~*~*~Islamic Word Meaning~*~*~

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Not exactly. Mu`allaq is when the narrators up from the reporter are missing. Many hadeeth are reported without a chain of narrators at all, just saying, "The Prophet (PBUH) said ..."

Hadeeths that are missing narrators in the middle are called Maqtoo` (cut). If they are missing the first two, they are called Munqati` (disconnected). If they are missing the first one, the Sahaabi, they're called Mursal (sent out).

Jazakallah khair.

how may narrators up from the reporter exactly??

interesting!!and all these are types of fabricated hadeeths??

JenGiove

I swear, if it wasn't for Brother Ayman, I think we'd all be toast!

Brother Ayman, I'm about to say something I don't often say...

Jazakum Allah Khairan!

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
No specific number. Let me give you some examples. Say that a proper connected hadeeth (Muttasil) has the following narration chain,

P <- S <- T <- N1 <- N2 <- N3 <- R

Where P is the Prophet, peace be upon him,
S is the Sahaabi, and T is the Taabi`i, may God have been pleased with them,
N1, N2 and N3 are following narrators, and
R is the reporter, e.g., An-Nasaa'i.

If S is missing, the narration is Mursal,
If T is missing, the narration is Munqati`,
If N1, N2 or both are missing, the narration is Maqtoo`,
If N3 or N3 and up are missing, the narration is Mu`allaq. Often Mu`allaq hadeeths are missing S, T, N1, N2 and N3 altogether.

Not necessarily. They may just be weak.

That is much clearer than what I said, also I would like to say and this is according to Ibn Hajar atleast (I do not know about the other hadeeth scholars), that Munqati` is usually a missing link anywhere else other than the sahaabi and the reporter. So if N1 is missing, or N3, or N2, then this is Munqati`. Also Ibn Hajar mentions that if two or more narrators are missing consecutively, then it is known Mu`dal. For example if T, N1 are missing, or N1 and N2 are missing, or even N1, N2 and N3 are missing.

As for Marfoo`, then it is a saying, action or tacit approval attributed to the Prophet :saw2: directly (sarihan) or indirectly (Hukman).

So for example: Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for." [Bukhaari, 1]

Now this is Marfoo` because it is attributed to the Prophet :saw2:, and thus the narration is "... Allaah's Apostle saying", or " I heard the Prophet :saw2:", or "I saw the Prophet :saw2:" (this is usually his :saw2:'s action) and there are other ways how ahadeeth are narrated

If it is a narration like this: It is reported that Abû Hurayrah – Allâh be pleased with him – used to say about the house in which the Qur’ân is recited:

It becomes spacious for its inhabitants, the good of it becomes plentiful, the angels come to it and the devils leave it. And the house in which the Qur’ân is not recited becomes cramped for its inhabitants, has little good in it, and the devils come to it. [Ibn Abî Shaybah, Al-Musannaf]

Then this is known as Mawqoof, because it is a statement attributed to a Sahaabi i.e Aboo Hurayrah

And a final narration: ‘Abdullâh the son of Al-Imâm Ahmad reports that his father, Al-Imâm Ahmad, said, “The graves of Ahl Al-Sunnah who committed major sins are gardens (from Paradise) whilst the graves of the heretics (adherents of Bid’ah) who were ascetics are pits (from the Fire). The sinners from Ahl Al-Sunnah are the beloved (awliyâ`) of Allâh, whereas the ascetics of Ahl Al-Bid’ah are the enemies of Allâh.” [Ibn Abî Ya’lâ, Tabaqât Al-Hanâbilah Vol. 1 p182]

And this is known as Mursal, because it is a statement attributed to an imaam (or it could be attributed to a Tabi`ee).

I hope that is clearer inshaa'Allaah

P.S Anybody else want to have a go at Tarjee`

Wassalaamu `alaykkum

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Alaikum!

