little house on the mosque anyone?

Jihan

have any of you watched little mosque on the prarie i watched once it was pretty funny but slightly edgey (sometimes men and women getting too close)
but its definitely a step up.
what do you all think of it!

Sitcom’s Precarious Premise: Being Muslim Over Here
James Estrin/The New York Times
One episode of “Little Mosque on the Prairie” focuses on a character’s dismay at finding that a man has replaced her female swimming instructor.

By NEIL MacFARQUHAR
Published: December 7, 2006
TORONTO — The handsome, clean-cut young man of evidently Pakistani or Indian origin is standing in an airport line, gesticulating emphatically as he says into his cellphone, “If Dad thinks that’s suicide, so be it,” adding after a pause, “This is Allah’s plan for me.”

Skip to next paragraph
Readers’ Opinions
Forum: Television

James Estrin/The New York Times
Zarqa Nawaz, a Canadian Muslim, one of the show’s creators.
As might be expected, a cop materializes almost instantly and drags the man off, telling him that his appointment in paradise will have to wait, even though the suicide he is referring to is of the career kind; he’s giving up the law to pursue a more spiritual occupation.

The scene unrolls early in the pilot of a new Canadian comedy series called “Little Mosque on the Prairie.”

Yet that fictional moment is an all-too-possible occurrence, as witnessed when six imams were hauled off a US Airways plane in Minnesota in November after apparently spooking at least one fellow passenger by murmuring prayers that included the word Allah.

“Little Mosque on the Prairie” ventures into new and perhaps treacherous terrain: trying to explore the funny side of being a Muslim and adapting to life in post 9/11 North America. Its creators admit to uneasiness as to whether Canadians and Americans can laugh about the daily travails of those who many consider a looming menace.

go here:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/a...af5b3ea24e920d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

kayleigh

I've watched the first season and I find it funny at times. I think it raises important issues that people need to discuss like dating, forcing your daughter to wear hijab, putting up walls in the mosque, etc. I also think it projects a possitive image to non-Muslims as to what Muslims are like.

Obviously the Muslim characters do bad things in the show and it is a bit edgy, so not a perfect example of behavior by far. But I think it's realistic from what I've seen, because no is perfect or near perfect and not every Muslim you meet will have perfect (or close to it) behavior. Not ideal, but realistic.