Muslim District blossoms in Oakland (Calif)

DanyalSAC

This is so disappointing.

I post an uplifting article on how our Ummah has turned around a drug and crime ridden neighborhood and nobody bats an eyelash.

Yet there are what, 15 different threads about a baby that allegedly has the Qur'an written on him, a dozen threads on the French niqaab ban, anything bad in Palestine, and now something about the plane crash in Texas that doesn't even have anything remotely to do with Islam and that's what we focus on.

If that's the kind of reading my brothers and sisters prefer, I'm sorry I just can't provide that for you. I prefer to focus on the positive side of Islam. There are far more positive subjects out there than just Loon's conversion!

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
"They give us more business, because people hear of the (Oasis) market and then they come here," said Abdul Razak, a Pakistani immigrant who works at Oakland Halal. "Before this, it was a bar, lots of crime. But then the Muslim community came in here and there was no more crime."

:mashallah:

[FONT=Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]
:salam2:
The Four Types of Speech

Reference: As Samt : P.67

Author: Ibn Abee ad Dunyaa

Topic: Treasures

‘Alee ibn Abee Maryam narrated to me on the authority of Khalaf ibn Tameem who said that Abu Ishaaq al Fazaaree said:

Ibraheem ibn Ad-ham, may Allaah have mercy upon him, used to remain silent for long periods of time, if he spoke I would be pleased. One day he remained silent for a lengthy period of time, I said: ‘If you would speak.’ He said:

There are four types of speech:

1. The type of speech that you anticipate benefit from, but fear its consequences. It is more virtuous to be safe from such speech.
  2. Speech that you do not anticipate any benefit from, nor do you fear its consequences. By leaving such speech, the least that you would benefit is to lighten the burden on your body and tongue.
  3. Speech that you do not anticipate any benefit from, and you are not sure of its consequences. The intelligent person does not burden himself with such speech.[this third type was taken from Tahdheeb al Kamaal by al Haafidh al Mizzee as it was not included in this narration in ‘as Samt’. In another narration this type of speech is described as poison.]
  4. Speech that you anticipate benefit from, and are sure of its consequences, and this is the type of speech that you must propagate.

line-1.gif

أنواع الكلام

المرجع: الصمت : ص. 67

المؤلف :ابن أبي الدنيا

الباب: كنوز

حدثني علي بن أبي مريم عن خلف بن تميم حدثنا أبو إسحاق الفزاري قال : كان إبراهيم بن أدهم رحمه الله يطيل السكوت فإذا تكلم ربما انبسط قال : فأطال ذات يوم السكوت فقلت : لو تكلمت ؟ فقال
الكلام على أربعة وجوه

• فمن الكلام كلام ترجو منفعته وتخشى عاقبته والفضل في هذا السلامة منه

• ومن الكلام كلام لا ترجو منفعته ولا تخشى عاقبته فأقل مالك في تركه خفة المؤنة على بدنك ولسانك

• ومن الكلام كلام لا ترجو منفعته ولا تأمن عاقبته فهذا قد كفى العاقل مؤونته

• ومن الكلام كلام ترجو منفعته وتأمن عاقبته فهذا الذي يجب عليك نشره

line-1.gif

http://www.subulassalaam.com/articles/article.cfm?article_id= 117

:wasalam:
[/FONT]

DanyalSAC

[FONT=Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]
The Four Types of Speech

Reference: As Samt : P.67

Author: Ibn Abee ad Dunyaa

Topic: Treasures

‘Alee ibn Abee Maryam narrated to me on the authority of Khalaf ibn Tameem who said that Abu Ishaaq al Fazaaree said:

Ibraheem ibn Ad-ham, may Allaah have mercy upon him, used to remain silent for long periods of time, if he spoke I would be pleased. One day he remained silent for a lengthy period of time, I said: ‘If you would speak.’ He said:

There are four types of speech:

1. The type of speech that you anticipate benefit from, but fear its consequences. It is more virtuous to be safe from such speech.
  2. Speech that you do not anticipate any benefit from, nor do you fear its consequences. By leaving such speech, the least that you would benefit is to lighten the burden on your body and tongue.
  3. Speech that you do not anticipate any benefit from, and you are not sure of its consequences. The intelligent person does not burden himself with such speech.[this third type was taken from Tahdheeb al Kamaal by al Haafidh al Mizzee as it was not included in this narration in ‘as Samt’. In another narration this type of speech is described as poison.]
  4. Speech that you anticipate benefit from, and are sure of its consequences, and this is the type of speech that you must propagate.