Of what little i know, the word 'Hawqala' is a saying just like tarjee' is. Hawqalah is to basically saying the sentence, "Laa hawla walaa quwwata Illaa Billaah"...translated as "There's no might/power or strength except with Allah". And sort of like Tarjee', this is said by muslims whenever seized by calamity.

If I'm not wrong then I suggest, "Muubiqaat" for the next word.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Well,

Qiraan, is a type of Hajj, right??:shymuslima1: (im not sure though..)

Any ways, that word Qiraan, indicates the act of a Hajj and an Umrah performed together with the same Ihraam.., I think..

Correct me if I am wrong

Now My word is... ITH-THIBAAH

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Sounds like no one knows...:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I too do not know much Arabic...:lol::lol:

ITH-THIBAAH, means to follow some thing devotedly..Basically it does mean to obey some thing 100%

I came across this word when I was listening to a Tamil lecture..:shymuslima1:

Now, the next word is... FIQH :)

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Aha! So, you meant Ittibaa` اتباع (following). When you wrote it with TH, I thought you meant the letter ث, not the letter ت (T) and I didn't know any Arabic word like that.

Ya Akhi... I am sorry...:shymuslima1: I made a mistake..

Jazakallahu Khair for explaining me..:)

BUT SADLY I DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING FOR THAT WORD...:girl3: + :lol:

But I have got a word with me...:lol:

WALEEMAH... (I HOPE THERE IS NO SPELLING ERRORS..:lol:)

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
The rule is you have to solve the last quiz first before you suggest a new one ;)

Imtithaal means willing compliance.

Waleema means a celebratory meal, such as when you invite friends and neighbors to a dinner in celebration of your child memorizing the Quran, for instance.

If I got that right, then the next word is
Kalaala كلالة

Akhi.. you see, does not Waleemah mean the feast which is given by the new groom to his friends and family..etc, for he has got married??

I dont know Arabic, but this is what people have taught me...:shymuslima1:
So plz be kind enough to explain..

And, I really dont know what does Kalaala means... SO I WONT PROVIDE MY NEW WORD..:lol::lol:

Explain that too, we are here to study, INSHA ALLAH:hearts:

FEE AMAILLAH:hearts:

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
If I got that right, then the next word is
Kalaala كلالة

As-salaamu `alaikum!

I'm not sure of the 'exact' meaning for this word....but i'm pretty sure it has something to do with 'Inheritance' and 'ascendants/descendants'....

I found two Ayahs(both are in Nisaa') concerning 'Kalaalah' though. One, this one starts with "Yastaftuunaka Qulillaahu yufteekum fil Kalaalah(ti)" says "....Allaah directs about Kalaalah. If it's a man that dies leaving a sister, but no child, she shall have half the inheritance. If a woman, who left no child, her brother takes her inheritance. If there are two sisters, they shall have two-thirds of the inheritance; if there are brothers and sisters, the male will have twice the share of the female..."

So maybe it means 'someone who leaves(or does not leave(?)) family members as heirs(give them the righht to inherit)'...

- you might want to help me and the sister out akhy.:)

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
@sis Faaraa, I believe that word(walima) actually used to be used for all types of gathering(Fath Al-bari), as the word walima is said to be derived from the root word 'Walam'(different words might've been used for different type of gathering...but it's still some sort of a gathering). And now adays 'Walima' is particularly used for the wedding feast....

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Well? Anyone?

A deviant sect from the past that believed that sins are not part of Eemaan and thus it does not have an affect on the Eemaan of a person. The group came about as a retaliation for the Khawaarij, but deviated.

Many of the Salaf refuted them mentioning that their bid`ah is worse than the Khawaarij.

Now on that note, what is the definition of Eemaan? (Well atleast according to the books of `Aqeedah

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
A deviant sect from the past that believed that sins are not part of Eemaan and thus it does not have an affect on the Eemaan of a person. The group came about as a retaliation for the Khawaarij, but deviated.

Many of the Salaf refuted them mentioning that their bid`ah is worse than the Khawaarij.

