Islam or Career?

Linkgx1

Salam!

Lol! Sorry for the title, I needed to get people in. Although it relates a little.

I was looking over some threads and somebody said:

"We have all of that (Muslim doctors, lawyers). Its just that most of them have come here from their countries. INstead of staying behind and spread the knowledge they went to kuffar country to spread their knowledge and assistance. Do you know that 50-60% of doctors in america are pakistani/indian origin. Most doctors and engineers in america are muslim. What we really need is Muffessirs (people who can give explanaitions of ajat in quran, Muhaditheen (people who memorize and know the meanings of hadeeth. We need knowladgeble people in the deen."

This was posted in response to somebody wanting to go to MIT and become an astronaut.

The thing is, I was to go to MIT too, although I was to go into Business Administration/Computers. But I want to put Alllah first-how do I do this?

See, I really don't want to be an Islamic teacher. No, I like being a Muslim. But teaching, to me, is something different. For one, there's the pressure of being accountable even more because you taught it. Second, I'm not really a person who likes just teaching.

I want to do something not Haram, but also something I like. I need help, please. May Allah reward you!

muslimad

Asalamu Alaykum!
:salam2:
Hey why not do both? if business at MIT is what you want then go for it you can still study islam and have a career not one or the other.

shahidah123

assalammualaikum,

You have the right to pursue what you are interested in as long as it is not against the teachings of Islam. Pursuing knowledge & education is important in Islam itself. Muslims are encouraged to pursue & conquest knowledge no matter where on earth you have to go. No muslims are taught to denounce this life & concentrate 100% for the hereafter. We have to do both. Duniawi & Ukhrawi. This life & the hereafter. I have heard of a hadith from Islamic Forum in Malaysia telling the muslims that even if you have to plant a seed, knowing tomorrow is doomsday, you are told to plant that seed.
That is how important our good deeds in this life is, before the next.WallahuAlam.:hijabi:

Linkgx1

Hey why not do both? if business at MIT is what you want then go for it you can still study islam and have a career not one or the other.

That's what I was wondering! At MIT, they have a mosque on campus, so I can learn a lot from there inshAllah!

Linkgx1

You have the right to pursue what you are interested in as long as it is not against the teachings of Islam. Pursuing knowledge & education is important in Islam itself. Muslims are encouraged to pursue & conquest knowledge no matter where on earth you have to go. No muslims are taught to denounce this life & concentrate 100% for the hereafter. We have to do both. Duniawi & Ukhrawi. This life & the hereafter. I have heard of a hadith from Islamic Forum in Malaysia telling the muslims that even if you have to plant a seed, knowing tomorrow is doomsday, you are told to plant that seed.
That is how important our good deeds in this life is, before the next.WallahuAlam.:hijabi:
Thanks you! Computers are not against Islamic teachings- in fact, I wanted to be a scientist, but they want to denounce relligions (plus, you have to take a Phisiology class).

kayleigh

Thanks you! Computers are not against Islamic teachings- in fact, I wanted to be a scientist, but they want to denounce relligions (plus, you have to take a Phisiology class).

Science doesn't always denounce religion. You just need to be strong enough and fast enough to drawn your own conclusions and stick to what you believe in. There's plenty of pious Muslims who are successful scientists.

What's wrong with a physiology class?

justmuslim

what's wrong with physiology class i had physiology class and i will have again so what is up with it? i need to know

Noor to shine

Salam!

Lol! Sorry for the title, I needed to get people in. Although it relates a little.

I was looking over some threads and somebody said:

"We have all of that (Muslim doctors, lawyers). Its just that most of them have come here from their countries. INstead of staying behind and spread the knowledge they went to kuffar country to spread their knowledge and assistance. Do you know that 50-60% of doctors in america are pakistani/indian origin. Most doctors and engineers in america are muslim. What we really need is Muffessirs (people who can give explanaitions of ajat in quran, Muhaditheen (people who memorize and know the meanings of hadeeth. We need knowladgeble people in the deen."

This was posted in response to somebody wanting to go to MIT and become an astronaut.

The thing is, I was to go to MIT too, although I was to go into Business Administration/Computers. But I want to put Alllah first-how do I do this?

See, I really don't want to be an Islamic teacher. No, I like being a Muslim. But teaching, to me, is something different. For one, there's the pressure of being accountable even more because you taught it. Second, I'm not really a person who likes just teaching.

I want to do something not Haram, but also something I like. I need help, please. May Allah reward you!

I think that a muslem with a good career can help Islam as long as he represents Islam with sincerity. Who knows may be more than an Islamic teacher.

kayleigh

what's wrong with physiology class i had physiology class and i will have again so what is up with it? i need to know

Maybe he/she thinks it's haram because you'll be touching on the topic of reproductive organs? But it's not...I don't see how it could be. Islam has never been against science or medicine, and it's part of both. Plenty of Muslim doctors and midwives, etc. If we ignored that whole area of the human body we'd be in big trouble. Textbooks certainly aren't the same as *!*!*!*!ographic movies.

Kayote

I think the biggest problem we muslims (sincere ones) face is that we have not strived to educate ourselves. True science does not denounce Islam, it is the hypothesis and conjecture that some 'scientists' have come up with that give the impression that some parts of Science does not conform to Islamic teachings.

I truly hope you go on to MIT because we muslims need people like you to help us prove and prove scientifically that Islam tells the truth.

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member

Perhaps what was meant was philosophy? The class full of atheistic teachings... as i've heard.

wasalam

kayleigh

In that case...if you know your religion, what's wrong with learning about philosophy? Learning how some people see the world, and about great philosophers, doesn't mean you have to believe what they say. "The mark of an educated mind is to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." :) Love that saying.