Married people Your help needed

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
A few days back my friend asked me the question that one of his relative had a divorce.Now as you might be knowing that at the time of marriage the bridegroom is given the gifts by the in laws so my question is that can they to take those gifts back or it will be the sin if they demand them back.He told me that one scholar was showing evidence that they can be taken back while as the other scholar denied that and said they cant be taken back.So i want to know what is the correct ruling.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
i think its not allowed to take back gifts:

Allah says in Quran: "But if you decide to take one wife in place of another, even if you had given the latter a whole treasure for dower, take not the least bit of it back; Would you take it by slander and a manifest wrong?" (4:20).

i m not very much sure, maybe someone more knowledgable can give better answer.

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
Well in this verse Allah is telling the husbands not to take gifts back from their wives but my question is about the gifts given to husband by the relatives of his wife.

sister2

That given to the wife as refered to in the ayah above I take to mean the Mehr. Since Mehr is a little different to a gift it therefore has different rules that apply to it depending on the circumstances eg it is returned with Khula but not with Talaaq.

I think it would be wise to clarify if what was given was given as Mehr (if so would need to have been stipulated) or not. If it was not Mehr then surely it would be a gift and then the question is whether it is permissable to take a gift back (irrespective of the circumstances under which it was given).

As far as I know one can not take a gift back BUT I am NOT a scholar so I may be mistaken.

May Allah forgive me and guide me if I am incorrect in my understanding....

soulzcore

Abd-Allah !!
A few days back my friend asked me the question that one of his relative had a divorce.Now as you might be knowing that at the time of marriage the bridegroom is given the gifts by the in laws so my question is that can they to take those gifts back or it will be the sin if they demand them back.He told me that one scholar was showing evidence that they can be taken back while as the other scholar denied that and said they cant be taken back.So i want to know what is the correct ruling.

Do u infer Dowry..?