Men's Dress Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Assalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh brothers and sisters. I believe that this is a topic which we need to talk here a little often now. For some specific reasons which I do not have to tell for sure, because you all know it very well.

There follows a summary of the rulings on dress for men. We ask Allaah to make it sufficient and beneficial.

1. The basic principle concerning everything that is worn is that it is halaal and permissible, except for that concerning which there is a text to state that it is haraam, such as silk for males, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “These two [gold and silk] are forbidden for the males of my ummah and permissible for the females.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3640; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah. Similarly it is not permissible to wear the skin of a dead animal (one that has died of natural causes) unless it has been tanned. With regard to wearing clothes made of wool, goat hair and camel hair, these are pure and permissible. For more information on the use of the skin of dead animals after tanning.

2. It is not permissible to wear thin or see-through clothing that does not conceal the ‘awrah.

3. It is haraam to imitate the mushrikeen and kuffaar in their manner of dress, so it is not permissible to wear clothing that is unique to the kuffaar.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw ‘Ali wearing two garments dyed with safflower and said: “These are garments of the kuffaar; do not wear them.”
Narrated by Muslim, 2077.

4. It is haraam for women to imitate men and men to imitate women in the way they dress, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the men who imitate women and the women who imitate men.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5546.

5. It is Sunnah for a Muslim to start with the right when dressing, and to say, Bismillaah (In the name of Allaah), and to start with the left when taking clothes off.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you get dressed and when you do wudoo’, start on the right.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4141; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 787.

6. It is Sunnah for the one who is putting on a new garment to thank Allaah and make du’aa’.

It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed said: When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) put on a new garment, he would call it by its name, whether it was a turban, a shirt or a cloak, then he would say: “Allaahumma laka al-hamd anta kasawtanihi as’aluka khayrahu wa khayri ma suni’a lah wa a’oodhu bika min sharrihi wa sharri ma suni’a lah (O Allaah, to You be all praise. You have clothed me with it. I ask You for the good of it and the good for which it was made, and I seek refuge with You from the evil of it and the evil for which it was made).”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1767; Abu Dawood, 4020; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 4664.

7. It is Sunnah to pay attention to keeping one’s clothes clean, without feeling arrogant or exaggerating about that.

It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one will enter Paradise in whose heart is a mustard-seed of arrogance.” A man said: “What if a man likes his clothes to look nice and his shoes to look nice?” He said: “Allaah is Beautiful and loves beauty; arrogance means rejecting the truth and looking down on people.”

Narrated by Muslim, 91.

8. It is mustahabb to wear white clothes

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Wear white clothes, for they are the best of your clothes, and shroud your dead in them.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 994, hasan saheeh. This is what the scholars regarded as mustahabb. Also narrated by Abu Dawood, 4061; Ibn Maajah, 1472.

9. It is haraam for the Muslim man to let any garment he wears hang down beneath his ankles (an action known as isbaal); the limit for any garment is the ankles.

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said; “Whatever of the lower garment is beneath the ankles is in the Fire.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5450.

It was narrated from Abu Dharr that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There are three to whom Allaah will not speak on the Day of Resurrection and will not look at them or praise them, and theirs will be a painful torment.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) repeated it three times. Abu Dharr said: “May they be doomed and lost; who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said: “The one who lets his garment hang beneath his ankles, the one who reminds others of favours he has done, and the one who sells his product by means of false oaths.”

Narrated by Muslim, 106.

10. It is haraam to wear garments of fame and vanity, which means a garment that stands out from others so that people will look at the wearer and he will become known for it.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever wears a garment of fame and vanity, Allaah will dress him in a garment like it on the Day of Resurrection.”

According to another version, “…then set it ablaze.” And according to a third version, “will dress him in a garment of humiliation.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4029; Ibn Maajah, 3606 and 3607; classed as hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 2089.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
:wasalam:

Jazakallahu Khair for sharing this article with us...

