Praying in a moving vehicle?

Aroosak

:salam2:

As I was coming back from school the other day I witnessed a brother praying his salah in the bus. First I wasn't sure he was praying it but after a few minutes I could recognize all the movements. He was sitting down and prayed the same way people pray in a chair. I can't lie many times I wanted to pray my maghrib salah in the bus since I have such a long ride home I often feel I am gonna miss it. But is it even possible praying in a moving vehicle? I mean we are supposed to be facing the qiblah but the bus turns at different directions making us not being able to face it at all times. Can someone enlighten me?

gr8 muslim

it is probably better to pray in the bus than to miss the prayer altogether. Also once when i went for eid salah in the mosque the wasn't engough space for my family to pray so we did what the other familys were doing and we made a sort of circle outside the prayer room and prayed there.(however we went for the next salah half an hour later because the salah might not have been accepted.)

sclavus

Yes you can, sister. But there are certain rulings.

All you need to know about prayer is here:

http://www.fatwa-online.com/downloads/dow004/prophetsprayer.chm.

This file includes:

The Prophet's Wudhoo Described- by Fahd ibn 'Abdir Rahman ash-Shuwaib. Translated by Daawood Burbank.

The Prophet's Prayer Described- from the beginning to the end as though you see it by Shaykh Muhammad Naasiruddeen al-Albaanee. Translated by Usama ibn Suhaib Hasan.

The Night Prayer in Ramadaan- Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee.

The Conditions, Pillars and Requirements of the Prayer- Sh. Muhammad bin 'Abdil-Wahhaab.

The Prostration of Forgetfulness - Sajdatus-Sahw. Shaikh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaimeen.

If you still have questions, just let us know.

:salam2:​

xAllahKnowsBestx

I found this:

From Islamqa

Praying in cars, planes, trains or other means of conveyance, where one cannot face the qiblah or pray standing, is not permissible in the case of obligatory prayers unless two conditions are met:

1 – There should be the fear that the time for the obligatory prayer will end before reaching your destination. But if you will reach your destination before the time for prayer is over, you should wait until you get there to pray.

2 – It should not be possible to get off and pray on the ground. If it is possible to do so then you must do that.

If these two conditions are met, then it is permissible to pray in the vehicle. The evidence for it being permissible to pray in this case is the general meaning of the verses in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah burdens not a person beyond his scope”

[al-Baqarah 2:286]

“So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can”

[al-Taghaabun 64:16]

“and [Allaah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship”

[al-Hajj 22:78]

If it is said, If I am allowed to pray in these vehicles, should I face the qiblah and should I pray sitting even though I am able to stand? The answer is:

If you are able to face the qiblah throughout the prayer, then you must do that, because it is a condition of an obligatory prayer being valid whether one is travelling or not. See Question no. 10945.

If it is not possible to face the qiblah throughout the prayer, then fear Allaah as much as you can and do your best, because of the evidence narrated above.

This has to do with obligatory prayers. With regard to supererogatory (naafil) prayers, the matter is more relaxed; it is permissible for the Muslim to pray in the vehicles mentioned no matter what direction they are facing, even if he could get down on the ground at some times, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray naafil prayers on his mount no matter what direction it was facing. Jaabir narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “used to pray voluntary prayers when he was riding without facing the qiblah.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1094). But it is better to face the qiblah when starting to pray a naafil prayer, if that is possible when travelling.

See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 8/124

With regard to offering obligatory prayers sitting down when one is able to stand, that is not permissible because of the general meaning of the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stand before Allaah with obedience”

[al-Baqarah 2:238]

and because of the hadeeth of ‘Imraan ibn Husayn, according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to him: “Pray standing; if you cannot, then sitting; and if you cannot then lying on your side.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1117).

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 8/126.