Not muslim but still getting hated

Bottlecap

Hello all, as some of you may remember I came to this forum to learn about your faith 1st hand instead of the way it's portrayed in the media. So I've come here and lurked a lot, and read a lot. I mentioned to a friend I've been learning about Islam as a faith and that it's not at all what it's been portrayed as. She asked me if I was going to become a terrorist. I couldn't believe it, I am being accused of things that I know you all are just as horrified of. *sigh*

Peace to all of you.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Welcome back!

Yes I remember reading your posts.

You see, this is just pure ignorance and a childish manner.
Some people love to hate, but it is them who are on the losing side.

Knowledge is light which many refuse to acquire.

At least you know now and I am happy you can explain the truth to those who are willing to see and hear.

Take care of yourself.

Peace

summertime

sister :)
It's great to to know that your trying to learn about our religion first hand rather than believeing in media stereotypes. As far as your friends are concerned just ignore their sarcastic comments. Don't let anyone get into your way while gaining knowledge.

Hope you enjoy your time on the site.

Bottlecap

thanks for the support, my mom asked about Islam, and when I told her about how to my knowledge that Muslims love and revere Jesus and Mary his mother, she called me a liar. *shrug*

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
Hello all, as some of you may remember I came to this forum to learn about your faith 1st hand instead of the way it's portrayed in the media. So I've come here and lurked a lot, and read a lot. I mentioned to a friend I've been learning about Islam as a faith and that it's not at all what it's been portrayed as. She asked me if I was going to become a terrorist. I couldn't believe it, I am being accused of things that I know you all are just as horrified of. *sigh*

Peace to all of you.
Hey man it's great your learning about Islam!
I'm a Roman Catholic but have been interested for months so I'm finally gonna read the Qu'ran etc and see if I would convert. There's soooo much in Islam that makes sense. So many answers to so many questions I have it' unreal how this has just been waiting for me :)

As for all the people giving you a hard time just ignore them, unfortunatley that is the common Western attitude to things like this but well done for deciding to find out for yourself! That is something to be proud of :D

Peace.

meer suhail

ILM seeker
:salam2:
well ur not the only one ,
here im posting a research paper this person lives in MI ,and here is what she wrote ,,,,,,,,,i wish u luck in ur search ,,,,,
May Allah guide us all