I can pass this to one of my uncles, who is showing his careless on the Sunnah dress code for men, ...

mohiee76

Salam sister Faraa!

does your uncle belongs to Tabliq jamath, coz those ppl not all least care abt their dresses.

msmoorad

mommys boy
Salam sister Faraa!

does your uncle belongs to Tabliq jamath, coz those ppl not all least care abt their dresses.

salaams to all

i dont believe you.
what u may have seen is a "new" brother who has joined them and is STILL LEARNING, therefore he may not be dressing appropriately.
watch what you say as you will be held accountable for your words & actions-
Alhamdulillah, the Tablighi Jamaat brothers are amongst the few peoples that are very conscious about dressing according to the guidelines of sunnah.

anyone here who knows them will know that what im saying is true.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
salaams to all

i dont believe you.
what u may have seen is a "new" brother who has joined them and is STILL LEARNING, therefore he may not be dressing appropriately.
watch what you say as you will be held accountable for your words & actions-
Alhamdulillah, the Tablighi Jamaat brothers are amongst the few peoples that are very conscious about dressing according to the guidelines of sunnah.

anyone here who knows them will know that what im saying is true.

jazakallah

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmetullah wa baarakatuhu

Dear brother, who are "Tablighi Jamaat" and why they are seperating themselves with this name?

Baarak Allah feekh

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Salam sister Faraa!

Wa alaikum assalaam WR WB Brother.

No no. he does not belong to any Jama'at. :)

If you do not mind, Let me remind me and you and all about some thing important.. :)

You see my brother, we are Muslims and we should not talk ill about our fellow Muslims. This Ummah has already faced many traumas only because of having these sects in Islam. Islam is unique and beautiful, but we do never realize it.......

No Akhi, no... here after we should not say that "this sect is doing that" and "that sect is not doing this" and blah blah blah...

But, in some points, Tableekh Jamaa'at follows the Sunnah 100% too :)

No one is perfect....

I remind my self and all others ,that we are not here to talk about the differences which are living among us, but we are here to give life to the unity, which is gradually going away from us...

And hold fast, all together by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your hearts in love so that by His Grace, ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make his signs clear to you: that ye may be guided. (3:103)

and plz... I request you to watch this video..plzzzz (I have already posted that on TTI)

[yt]ogoSEAsS9ho&feature[/yt]
Hope you would understand...

FEE AMANILLAH

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
3. It is haraam to imitate the mushrikeen and kuffaar in their manner of dress, so it is not permissible to wear clothing that is unique to the kuffaar.

8. It is mustahabb to wear white clothes

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Abbaas said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Wear white clothes, for they are the best of your clothes, and shroud your dead in them.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 994, hasan saheeh. This is what the scholars regarded as mustahabb. Also narrated by Abu Dawood, 4061; Ibn Maajah, 1472.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuu

May reward you dear brother for sharing this thread for Muslim brothers. It is good remainder for Sunnah dress code but as well good remainder which cloth Muslim man is not allowed to wear.

I hope Inshallah some brother or sister can explain me what means imitating kaffirs cloth, and does that refer that Muslim man can not wear cloth like tie and suit?

And mashallah it is so beautiful to see Muslim man wearing white cloth and it is good Sunnah of our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alayha wa saalam, and if all Muslims would wear white cloth they would be simullar to each others even by a cloth, SubhanAllah. :hijabi: :tti_sister:

May Allah reward you dear brother for sharing with us.

bari

:salam2:
Brothers, let not start bashing any muslim groups who do not have serious aqidah issue. Some people follow tabligh, but they do not have serious aqidah problems. We should make dua for them so that they affix to all sunna100%.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarakatuu

I hope Inshallah some brother or sister can explain me what means imitating kaffirs cloth, and does that refer that Muslim man can not wear cloth like tie and suit?

:wasalam: my dear fried :)

Hope you are doing good with the help of Allah Azzawajal.

Basically, imitating the clothing of the Kuffar means, to wear any dress which represents the other religion or religious cultures...

For an example, our Muslim men can not wear the pop's cloths..
we ladies can not wear the sister's uniform...
and we can not wear the monk's suite..

