"Progression of American Islam" in Pictures due to 9/11

tic_tac_toe

I am Sorry to say this but everyday I am waking up to some Imam or some Scholar watering down some apparent aspect of Sunnah and by apparent aspect of Sunnah I mean a sign which distinguishes a believer from a Non-believer I am ethnically Asian which means if you shave my Beard (or trim it nicely) and put normal clothes I look no different then a Hindu or a Sikh, similarly if you take Abdullah (formerly John Smith) shave his Beard (or trim it nicely) put normal clothes on he looks no different then any other "John Smith". Take Aisha (formerly Tracy White) and put a stylish scarf on her, hip clothes intelligently disguised as Shariah compliant she looks no different then any other Tracy White!

Niqab has already been made into a disputed issue and considered a danger to our survival in the West.

In my younger days in certain American communities you could see Revert brothers with long Beards and ankle high Thaubs and Revert Sisters with Niqab, walking around in communities on the East Coast of USA in traditional Revert communities you don't see it anymore or not as much.

It used to give me an Eemaan Boost just watching so many Muslim men Muslim women in Niqab so I sort of miss that : - (

As a born Muslim in our families people used to talk about Brother Abdullah with Big Beard or Sister Aisha with Niqab you know why? Because deep down we felt guilty!

I have heard first hand Imam Siraj Wahaj really give to Pakistani/Indian immigrants about their lack of apparent Sunnah but what I see now is simply watering down of the Sunnah.

It hurts brother, it really really hurts to see this!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Let's try balance. There are many African American communities that shame everyone. I have walked away from the immigrant communities. I will pray for them. They are a confused lot. As the song writer sang they want it all and they want it now.

As for these scholars..they are still able to have some access to an audience. Knowledge can still be shared. It is no joke to be a serious Muslim here. Don't we have enough locked up? They have to be taken seriously. The minor change in looks makes it easier for them to travel and have bookings. They can still have influence on the political scene. That door is open.

Also, it is what the audience demands. Those who go to the lectures are scrutinized. They do not want to be seen as supporting radical Islam. You have to judge the audience as well. Everyone is running scared.

There is no freedom of speech in the US. At least these brothers are not killing other Muslims as in other parts of the world and demanding that we share in their zeal for blood.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

They appear neat and clean. That is the fabric of the US. You have to look neat and clean.

The clothes are tailor made. They are made from fabrics used in this part of the world. It is not a major issue. In some places it is too cold to wear white cotton. It makes sense to wear woolen jackets. The length of the jackets are below the knee.

They appeal to those who are similar in tastes. Brother, the NYPD took down the license plate numbers of the attendees of a masjid. Everyone is being watched.

I see this as nit-picking.

People in the States are just coming around to understanding who was behind 9/11. Let the tide turn. I have been called all kinds of names even on this website about the truth behind 9/11. Men can't get jobs; I have worked with Muslims who came up to me and whispered they were Muslims.

If a man dresses appropriately but serves the wrong master what does that make him? If he kills other Muslims what does that make him? He can look like a scholar/imam but is he really?

tic_tac_toe

Assalaam alaikum,

They appear neat and clean. That is the fabric of the US. You have to look neat and clean.

The clothes are tailor made. They are made from fabrics used in this part of the world. It is not a major issue. In some places it is too cold to wear white cotton. It makes sense to wear woolen jackets. The length of the jackets are below the knee.

They appeal to those who are similar in tastes. Brother, the NYPD took down the license plate numbers of the attendees of a masjid. Everyone is being watched.

I see this as nit-picking.

People in the States are just coming around to understanding who was behind 9/11. Let the tide turn. I have been called all kinds of names even on this website about the truth behind 9/11. Men can't get jobs; I have worked with Muslims who came up to me and whispered they were Muslims.

If a man dresses appropriately but serves the wrong master what does that make him? If he kills other Muslims what does that make him? He can look like a scholar/imam but is he really?

USA is neither paradise on earth nor are Muslims obligated to live in the land of Milk & Honey so get out! The fore-fathers of many American Muslims of today migrated to the country so the present generation can move out and they are under compulsion to appear "neat and clean" compromise their religion simply to live!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Two issues,

You have not addressed the others outside of the US, those who transgress the limits of the faith.

For many of us this is home. There is no where to go. This is not the land of milk and honey. That is the Hollywood dream. This is the land of brutal hard work. There are other economic systems working here. There are good people here.