line-1.gif

أنواع الكلام

المرجع: الصمت : ص. 67

المؤلف :ابن أبي الدنيا

الباب: كنوز

حدثني علي بن أبي مريم عن خلف بن تميم حدثنا أبو إسحاق الفزاري قال : كان إبراهيم بن أدهم رحمه الله يطيل السكوت فإذا تكلم ربما انبسط قال : فأطال ذات يوم السكوت فقلت : لو تكلمت ؟ فقال
الكلام على أربعة وجوه

• فمن الكلام كلام ترجو منفعته وتخشى عاقبته والفضل في هذا السلامة منه

• ومن الكلام كلام لا ترجو منفعته ولا تخشى عاقبته فأقل مالك في تركه خفة المؤنة على بدنك ولسانك

• ومن الكلام كلام لا ترجو منفعته ولا تأمن عاقبته فهذا قد كفى العاقل مؤونته

• ومن الكلام كلام ترجو منفعته وتأمن عاقبته فهذا الذي يجب عليك نشره

line-1.gif

http://www.subulassalaam.com/articles/article.cfm?article_id= 117

[/FONT]

I'm sorry I'm afraid I'm not getting the point you're trying to make here brother.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I think the brother was trying to get at the fact that, some of the threads you mentioned don't anticipate benefit, whereas this one, alhamdulillaah does. Allaah knows best, that's how I understood it.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Jazakallahu khair for the info. But I hope you wont give up though - posting threads which you feel is the positive side of the Islam.

Wassalam.

As-salaamu `alaykum

I think the brother was trying to get at the fact that, some of the threads you mentioned don't anticipate benefit, whereas this one, alhamdulillaah does. Allaah knows best, that's how I understood it.

jazakAllahukhairan, yes, and I was impressed by what I posted as I read it earlier today, and now reflect back on my speech.

don't feel there is no use to post information that is beneficial or good news. As there are many brothers and sisters, who are very busy with things and may view posts on TTI, but not have the chance to post a reply to anything.

[FONT=Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif]4. Speech that you anticipate benefit from, and are sure of its consequences, and this is the type of speech that you must propagate.[/FONT]

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
"When you go to the mosque, they don't discriminate," said Kamal Zein, who frequents the neighborhood and is originally from Sudan. "We are all equal in the eyes of God. That's what counts."

Masha'Allah. Islam being practiced in its pure form. Great to hear :)

JazakAllahu Khayran for sharing.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Oakland has had a wonderful history. It is it's own nation. Islam has never been a stranger there. Enjoyed it. Jazaak Allahu Kharin

DanyalSAC

Assalaam walaikum,

Oakland has had a wonderful history. It is it's own nation. Islam has never been a stranger there. Enjoyed it. Jazaak Allahu Kharin

Unfortunately - and what makes this story even more poignant - its the 5th most dangerous city in the United States.

DanyalSAC

Three brothers and myself took a road trip yesterday to visit this "Muslim District" in Oakland. We prayed Dhuhr together at the masjid on 31st, then went to the large deli/market on the corner. We bought some grocery items, ate shawarma at the deli, loaded up on freshly made maamoul (date cookies) from the bakery, and then went to the next store. Unfortunately both places sold stuff like Hookahs but at least they didn't sell beer. We then went to a huge bookstore in Berkely - this spot was pretty cool although (to use the young brother's expression in our group) "this place is really Suf'd up", meaning it was pretty Sufi. However there were still legitimate books on the shelves, and halal abayas, hijab, and niqaabs for sale - one brother bought a bunch of clothing for his wife.

It was a great day & a great field trip.

ximkoyra

Muslim District Blossoms in Oakland

In a world where negative posts are most popular, I bring an article about how Islam is turning around a bad neighborhood in Oakland, California. Be sure to check the photos - I think they're kinda cool.

Asalaamu alaikum

D.

That was a pretty nice, feel good story

Three brothers and myself took a road trip yesterday to visit this "Muslim District" in Oakland. We prayed Dhuhr together at the masjid on 31st, then went to the large deli/market on the corner. We bought some grocery items, ate shawarma at the deli, loaded up on freshly made maamoul (date cookies) from the bakery, and then went to the next store. Unfortunately both places sold stuff like Hookahs but at least they didn't sell beer. We then went to a huge bookstore in Berkely - this spot was pretty cool although (to use the young brother's expression in our group) "this place is really Suf'd up", meaning it was pretty Sufi. However there were still legitimate books on the shelves, and halal abayas, hijab, and niqaabs for sale - one brother bought a bunch of clothing for his wife.

It was a great day & a great field trip.

Sounds a lot like Dearborn, MI :D

AfricanStar

Masha'Allah this is a great story

I'm glad to hear this. The Bay area has been growing for some years now; decades even. Insha'allah that the community will continue to grow even bigger.