ALLAH AZZAWAJAL KNOWS THE BEST , and if I am wrong some one plz do correct me :)

and by the way, regrading the tie and the suite.... its not a dress code of Kuffar at all my dear...

I request you to watch this video:hijabi:...
It has the reply for your questions dear :)

[yt]3G0oQQHA00k[/yt]

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Basically, imitating the clothing of the Kuffar means, to wear any dress which represents the other religion or religious cultures...

ALLAH AZZAWAJAL KNOWS THE BEST , and if I am wrong some one plz do correct me :)

and by the way, regrading the tie and the suite.... its not a dress code of Kuffar at all my dear...

[yt]3G0oQQHA00k[/yt]

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmtullah wa baarakatuhu

Alhamdulilah I am well my sister,and I pray to Allah you and your family are also well with Help of Allah.:hijabi:

Jazzak Allah khair for answering my question, as I have been thinking about this Islamic rulling for awhile and wished to make the same question here on TTI and ask answers of brothers and sisters who may have better knowledge about it.

Thank you my sister for your help and may Allah increase more your knowledge. Ameen summa ameen

msmoorad

mommys boy

[yt]3G0oQQHA00k[/yt]

salaams to all
respected sister.
the suit & tie IS part of the dress code of the kuffaar- you cannot deny this or hide from this fact. it has no link to Islam and instead of defending those who wear it, rather make duaah that Allah ta'ala gives them the taufeeq to wear clothing ths closer to the sunnah of our beloved Rasullullah (SAW).
people like Dr Zaakir naik would be much better ambassadors of Islam & Da'ees if they also wore clothing that clearly indentified them as muslims.
its ironic to wear a suit n tie & give talks about the beauty of Islam- it looks as though you, yourself are not convinced about it- therefore your dress is not even in accordance to sunnah.

jazakallah

dunno

Brother many things people wear are not related to Islam.....

Jeans are not related to Islam the thing arabs put on their head? the red thing? is not related to islam as the prophet did not wear it nor the sahabah.....people started wearing it long after the prophet had died peace be upon him.

Please dont bash muslims for wearing a suit jeans or any halal cloths. These cloths hide the knees and the belly button and muslims all over the world wear it.
you accusing them of not being convinced in Islam, that is a very serious accusation :astag: by allah on the day on judgement you will be asked about what u just said and you will be judged.
Many arabs that have no correct aqeedah and some are not muslims wear the "islamic" dress, are they better?
In islam we dont tell people to abandon their culture and dress code as long as it does not conflict with our religion.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
salaams to all
respected sister.
the suit & tie IS part of the dress code of the kuffaar- you cannot deny this or hide from this fact. it has no link to Islam and instead of defending those who wear it, rather make duaah that Allah ta'ala gives them the taufeeq to wear clothing ths closer to the sunnah of our beloved Rasullullah (SAW).
people like Dr Zaakir naik would be much better ambassadors of Islam & Da'ees if they also wore clothing that clearly indentified them as muslims.
its ironic to wear a suit n tie & give talks about the beauty of Islam- it looks as though you, yourself are not convinced about it- therefore your dress is not even in accordance to sunnah.

jazakallah

Wa alaikum Assalaam WR WB Respected brother.

Well, we are here for a mutual understanding and discussion :) ...plz let us proceed with this discussion with a good manner, Insha Allah; as we all can share our views and Allah is the one who knows the best.. :)

Ok Akhi, I have searched for the history of the tie, IT HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE KUFFAR.. not at all my brother.

You can see the history over here....History is history and no one can change it my brother...there is nothing to hide..:)

http://www.how-to-tie-a-tie-video.com/history-of-the-necktie.html

Ans I kindly request you, my brother to produce your proof to show that this is a symbol of the Kuffar...

But Akhi,you cannot call an invention as a kuffar stuff, only because it was invented by the western world :)

And by the way Akhi, we all have misconceptions regarding the word "Sunnah".....

