Please answer......

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all my brothers and sisters are doing well in both health and Iman during these last days of Ramadan.

Im so sorry to be so annoying with all my recent questions but now I am in a situation where new things are coming up each day and I am living with a very nice Muslim family so everything is new for me.

I have a few questions that need answers if anyone is able. I appreciate your effort and may Allah reward you Ameen.

1) Islamically is it necessary for a woman to clip her fingernails or is it ok to have long nails as long as she doesnt use nail polish (which I already know wudu cannot be performed properly when wearing nail polish).

2) I know we are not supposed to wear cologne or perfume during Ramadan but is it ok to wear deodorant if it is scented?

3) Is it ok for a woman to shave her legs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and again please forgive my constant questions.

wa salam

The_truth

As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all my brothers and sisters are doing well in both health and Iman during these last days of Ramadan.

Im so sorry to be so annoying with all my recent questions but now I am in a situation where new things are coming up each day and I am living with a very nice Muslim family so everything is new for me.

I have a few questions that need answers if anyone is able. I appreciate your effort and may Allah reward you Ameen.

1) Islamically is it necessary for a woman to clip her fingernails or is it ok to have long nails as long as she doesnt use nail polish (which I already know wudu cannot be performed properly when wearing nail polish).

2) I know we are not supposed to wear cologne or perfume during Ramadan but is it ok to wear deodorant if it is scented?

3) Is it ok for a woman to shave her legs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and again please forgive my constant questions.

wa salam

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister you can ask whatever questions you like so please do not feel that you are inconveniencing or putting a burden upon anyone.

1) It is Mustahabb (commendable and desirable) to pair the finger nails
every Friday. Only a Mujahid is exempted from this and it is preferrable
that he lenghtens his nails because it can be used as a weapon to attack the
enemy. It was aso the blessed habit of Nabi alaihis salaam that he would
pair his nails and not let them grow long. It is also noted in the books on
Jurisprudence that he who lengthens his nails, his sustenance and income
becomes straitened and restricted. (Shaami vol. 6 pg. 405, H.M. Saeed).

Also, one should remenber that at the time of wudhu it is necessary for the
validity of the wudhu that water reaches below the nails if the nails are
longer than normal. Many a times women are busy in their choirs of the
kitchen wherein different types of ingredients tend to stick under the nails
and if not removed, Wudhu will be invalid if it does reach the bottom of the
nails. Therefore it will not be permissible to keep long nails
unnecessarily.

2) Women are not supposed to wear any perfume which has a strong odour when going out anywhere. This applies ALL throughout the year not just in Ramadan.Here are some hadith relating to the prohibition of women wearing odoured perfume:

1. Allah's Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, "The perfume for
men is the fragrance is apparent but the colour is hidden, and the perfume
for women is the colour is apparent but the fragrance is hidden."
(Mishkaat
Hadith4443)

2. Allah's Messenger (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: Every eye is
lustful and when a woman applies perfume and then goes about in an assembly,
she is like such and such, i.e. an adulteress.
(Mishkat Hadith1065)

3. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: If a woman applies perfume, she must not attend the night prayer with us. Ibn Nufayl said: Isha' means night prayer. (Abu Dawud Hadith4163)

4. Narrator: Abu Hurayra - A woman met him and he found the fragrance of perfume in her. Her clothes were fluttering in the air. He said: O maid-servant of the Almighty, are you coming from the mosque? She replied: Yes. He said: You used perfume? She replied: Yes. He said: I heard my beloved Abul Qasim (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) say: The prayer of a woman who uses perfume is not accepted until she returns and takes a bath like that of sexual defilement. (Abu Dawud4162)

5. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: If a woman uses perfume and passes the people so that they may get its fragrance, she is so-and-so, meaning severe remarks. (Abu Dawud Hadith4161)

6. The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: I do not ride on purple,
or wear a garment dyed with saffron, or wear shirt hemmed with silk.
Pointing to the collar of his shirt al-Hasan (al-Basri) said: The perfume
used by men should have fragrance but no colour, and the perfume used by
women should have a colour but no odour.

Sa'id said: I think he said: They interpreted his tradition about perfume
used by women as applying when she comes out. But when she is with her
husband, she may use any perfume she wishes. (Abu Dawud Hadith4037)

The reason for this prohibition is quite clear, which is that women’s fragrance may cause undue provocation of desires. The scholars also included other things under this heading of things to be avoided by women who want to go to the mosque, such as beautiful clothes, jewellery that can be seen, excessive adornments and mingling with men. See Fath al-Baari, 2/279.

Therefore when a women is with her husband she can use whatever strong perfume she likes but when she goes out she must not wear a perfume with a odour.

