photos

aishajor

asalamu'alaykum

what is the ruling on photos
i know picture are haram if the picture has something with a soul. e.g animals

but what about photos, see i have photos for memorys...

what do you think

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

There are a number of fataawaa on the issue, the conclusions varying somewhat from scholar to scholar. This is what the Permenant Committee has to say,

Question:

Does the ruling on drawing and carving apply to photographs?
Answer:

The correct opinion on this issue, the one that is supported by Shari’ah proofs, and the one that is held by the majority of the scholars, is that the prohibition on pictures of people and animals includes photography, drawing, and sculpting. This is due to the generality of the proofs, and in the past the Permanent Committee for Scientific Researches and Religious Verdicts has, under its current chairmanship, issued a verdict on this topic, a copy of which we are sending to you for your benefit. With Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

May Allaah send peace and blessing upon His servant Muhammad, as well as his family and companions.

Permanent Committee for Research and Verdicts

Fatawa Islamiyah, vol.8, p.155, DARUSSALAM

kayleigh

:salam2:

Someone just told me the other day that it's wrong to display photographs of people, but if you keep them in a photo album or something then it's OK. Does anyone know if that's true?

liaa

!

is it true that angels don't enter rooms that have pictures in it? or in rooms where u can find alcohol? and pls don't close this thread cause i never find them again! Lol ! :D i would apreciate if someone could answer me !
p.s. i would like to read a hadith about this !, if anyone knows any link.

Mafaza_Muslimah

is it true that angels don't enter rooms that have pictures in it? or in rooms where u can find alcohol? and pls don't close this thread cause i never find them again! Lol ! i would apreciate if someone could answer me !
p.s. i would like to read a hadith about this !, if anyone knows any link.

heres ur Answer of that question:
HADITH

it was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) strongly forbade hanging pictures, and he commanded his great Companion ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, “Do not leave any picture without blotting it out and do not leave any built-up grave without levelling it.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1/66). Hanging up pictures of animate beings deprives the people of that house of a great blessing, which is the entrance of angels into that house. It was reported from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are statues or pictures.” (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1961).

and remeber:

Let us not forget that the shirk committed by the people of Nooh (peace be upon him) started because they set up pictures and images of some righteous people who had lived among them. So be very careful. May Allaah help us and you to do all that pleases Him and earns His forgiveness. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Assalam alikum

Mafaza

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

It doesn't matter who the photos are of. I can't think of a single credible scholar who is known for upright belief as well as an abundance of knowledge, who says that taking memorial photos of people, hanging them up etc is allowed in Islaam.

ja_tu_miluju

i apologise, but I am confused, are we speaking of hanging the photo's as being haram or not, and is it applying to a photo album as well?

again, sorry, I just don't understand

kayleigh

i apologise, but I am confused, are we speaking of hanging the photo's as being haram or not, and is it applying to a photo album as well?

again, sorry, I just don't understand

Thats what I'm wondering as well. If the problem with hanging pictures is that one might begin to worship the image, then the photo album has a completely different purpose. and, you NEED photos in your day to day life - ID cards and what not. So...?