Over the last eight months, I have observed a very disturbing phenomenon that has dramatically changed my life. I am studying the language of Arabic, and people’s opinions of that, have greatly changed my interpersonal communications within the confines of my community and family. How people communicate with me depends on their views of Islam, and whether or not their opinions have been formed by the media, or by actual acquired knowledge such as picking up a book and reading about “True Islam.” I find that in general, people in my community hear the words “Muslim, Islam, or Arabic” and they automatically think “Terrorist.” There have been actual instances where I have walked into the bar, and people who used to be my “good friends”, have gotten up and moved to the other end, barely acknowledging my presence. In my opinion ignorance breeds fear, and fear breeds anger. This paper is an attempt to answer the questions of how racism occurs through negative media bias, and how racism can impact friendships, world views, and limit one’s ability to relate to others.
I live in a community where people are educated about the world outside of the United States by such resources as “Fox News”, “CNN”, and “MSNBC”. It is my opinion that the negative media blitz that is currently happening was created when President George Bush made the fateful statement after 911. The statement that President Bush made “Why do they hate us?” he asked the nation in an address before congress and he went on to answer with “They hate what they see right here in this chamber – a democratically elected government,” he continued. “They hate our freedoms: our freedom of religion, our freedom on speech, our freedom to vote and assemble and disagree with each other” (Cooper, par 2,3). As per usual with President Bush, this statement was totally unqualified and the media took things from here. At the very least because there is no compulsion in Islam, no one is forced to be a Muslim. “There is no compulsion in matters of faith…” (Al - Qur’an 2:256 ). So therefore, there is freedom of religion in Islam.
Many media programs refer to Islam as a “Fringe extremist group,” as a whole, even though a fringe group usually refers to a small group of people who are not part of the whole. Yet “With more than 1 billion adherents, Islam is the world’s second – largest religion after Christianity” (Jost, par. 1). What most people in general don’t understand when they hear these terms, is that it is not Islam as a whole that is the fringe group; the extremists are the fringe group. Yet these kinds of carefully selected terms used by the media, have sent the American people into a panic, and caused them to think that “all” Muslims are extremists. The worst thing about this is that most people don’t know the difference between an Islam extremist (Islamist) and a true Muslim, or follower of “True Islam.”
Many people forget the violent past of Christianity. “Islam, like ALL religions, has its historical share of violence,” acknowledges Stephen Schwartz, an adult convert to Islam…”But there’s no reason to single out Islam” (Jost, par. 37). It seems that the media has declared war on the human intellect, and won. According to Edward Said, “Israel and the United states, deliberately using the weapons of mass media, psychological warfare, and political pressure, have … been leading a campaign against Islam… ” (Said, par. 3). The worst thing about this is that the American people do not even realize how much the media influences their thoughts. According to an article in “New Perspectives Quarterly,” “Western print and television journalists, as well as Hollywood producers have still not understood the power they wield in this age. They have deliberately added fuel to the fire between the West and Muslims by their constant depiction of negative stereotypes” (Akbar, par. 2). The only things that the media shows the American people, are the negative things, without showing the positive, and the American people accept this as the absolute truth, never questioning that it may be biased and subjective. In a recent chat I had with a journalist from Goa, India, he told me “When I was nobody, I spoke the truth, and no one listened. Now I am somebody, and everyone listens to what I say, but now I don’t always speak the truth.”
I worked on part of this paper at work. The things that were being directed at me while I was writing made me want to cry. The negativity and lies that were being said were terrible. People just do not want to hear the truth because they have been influenced by lies for so long. I had actual proof in my hand that the media was biased, feeding them lies that they were believing; they said it was all lies, that all Muslims are terrorists who want to blow up America. Since I study Arabic now, I am considered by many people to be a threat. I think they are afraid of the truth after all the bad press they have seen: “…our perception of the Muslim American has been formulated by glimpses of Hollywood movies showing Arab fanatics hijacking a plane (see “Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People”, Jack G. Shaheen, Interlink publishing Group, 2001) or a “Dateline” documentary on female honor killings or Stephen Emerson’s malicious bestseller book “American jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us” (Free Press, 2002). As long as our perception of Muslims in America is based on stereotypical fallacies that can be traced to isolated cases propagated by the media, then the rate of anti – Muslim hate crimes, violence, and discrimination will continue to rise in this country.” (Mubarak, par. 3)
There is a series of videos on YouTube that I wish everyone in the world was forced to watch. I get anyone I can to sit down and watch the best one, and anyone who does watch, comes away enlightened. As Baba Ali from UmmahFilms said, “Who hijacked my religion? I turn on the T.V, and I see this guy explaining Islam, but he’s talking nonsense, I’m like what religion is this guy talking about, not only does he not have any idea what he is saying, but he’s not even Muslim, that’s like getting a Hindu guy to teach Christianity……somehow they keep giving the limelight, to these extremists.. coincidence? I don’t think so. This is how they build an opinion about a group of people, so people end up hating Muslims, but their hatred, is based on ignorance. People aren’t born racists, prejudice is something that is learned. They don’t necessarily come out and say all Muslims are terrorists, but they’ll do everything else so that YOU come up with that opinion” (ummahfilms, Vlog#9).
What has happened to the brains of the people living in this country?
It is like Americans have lost their ability to think or learn as individuals. Is the media really that powerful? Many people have had enough of the media and have started picking up books to read, and learn about Islam for themselves. This is why (in my opinion) Islam is the fastest growing religion in the United States today. If a person has an open mind, and starts to read about “True Islam”, it is hard not to be curious. If a person sees a Muslim practicing Islam the way it is meant to be practiced, there is no way that they can still believe that it is the violent religion that the media portrays it to be. With people treating me the way they do in my community and family, just because I am learning Arabic, what would happen if they knew that I had converted to Islam several months ago? “O men, we created you from a male and female, and formed you into nations and tribes that you may recognize each other. He who has more integrity has indeed greater honour with God. Surely God is all – knowing and well – informed” (Al – Qur’an 49:13).

gazkour

Salam

I just find 'amazing' how people blame us on being hateful, terrorist, ignorant, intolerant and so on, while it is THEM exactly behaving absurdly like all that!
May Allah guide them.

Greetings of peace.

palestine

Servant of Allah
i do remember you. mashallah. my friend this is not the first time we've been blamed as you know. even really close family members of yours might say the same thing. because they still don't want to hear about islam- period. i hope that since you see the truth of islam that you will embrace it. i hope so one day. if not that is your choice and i'm sorry about your friend. she really doesn't seem to know what she's saying. greetings of peace cousin.

nizar83

selemu aleikum

bottlecap, im glad you have experienced this,,,not because i want bad or difficult times for you..im glad because now you have seen how people react..its this automatic evil and ignorant reaction many people are wired with, ALL BASED ON LIES and NO KNOWLEDGE

it saddens every muslim, every muslim on this temporary world whenever a person talks such nonsens on islam and muslims...and especially when they talk nonsens on the 1 god, creator of the heavens and the earth and his final messenger mohammed peace be upon him.

and still, we try our best to be the best society we can be, all for the sake of god

Bluegazer

Hello Bottlecap,

I'm sorry your mother called you a "liar" for saying that we Muslims love and respect Jesus [peace be upon him] and Mary. I suggest you take up massi's advice [on post #5]. Please have a translation of the meanings of the Qur'an ready [with the pages to the verses about Jesus and Mary clearly marked] and open the subject with her again. And this time, if she starts calling you a "liar" again, show her these verses.