Jazakallah khair. I first read it in this hadith:

Anas Bin Malik (ra) narrated from the Prophet :)saw2:) said: Al-Qadariyyah and Al-Murjiah are the Majouss of this Ummah. If they get sick, do not visit them, and if they die, do not attend their funerals". And than found some excellent articles explaining what this Murjiah was.

Now on that note, what is the definition of Eemaan? (Well atleast according to the books of `Aqeedah

I found this:
Al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar (d. 853H) said, “Eemaan in the language means’ tasdeeq’ (attesting to the truth of something). In the Sharee’ah it means ‘tasdeeq’ (attesting to the truth) of what the Messenger (swallallahu alaihi wasallam) brought from his Lord.

the Salaf say: Eemaan is ‘aqeedah* in the heart, statement of the tongue and action of the limbs. They mean by this that actions are a condition for its completeness.

*(reality of Aqeedah to humans, it is what the heart has knotted itself around. The meaning of "the heart knotted around it" is that the heart has contained it and embodied it fully and decisively with ease and tranquillity.)

My word: Wijdan.

JenGiove

My word: Wijdan.

Ok, I couldn't find anything in depth about the usage of this word except as a girl's name which means "ecstasy;sentiment" and in another name definition site, I saw it defines as "sentimental strength". So, using some common sense and a whole lot of guess work..:) I assume that the word is used Islamicly to describe the shoring up of strength of emaan gained during difficult times from remembering the good times from the past.

Let me know if I got it right...or wrong...:) Remember, I'm just guessing here...

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Ok, I couldn't find anything in depth about the usage of this word except as a girl's name which means "ecstasy;sentiment" and in another name definition site, I saw it defines as "sentimental strength". So, using some common sense and a whole lot of guess work..:) I assume that the word is used Islamicly to describe the shoring up of strength of emaan gained during difficult times from remembering the good times from the past.

Let me know if I got it right...or wrong...:) Remember, I'm just guessing here...

Oh My Old team's here*smile*.

You are partially right, partially wrong.

It is basically the heart. Like when we say "My heart says. . ." You can say what the heart feels and reason (mind) agrees to it.

The heart could be used to refer to the mind, or to the heart as we know it, and which in this context means the emotion i.e the "Wijdan".

Okay your turn. Give us a word!

JenGiove

Oh My Old team's here*smile*.

You are partially right, partially wrong.

It is basically the heart. Like when we say "My heart says. . ." You can say what the heart feels and reason (mind) agrees to it.

The heart could be used to refer to the mind, or to the heart as we know it, and which in this context means the emotion i.e the "Wijdan".

Okay your turn. Give us a word!

ROTFL! I'd have to KNOW words in order to give you one......ok, lemme think. I saw a word posted today that I don't know in another thread...

Actually, there are two words and I think they go together and I THINK I know what they mean but I wanted a clareification....then I have another word specific to Ramadan so I'll wait till later to ask it. :) How that?

1) mullani (Muslim woman?)
2) muhajabah (Muslim woman who wears a Hijab?)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
ROTFL! I'd have to KNOW words in order to give you one......ok, lemme think. I saw a word posted today that I don't know in another thread...

Actually, there are two words and I think they go together and I THINK I know what they mean but I wanted a clareification....then I have another word specific to Ramadan so I'll wait till later to ask it. :) How that?

1) mullani (Muslim woman?)
2) muhajabah (Muslim woman who wears a Hijab?)

You sort of got them both right.

Mullani: Not really an islamic word, and is usually used to insult someone [to express sarcasm]. It basically is the feminine for Mullah which is a Sheikh in urdu. Mullani is the female sheikh. The word is mostly used for a Muslim girl when she's thought be an extremist know-it-all. It has the same effect as words like fundamentalist, extremist, wahabi etc.

Muhajabah [not sure], Amatuallah tells me you got that one right.

Okay next word: Mawqoof