Organ Donations???

muslimaislam

As-Salam Alikum

I know that we can donate a kidney while we are alive because we can remain alive & in good health with one kidney.

My questions is; once we have died are we able to donate our organs to be used by other people to improve there health & way of life?

I know that we should be buried as soon as we can when we die.

Salam

kayleigh

I've run into Muslims that think it is haram when you are dead, which makes no sense to me. I spoke to one scholar who says there was a difference, but he was personally of the opinion that it is allowed.

There's a big article on it here, but here is the relevant excerpt from the article:

"It is permissible to transplant an organ from a dead person to a living person whose life or basic essential functions depend on that organ, subject to the condition that permission be given by the deceased before his death, or by his heirs after his death, or by the authorities in charge of the Muslims if the identity of the deceased is unknown or he has no heirs."

This article presents both points of view and has a breakdown of why some people think it is allowed, and some do not.