate from him soon as possible, and also get a legal notice against him to stay away from you for your own safety. And also spread the word in the community what kind of a person he is so others can protect their daughters as well.
- now that he has shown me a very nasty side if I decide to leave him, it has given me more of a reason to do so, because it has made me and my family feel very insecure.

So far he has refused to learn more about Islam, may not be praying salah any more, curses your family, argues against Islamic beliefs and denies them calling them disgusting, and lastly threatens you and your family. For the physical safety of yourself and your family, and the spiritually safety of your emaan, you did the right thing to divorce him and separate. You should consult an Imam and end this.

Normally, I would say to go to a marriage counselor and see how you can work things out and divorce should be the last resort. however, it does not have to be in that exact way and each situation warrants different steps. In this case, if it was me then I would end this soon before it gets more ugly.

Talk to an imam to see what options you have but consider what I've stated seriously.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Salam alaykum sister, I was under the assumption that it is not backbiting since I am anonymous and so is he. .

:wasalam:

you are not backbiting sister. Don't worry, you are within your Islamic right to come seeking advice inshallah.

Gheebah (backbiting) means say about others things that they dislike. It is permissible in some situations, such as the advice of one who is able to advise you, and complaining about one who is mistreating you. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not like that the evil should be uttered in public except by him who has been wronged” [al-Nisa’ 4:148]

Mujaahid said concerning the meaning of this verse: It refers to the one who has been wronged speaking about the wrong action of the one who wronged him. Al-Adaab al-Shar’iyyah by Ibn Muflih, 1/246.

islamqa - Q20711

Noor El-Huda

Mashallah very impressed with the way you reflected things back to me and the effort you put. I truly needed this kind of support and wisdom that came from you and previous members that posted. Ofcourse I have sought the advice of a sheikh and will continue to do so in every step inshallah.

We both seem to be new on this website. Alhamdulilah that I registered. Because I am dealing with a revert, its a new and challenging experience for me, it gets very confusing as to wether I'm dealing with the situation well enough. A lot of the times I'm thinking "handle with care", don't push too much or you'll drive him away" and its getting the balance right and looking at the whole picture correctly.

Jazaki Allah kheir sister and all members who replied.:tti_sister:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister,

Have you discussed the issue with him with the two witnesses who will be your arbitrators.

From what you have written it seems that he is unaware of what you are doing? Let him know and have discussions.

It seems everyone is questioning his spirituality..why is that. You do not need to answer this but that would get a little unnerving to a revert or anyone. Is it more culture than faith? You both seem very young and in need of direction. It seems there are many people in this marriage.

Marriage is serious in Islam. A person does not have to wait five years..the Sahaba did not. That is amusing. Who put that into effect?!

I am protective of marriage. And I fear if we give you advise without knowing details we speculate.

I was married to a revert. Been there done that. Would I marry another revert yes.

Noor El-Huda

I hope that there is no misunderstanding, I never suggested that marrying a revert is something negative, infact its very good once you've established that the deen is firm enough. I think, the guidlines is how enthusiastic or not they are about the deen, and the number of years they have been a muslim gives a greater comfort , but is not a rule.

My mistake was I took things on face value, because I had come across with reverts who were very enthusiatic about Islam, so I thought that it was a matter of time. Mashallah it is very admirable that you are always trying to protect the other side. I wish my situation was more straightforward, just forgive and forget. But the way it stands, I feel I’m having to choose between protecting my deen or him.

It’s not something easy to have someone negatively voicing their opinion about aspects of islam and not wanting to listen to the Islamic vew point. Its like allowing shaitan to play in the mind. Thats going to really limit the growth in Iman of any person, when it is edither a continous battle in deen or having to continuously turn a blind eye. Your dua inshallah is much appreciated. Jazaki Allah kheir

a_stranger

:salam2:
The problem is not that he is a revert, the problem with his deen. Sorry to say we have many many born muslem whose deen is worse than your husband's . Their hearts full with doubts, they don't pray at time and miss some prayers......may Allah guide us all. We live in a world in which media is controling minds in a strong way ....and since it is mostly against islam then people are very much affected .

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)

:wasalam:

Sister, firstly may Allah rectify your situation. This is a sad and scary situation. Secondly, I would advice you to please pray salaat istakhaara and ask Allah to guide you to the best of decisions

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Mashallah very impressed with the way you reflected things back to me and the effort you put. I truly needed this kind of support and wisdom that came from you and previous members that posted. Ofcourse I have sought the advice of a sheikh and will continue to do so in every step inshallah.

We both seem to be new on this website. Alhamdulilah that I registered. Because I am dealing with a revert, its a new and challenging experience for me, it gets very confusing as to whether I'm dealing with the situation well enough. A lot of the times I'm thinking "handle with care", don't push too much or you'll drive him away" and its getting the balance right and looking at the whole picture correctly.

Jazaki Allah kheir sister and all members who replied.:tti_sister:

Alhamdulillah, i'm glad I was of some help. I think you are on the right path, inshallah keep on it and don't let emotions cloud your judgment. It seems your community members are also aware of the character of this person and question his being Muslim or not based on his own actions contradictory to Islam. Inshallah continue to seek advice and guidance from a sheikh and you're more than welcome to bounce of your thoughts and concerns off us.

May Allah make it easy on you and your loved ones, ameen. :tti_sister:

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
sister, i honestly feel that one of two things are happening with his deen:

1. your husband jumped into islam without fully understanding it.

2. your husband is being influenced by a person that is highly critical of islam and it's affecting him.

i say this because he should be pretty secure n his knowledge about polygamy, Aisha RA, marriage etc. if he's been a muslim for two years.

we have people here on TTI like JenGlove that aren't even muslim, yet have taken out serious amounts of time to learn the religion properly. i feel pretty certain that if you asked her she would be able to explain polygamy in islam pretty well and have an unbiased view on it. what i'm trying to say is that those who are truly interested in islam either because they want to be muslims or just want to learn about islam will somehow someway make time to do so.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Most Muslims are not secure about plural marriages. We know that. I have had many a discussion and everyone jumps down my throat.

Most Muslim women scream at the idea. No..I don't want to. It is not mandatory. We do not have to share him with another woman..don't believe me..read the threads.

This is a deeper issue.

Lets get to the real issue. After rereading this several times it dawned on me. Sister, you want out of the marriage. You have made up your mind.

It is not good to point your finger at him. As I said he is not here. We do not know what he is thinking. We know you want out.

We have to be honest in Islam.

In life sometimes when we are scared to take action we ask for directions from others. We feel more secure when people give us the advise that suits our needs. The same is happening here. We are making judgments about a mans faith. I refuse to do it. We do not know him. We do not know the specifics.

May Allah subhana wa taala guide both of you. May He send His Peace upon both of you. I write this out of Love and Fear of Allah.