Studies have shown that there is a direct connection between the sense of smell and the provocation of desire. If this is true, then it is one of the signs that prove even to the kuffaar how precise are the rulings of this sharee’ah which came to preserve chastity and to block the ways that lead to immorality.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

3) It is permissable for a women to remove hair from her legs but she must NOT get it waxed from another women because a women CANNOT show her body from the navel to her knees to anyone including another women.

and Allah knows best in all matters

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear brother for answering my questions but the one about the perfume I already knew the information you posted but my question was not exactly perfume but rather deodorant. Meaning applying deodorant under arms after showering to prevent foul odor from forming.

I would appreciate the answer about deodorant if anyone knows please.

In case I forget to post it I wish happy EID AL FITR to all my brothers and sisters

wa salam

The_truth

As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear brother for answering my questions but the one about the perfume I already knew the information you posted but my question was not exactly perfume but rather deodorant. Meaning applying deodorant under arms after showering to prevent foul odor from forming.

I would appreciate the answer about deodorant if anyone knows please.

In case I forget to post it I wish happy EID AL FITR to all my brothers and sisters

wa salam

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, of course a women can wear antiperspirant to prevent bodily odour but it should not have a strong odour. There are plenty of antiperspirant sprays and roll ons out there which do the same job but without any strong odour.

And Allah knows best

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan brother for all of your help and may Allah reward you for your help.

wa salam

Isra

aka Tree2008
Ok since you have offered I actually do have another question........when your gums bleed during fasting does that blood break the fast??? Sometimes that happens when the mouth gets so dry from fasting but I didnt think that would break the fast.

Jazakallah khairan for all of your help because this is the only website I trust to ask questions about Islam knowing I will get answers with proof. May Allah reward you for all of your kindness and help Ameen.

wa salam

The_truth

Ok since you have offered I actually do have another question........when your gums bleed during fasting does that blood break the fast??? Sometimes that happens when the mouth gets so dry from fasting but I didnt think that would break the fast.

Jazakallah khairan for all of your help because this is the only website I trust to ask questions about Islam knowing I will get answers with proof. May Allah reward you for all of your kindness and help Ameen.

wa salam

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazkallahu khayran for your question sister which is always welcome.

If a person's gums bleed and he then swallows the blood, then his fast would break if he perceives the taste of the blood in his throat or if the blood is so much that his spit has turned red. If the spit hasn't turned red, neither did he perceive the taste, the swallowing the blood wouldn't render the fast invalid.

Yes, if a person suffers from excessive bleeding of the gums to such an extent that he regularly swallows blood without even intending to do so, then this person would be excused and his fast will not break by his swallowing blood. As for what you remember studying, it is concerning the Wudhu breaking not the fast. (refer Ahsanul Fataawa vol.4 pg.448)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
3) It is permissable for a women to remove hair from her legs but she must NOT get it waxed from another women because a women CANNOT show her body from the navel to her knees to anyone including another women.

and Allah knows best in all matters

As-salaamu `alaykum

Respected brother, this opinion has no basis in the sharee`ah. It is said that a woman can reveal only the places of adornment in front of other women, based on the famous aayah in the Surah An-Noor. That would include then the head, neck, wrists, shin etc.

Also, it would've been more right to say that a woman can get her body hair waxed, but not in the areas of her `awrah. You've basically said a Muslim woman must not get her hair on her legs waxed in totality, which is wrong.

See this book for more info.

The_truth

As-salaamu `alaykum

Respected brother, this opinion has no basis in the sharee`ah. It is said that a woman can reveal only the places of adornment in front of other women, based on the famous aayah in the Surah An-Noor. That would include then the head, neck, wrists, shin etc.

Also, it would've been more right to say that a woman can get her body hair waxed, but not in the areas of her `awrah. You've basically said a Muslim woman must not get her hair on her legs waxed in totality, which is wrong.

See this book for more info.

Wa Alaikum Asalaam Wr Wb, Yes my wording could have been better. What does not have any basis in the shariah?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Wa Alaikum Asalaam Wr Wb, Yes my wording could have been better. What does not have any basis in the shariah?

Sorry, I should've said that the view that a woman's `awrah is from navel to knees in front of other woman is devoid of proof from the Qu'raan and Sunnah. Some of the fataawaa in that book I attached explain in detail.

The_truth

Sorry, I should've said that the view that a woman's `awrah is from navel to knees in front of other woman is devoid of proof from the Qu'raan and Sunnah. Some of the fataawaa in that book I attached explain in detail.

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, According to IslamQA:

What is established among the fuqaha’ is that the ‘awrah of a woman with another woman is the area between the navel and the knee, whether the woman is her mother or sister or is not her mahram. It is not permissible for a woman to look at the area between the navel and the knee of another woman, except in cases of necessity such as medical treatment and the like.

This does not mean that a woman may sit among other women with all of her body uncovered except the area between the navel and the knee. No one does that except women who are promiscuous and negiligent, or immoral and evildoers. The words of the scholars, “The ‘awrah is the area between the navel and the knee” should not be misunderstood, because this does not mean that this is how women should always dress and show themselves among their sisters and friends. No wise person would accept that and it is not what the fitrah (sound human nature) calls for.