You see, prophet Muhammad (PBUH) wore whatever was there on his CULTURE... No one can say that wearing tobe or Arabic style dress code is THE sunnah... no akhi not at all....

you see we can understand Sunnah in this way.., :) I request you to watch this...

[yt]Hj17Jrjwr_w&feature[/yt]​

Dress code is coming under Sunnah Aaddah where you can see the cultural effects on it.. so you cannot say that prophet (PBUH)'s dress code is unique for Islam :) even the Arab Christians wear the same style :)

Any ways, plz do correct me if I am wrong and hoping to have a mutual discussion further Insha Allah

Allah Azzawajal knows the best

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
salaams to all

the suit & tie IS part of the dress code of the kuffaar-

jazakallah

wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh my dear brother

I am not a scholar, and you are not either. Therefore the best for us is to return to the Word of the Great Scholars of the Ummah and see what they have said according to Quran and Sunnah, rather than putting forward what "we think" in regard to sensitive matters.

Allah says in Surah al-Isra, Verse 36, "And do not pursue that of which you have no knowledge. Indeed, the hearing, the sight and the heart - about all those [one] will be questioned."

Therefore let us see what is the Fatwa of the Great Scholars regarding this issue. Not just a Fatwa of a single Scholar, but a Joint Fatwa of more than one Scholar. :)

"The basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, except those which Islam has definitely excluded, such as gold and silk for men, except in the case of scabies and the like. Wearing trousers is not something that is unique to the kuffaar, but wearing tight trousers which show the shape of the body, even the ‘awrah, is not permissible. Loose pants are permissible, unless the wearer intends to resemble those of the kuffaar who wear them. The same applies to wearing a suit and tie. These are not garments that are unique to the kuffaar, so they are permissible, unless the wearer intends to imitate them.

To sum up, the basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, unless there is shar’i evidence to show that they are not allowed, as stated above.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions."

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

Fatwa Issued by:
Shaykh ‘Abd al-Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz,
Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq al-‘Afeefi,
Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan,
Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

For the reference please refer, Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta (24/40).

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all

i wonder what kind of jeans Rasullullah (SAW) would wear if he were amongst us today?
or how about Haz Umar(RAD)?
would'nt all the Sahaba(RAD) look cool with jeans n hoodies sitting in the company of Rasullullah(SAW)?

you take that which suits you from whoever & if that same person had to change their stance tomorrow, then you would leave them & find another sheikh.

why dont you quote the fatwas of those shuyookh who say that wearing of suit & tie and other types of apparrel common to westerners is not advisable for a muslim esp when they are NOT forced/compelled to do so & have alternatives that CLEARLY INDENTIFY THEM AS MUSLIMS ?

these shuyookh whose names you have used are arabs from what i can see-why dontyou try to get the same fatwa from the ulama of Darul Uloom deoband?

jazakallah

JenGiove

salaams to all

i wonder what kind of jeans Rasullullah (SAW) would wear if he were amongst us today?
would'nt all the Sahaba(RAD) look cool with jeans n hoodies sitting in the company of Rasullullah(SAW)?

you take that which suits you from whoever & if that same person had to change their stance tomorrow, then you would leave them & find another sheikh.

why dont you quote the fatwas of those shuyookh who say that wearing of suit & tie and other types of apparrel common to westerners is not advisable for a muslim esp when they are NOT forced/compelled to do so & have alternatives that CLEARLY INDENTIFY THEM AS MUSLIMS ?

these shuyookh whose names you have used are arabs from what i can see-why dontyou try to get the same fatwa from the ulama of Darul Uloom deoband?

jazakallah

:salam2:

I'm sometimes amazed at what can be found on the internet! :) I hope this helps....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deobandi_Islamic_movement

A Deobandi (Urdu: دیو بندی) is a follower of the Deoband Islamic movement. The movement began at Darul Uloom Deoband (a madrasah) in Deoband, India, where its foundation was laid on 30 May 1866.[1] Its six notable founders were Muhammad Qasim Nanotvi, Muhammad Yaqub Nanautawi, Shah Rafi al-Din, Sayyid Muhammad Abid, Zulfiqar Ali, Fadhl al-Rahman 'Usmani and Rashid Ahmad Gangohi.[2] The Deobandi movement gained significant traction in the early 1900s, mainly due to the activities of its graduates. They, in many instances, played a key role in establishing similar institutions in other parts of the Indian subcontinent.

