Nigerian TTI memebers, please help.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
This is a big story that does not seem to get any proper coverage from the media. The number of muslims killed is over 300 !! No mention of terrorism there.

May Allah (glorified He maybe) have mercy on the dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7757398.stm

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2008/11/20081130155536139788.html

Can you please shed more light on the story?

:salam2:

my fiancee, is currently in nigeria. the country is very diverse in that fact that it has the highest muslim population in all of africa and at the same time has one of the highest christian population in africa as well. there are countless tribes there as well, so tensions are very high because you have states like KANO which implements shari'a because they dominate that state, but you have states like Oyo where it's very mixed where not only are the yoruba tribe is there, but so are their arch rivals the Igbo which are mostly christian; so although it can really seem to be a religious battle it is really more of a tribal battle than anything else.

also the christian missionaries are picking up a lot of ground and muslims are leaving islam. not really because they lost faith in islam, but because the country is struggling economically and the christians have been very vigilant in offering food and medicine care; which will naturally soften up the hearts of the person in need. basically it's food, water, and medicine in one hand and a bible in the other. that's why it's so important for us muslims that can afford to give sadaqah to do so, because we are losing muslims due to deceptive means.
:wasalam:

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
If a Muslim tribe is clashing with a Christian tribe then this sounds like a religious conflict to me.

It is saddening to hear that Muslims are losing grounds, a rather not very well publicized story, although I've seen a video on youtube claiming millions of Muslims convert every year. I'm sure there is a big exaggeration there.

I agree Muslims has to be more proactive with charity. Do you know any that operates in Nigeria ?

I think knowledge is even more important.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
If a Muslim tribe is clashing with a Christian tribe then this sounds like a religious conflict to me.

It is saddening to hear that Muslims are losing grounds, a rather not very well publicized story, although I've seen a video on youtube claiming millions of Muslims convert every year. I'm sure there is a big exaggeration there.

I agree Muslims has to be more proactive with charity. Do you know any that operates in Nigeria ?

no i am not aware of any charity groups out there that are run by muslims. always be careful before sending any money to nigeria to people claiming to be charities, because 419 ( advance fee fraud scams ) are notorious. do much resource before thinking of donating directly to nigeria. if you can find an international charity that does have a reputation for doing charity in nigeria in an honest way, i would go through them.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

about the tribal thing. it's kind of like the way there are people doing things in the name of islam, but it's really about a hidden agenda. giving the appearance of being a religious conflict. because we all know that neither does islam or christianity promote violence against innocent people.