Rather the way a woman should dress among other women is in clothes that cover properly and express her modesty and dignity. She should not show anything except that which appears when she is working and serving others, such as the head, neck, forearms and feet, as we have mentioned when discussing mahrams above.

Ref: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/82994

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, According to IslamQA:

What is established among the fuqaha’ is that the ‘awrah of a woman with another woman is the area between the navel and the knee, whether the woman is her mother or sister or is not her mahram. It is not permissible for a woman to look at the area between the navel and the knee of another woman, except in cases of necessity such as medical treatment and the like.

This does not mean that a woman may sit among other women with all of her body uncovered except the area between the navel and the knee. No one does that except women who are promiscuous and negiligent, or immoral and evildoers. The words of the scholars, “The ‘awrah is the area between the navel and the knee” should not be misunderstood, because this does not mean that this is how women should always dress and show themselves among their sisters and friends. No wise person would accept that and it is not what the fitrah (sound human nature) calls for.

Rather the way a woman should dress among other women is in clothes that cover properly and express her modesty and dignity. She should not show anything except that which appears when she is working and serving others, such as the head, neck, forearms and feet, as we have mentioned when discussing mahrams above.

Ref: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/82994

Wa`alaykum us-salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh

Jazaak Allaahu khayran, this is the opinion I once inclined towards. However, notice how its devoid is aayaat and ahaadeeth. That's because the aayaat of the Qur'aan and ahaadeeth oppose this view, as stated by many shuyookh including some of the senior Saudis, Al-Albaanee, Mash'hoor Hasan etc. Al-Albaanee said,

"How can they say that the `Awrah of the woman to other women is what is between the navel and knees?

This opinion - after the fact that - it does not have any basis in the Book or in the Sunnah, rather it is opposing the statement of The Exalted in the verse in Surah An-Noor..."​

"And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed."​

And it is known that the areas of adornment are those areas that are adorned by jewellery (as noted by the sahaabah, explainers of the Qur'aan), which include the hands, head, hair, neck, wrists, shins and feet.

Since the area is of general different perhaps I should leave this point at this. But since this view is in closer agreement to the texts of legislation I thought I'd mention it.

The_truth

Wa`alaykum us-salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh

Jazaak Allaahu khayran, this is the opinion I once inclined towards. However, notice how its devoid is aayaat and ahaadeeth. That's because the aayaat of the Qur'aan and ahaadeeth oppose this view, as stated by many shuyookh including some of the senior Saudis, Al-Albaanee, Mash'hoor Hasan etc. Al-Albaanee said,

"How can they say that the `Awrah of the woman to other women is what is between the navel and knees?

This opinion - after the fact that - it does not have any basis in the Book or in the Sunnah, rather it is opposing the statement of The Exalted in the verse in Surah An-Noor..."​

"And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed."​

And it is known that the areas of adornment are those areas that are adorned by jewellery (as noted by the sahaabah, explainers of the Qur'aan), which include the hands, head, hair, neck, wrists, shins and feet.

Since the area is of general different perhaps I should leave this point at this. But since this view is in closer agreement to the texts of legislation I thought I'd mention it.

I am sure all fuqaha, muhaddith, mufasireen and scholars of Islam will want to give verdicts and opinions which are closest to the Qur'an and Sunnah but the fact is that you and i are just mere lay people and we follow what opinion or scholars we are inclined towards and naturally we would want to believe that we are following an opinion or view which is closest to the Qur'an and Sunnah.

The conclusion is that there will always be differences of opinion amongst scholars and that is to be expected but to make such statements as to imply that saying "The opinion i am inclined towards is closer to the Qur'an and Sunnah" is just a fallacy because who would'nt want to believe that the opinion they follow or are inclined towards is closer to the Qur'an and Sunnah?

Therefore we as lay people should not make such statements because we are not of the learned and we do not have sufficient knowledge of fiqh as to make such conclusions.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Also akhee taqaballahu minna wa minkum. May you and your family have a wondeful Eid. Please remember me in your dua's

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome and EID MUBARAK to all of my brothers and sisters at TTI

Jazakallah khairan to the dear brothers who are here answering my questions and may Allah reward you for your help and kindness Ameen.

As it is now EID AL FITR and no longer Ramadan I wont be asking too many fasting questions anymore but I am positive I will come up with other questions and will post as they come to my mind. I just really want to say how much I appreciate you all for helping me with my Islam as I am still so new and unknowlegable. I will keep you in my dua and pray that Allah will bless and reward you.

wa salam

Peaceful661

Isn't the saying that the awrah is from knavel to the knee only for men, not for women. I've heard some people say that if non-mahram man looks accidently at any other part then the face and hands of a women then it is like he saw her naked.