Deobandis are considered to be within the confines of Sunni Islam (Ahl as-Sunnah wa’l-Jamā‘ah).[3] They follow the Ash'ari and Maturidi schools of aqidah (creed). In fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) they primarily follow the Hanafi school of law while they accept the validity of the remaining three schools of Sunni Islam, namely the Shafi`i, Maliki and the Hanbali schools. In the spiritual science of Tasawwuf (Sufism) they follow the Chishti, Naqshbandi, Qadiri and Suhrawardi orders.[[4][5]

Since the 1920s the Deobandi apolitical stance has taken shape in the transnational movement Tablighi Jamaat, but Islamist trends such as those of Pakistan's Jamiatul Ulama-i Islam have also emerged from the ranks of the Deobandis.[6]

Deobandi thought, which originated in a north Indian town, has thus reached many countries, such as Pakistan,[7] South Africa and the United Kingdom.[8][9][10][11]

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/20804/Maliki

What is the madhhab followed when answering questions submitted to the site?

To which madhahib do you adhere (Shafii,Hanbali,Hanafi,Maliki)?.

Praise be to Allaah.

This issue covers two things:

1 – Rulings on which there is scholarly consensus, in which case we accept that consensus and do not ignore it.

2 – Matters concerning which the scholars differed on the ruling. Here we look at the evidence quoted for the various opinions, and we follow that which is closest to the Qur’aan and Sunnah as it appears to us, following the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“(And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day”
[al-Nisa’ 4:59]

Referring to Allaah means referring to His Book, and referring to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) means referring to his Sunnah.

In doing so, we seek the help of the work done by qualified, trustworthy scholars in differentiating between the various opinions and suggesting which are most likely to be correct, such as Imam al-Nawawi, Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr, Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, Ibn al-Qayyim, Ibn Katheer, Ibn Rajab al-‘Asqallaani, al-Shawkaani and others; and contemporary scholars such as Muhammad ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Mubaarakfoori, Muhammad al-Ameen al-Shanqeeti, ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Naasir al-Sa’di, ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz and Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah have mercy on them all.

And Allaah knows best.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
salaams to all

jazakallah

assalamu alaykum

You should not be using Rasul Allah (s) and his sahaba as an example in this way, this is incorrect etiquette and adaab. As I can not judge your intentions, this could become mockery or a cheap joke. Its not from the way of Ahlus Sunnah. It is degrading to their honour. The scholars of the past and present spoke against such rhetoric. May Allah help us, guide us to the right path and forgive us, amin.

As long as the clothing does not go against the Shariah it is allowed. Whatever the Shariah makes haram is haram.

The tashbeeh of the disbelievers is with clothes that are khaas.
---

What is the ruling on wearing trousers if they are tight and stick to one’s body, or if they are baggy in order to imitate the westerners, what if a person wears a different style from what the westerners wear?

What is the ruling on wearing suit and tie and other clothes usually used by the unbelievers? Is it acceptable because it became of Muslims’ habits and that an average Muslim will not think that they are worn to resemble the unbelievers? What should a Muslim wear nowadays?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, except those which Islam has definitely excluded, such as gold and silk for men, except in the case of scabies and the like. Wearing trousers is not something that is unique to the kuffaar, but wearing tight trousers which show the shape of the body, even the ‘awrah, is not permissible. Loose pants are permissible, unless the wearer intends to resemble those of the kuffaar who wear them. The same applies to wearing a suit and tie. These are not garments that are unique to the kuffaar, so they are permissible, unless the wearer intends to imitate them.

To sum up, the basic principle with regard to clothes is that they are permissible, unless there is shar’i evidence to show that they are not allowed, as stated above.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-Razzaaq al-‘Afeefi, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta (24/40)
---

Status
Not open for further replies.