muslims made it to the Fashion and Style section of NY Times

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

This is a good read, I liked a lot of what these sisters had to say.

Her sister Sarah started wearing a niqab around the same time, while completing her engineering degree at Rice University. The learning curve was steep; both sisters found they needed to carry straws for drinking in public, but eating was another story. Once Sarah forgot she was wearing a niqab and took a bite of an ice cream cone..

Lol ..!!

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Salam alaikum

Jazakallahu Khair for sharing this....
But still we've to use the word : AT LEAST

Inshaa'Allah one day will come...they will admit what Islam says.....
May Allah protect us and guide them....us too

Barakallahu feekum
wassalam

kayleigh

I read this a few days ago. It was interesting. I thought it was a fresh perspective that they mentioned the treatment the women get from Muslims, not just non-Muslims. The comments were fair the last time I read them.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

What a touching story. I can only imagine how hard it is, wearing niqaab in the West. May Allaah strengthen their faith. Ameen.

This was very nice, MashaAllaah:

When reminded that hers is a rocky path, and it would likely be the same for her daughter, Ms. Ahmed paused, then began to cry.

“People don’t understand,” she said, wiping a tear with the edge of her sleeve. “We’re really strong, but it takes a toll on you. Sometimes you think, ‘I just want to rest.’ ”

Sarah, helping her sister out, said: “We think of paradise at that point. Heaven is where we’re supposed to rest. That’s what gets us through.”

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

You know when I saw the title of this I did feel quite apprehensive. A bit of a 'oh no' feeling, but really I was surprised at the tone of the article, and felt the sisters were well represented.

And I especially agree with the quote above, sometimes you have to reassert your ability yourself in a place where you're judged mainly off appearances.

wasalam

samiha

---------
Staff member
That made me giggle. That and the part about the car door :) When people surprise you in a good way... it makes you feel good :)

It's not as funny when you actually do it! Then it's just a big mess lol, navigating food and eating whilst in niqaab must be a declared an art in itself =D

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

jazakallah khairan for sharing my story with ppl:pno those sisters are strong mashallah:)

i dunno what made the sister cry in the end.but theses lines are lovedddddddd:Dby me:eek:

“We think of paradise at that point. Heaven is where we’re supposed to rest. That’s what gets us through.”

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Asalaamualaykum,

Makes a change doesn't it? an actually non negative article about hijab/niqab. Progress.

arzafar

Interesting read. The way some muslims treat other muslims for following islam to the letter is just shameful.