By the way, is your mother a Catholic? If she is, then it might be worth reading my next post on this thread [which will be addressed to patrick1990].

Best regards,

Bluegazer

faithzilla

Had Left TTI
thanks for the support, my mom asked about Islam, and when I told her about how to my knowledge that Muslims love and revere Jesus and Mary his mother, she called me a liar. *shrug*

say to your mother that Muslim is more Christian than Christian itself.
Want a proof

check the virgin Mary dress code,surprisingly it's the same as hijab :shymuslima1:
Little interesting article

Virgin Mary’s Hijab

Italy's interior minister is now accused of religious extremism, not Christian extremism - which is his religion, rather extremism for Islam. This was a result of Galliano Amato's announcement; he can not oppose Muslim women to wear Hijab, simply because the Virgin Mary wore it as well! She is not only the mother of Jesus (peace be upon him), but also one of four women considered most honorable since the beginning of time - according to Islamic view, the most honorable four women are Virgin Mary, Asiah the wife of Pharaoh who protected Moses (peace be upon him), and Prophet Mohammed's wife Khadija, and daughter Fatima.

The Interior minister is now subjected to secular pressure calling to counter the spread of hijab amongst Muslim women in Italy, including Italian women who embrace Islam. They consider this phenomenon to be a danger to Christian culture. Galliano Amato responded "if the virgin was wearing Hijab, how can you ask me to oppose any women wearing it", explaining that the woman who is the recipient of most love over history of mankind, has always been pictured wearing Hijab. This caused a real disaster as such groups are now calling to change all the images of the virgin, replace them with new images without Hijab!

Bottlecap

selemu aleikum

bottlecap, im glad you have experienced this,,,not because i want bad or difficult times for you..im glad because now you have seen how people react..its this automatic evil and ignorant reaction many people are wired with, ALL BASED ON LIES and NO KNOWLEDGE

it saddens every muslim, every muslim on this temporary world whenever a person talks such nonsens on islam and muslims...and especially when they talk nonsens on the 1 god, creator of the heavens and the earth and his final messenger mohammed peace be upon him.

and still, we try our best to be the best society we can be, all for the sake of god
nizar83, I have to say, at first I was a little offended by your comment, but I knew you didn't mean it in an aggressive way. And yes I do kind of feel like I'm getting hate for something that if I want to get technical, I'm not a part of. But it seems to me like you all here are the ones who let me jump in and answer my stupid questions and information. Not to mention support when I am feeling over-whellmed, is this what it can be like day after day?

A Kashmiri

Surah Hujurat, Ch. 49 : V. No. 11 and 12

" Oh ye who believe, let not some men among you laugh at the others – You may never know, that the latter may be better than the former. Let not some women among you, laugh at the other – You may never know, that the latter may be better than the former. Do not defame one another, nor be sarcastic or call each other with nicknames. Avoid suspicion, for in many cases suspicion is a sin. Do not spy on one another, do not backbite, do not speak ill of one another behind their backs. Are you ready to eat the dead meat of your brother "

Bottlecap

By the way, is your mother a Catholic? If she is, then it might be worth reading my next post on this thread [which will be addressed to patrick1990].

Best regards,

Bluegazer

That's what's so frustrating, she's not Catholic, she's not very christian at all. Easter she just made steak and the most religious thing she did was have a chocolate easter egg.

sajjuaiah

Hello BottleCap,

Welcome to TTI,

Before you dialogue/debate please acquire good knowledge of Islam.

Your knowledge in Islam is your sword.

Go to : www.irf.net / www.islam101.com

May Allah help you to learn this beautiful relegion and protect you in everydifficulty. :tti_sister:

Regards,

wantobeMumin

After living in America for half of my life i have concluded that i will always be a stranger in this land because i am a muslim and the same goes to all the other muslims, converts or not.
Brother i am sorry that u had to face hostility even though u r not a muslim. but that shudnt put u off from seeking the right path. This life is nothing we are asleep under a tree just taking an afternoon nap and when we die we wake up and in the end its all worth it.

mutaqoon

That's what's so frustrating, she's not Catholic, she's not very christian at all. Easter she just made steak and the most religious thing she did was have a chocolate easter egg.

I feel your friend's and your mom's reactions are quite expected. They are basically trying to dissuade you from learning more about Islam. I think *they feel* that they are doing good by discouraging you and calling you names. they are hoping you would stop learning about Islam when you are being criticised. So its basically out of their concern for your well being and out of fear that you might end up being a muslim. Funny thing is, it might work the other way! you might perhaps get more motivated to learn more about Islam and prove them wrong.