This is nit-picking.

You stated you are Asian, but then you describe yourself as a person from the subcontinent. I say this to point out the differences in definition of language. Over here an Asian is not from that part of the world. An Asian is not from the Middle East. They are not from Indian/Pakistan. They are from Japan, China, Viet Nam, Cambodia, etc. If you told someone you are Asian they would correct you.

If you look at Syrians or Arabs over here they have no facial hair, Turks may have a mustache, but you do not have any traces of what you are defining as sunnah. They consider themselves White. Most people are trying to assimilate.

I believe this is over generalization. Khalid Yasin wears all kinds of outfits. He is very effective.

My point is simply not to dwell on such a minor issue. You want to talk about watering down the sunnah you need to address the majority of Muslims. In all the lands. I sometimes wonder what kind of Islam is practiced in lands like Pakistan. Have you seen the behavior of the women from the Arab world. Women who will turn their faces when they encounter me? Women who will not sit next to Black Muslims at the masjid. They dress all sunnah.

The gift is always inside the package. I mean no disrespect to you brother.

a_stranger

Assalamu alaikim brothers and sisters
I think our inner illness (we muslems) is a very big problem , most of muslems don't know that they are ill with arrogance, pride , ignorance of the true spirit of Islam( I am not completely innocent but I am trying to empty the balckness within my heart since a time ) . We should study meaning of Uboodia :being true slave of Allah subhanahu wa taaala to clean what is inside . Still we should follow Sunna to the miner details as much as we can ............but hearts are more important. We should pray for our brothers and sisters who are trying to make the picture of Islam clear and help them.
And Allahu aalam .

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

A very minor point is this. Since 9/11 Islam has been on the rise in the US. These brothers are a welcoming door to many reverts. That is not the case in many masjids. The imams, if you can reach them, are gentle men. But the brothers who are the intermediaries, especially if they were not raised here can be downright rude.
These brothers represent the safe portal to the wonderful world of Islam. They are positive. They discuss the beauty of the faith in words that are easy to digest and a person wants more. I am ok with that.

Sister,

We have such sick hearts. And we keep adding to the sickness. Funny thing the cures is in front of us.

a_stranger

Assalamu alaikim dear sister

<<We have such sick hearts. And we keep adding to the sickness. Funny thing the cures is in front of us.>>

Sometimes the cure is painfull , one have to cut parts of his personality to be more healthy. We have to kill our ego, to be more sincere and truthful.we need a lot of training .

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

It is very frightening to comprehend that we will face Allah subhana wa taala one day. That should stop us in our tracks. Yet, our egos are so influenced by Shytan.

We forget how real Shytan is. We go along with his suggestions. I am just as guilty as the next one. InshaAllah, Allah subhana wa taala will have Mercy on us on the Day of Judgement.

Can we pray for a quick reckoning?

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
suhaib web and hamza yusuf are misguided deviants, it's sad to see so many falling for their traps and being led astray, more sad to see them blindly defend these deviants.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamua`alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

I've made quite a fair research to conclude that it is not advisable to involve oneself in that institute. The free-mixing says it all, to be honest. Same goes with some of the popular institutes/organizations that are quite popular in the West. Hamza Yusuf may be good in engaging dialogues with the atheists but he is definitely not a scholar. Even with all the figures presented in your first post, one thing to remember is; they are all dai`es, not scholars. Dai`e who are infallible and even with the overwhelming publicity they are given in the community, one shouldn't be obsessed with them. The problem actually arises when people start to take them as a public figure who wouldn't be making any mistakes (obsession) and that all of their knowledge is to be taken with 100% trust when in fact, they are human like us too.

Unlike the scholars, they are humans beings who are prone to making mistakes too, just like the dai`e in our community but we know that the level of the people of knowledge (scholars) that Allaah has acknowledge in the Qur`an ought to have our higher trust so let's just stick to the scholars of ASWJ that we trust their knowledge of the deen to learn our basics from, Inshaa Allaah.

tic_tac_toe

Assalamua`alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh,

I've made quite a fair research to conclude that it is not advisable to involve oneself in that institute. The free-mixing says it all, to be honest. Same goes with some of the popular institutes/organizations that are quite popular in the West. Hamza Yusuf may be good in engaging dialogues with the atheists but he is definitely not a scholar. Even with all the figures presented in your first post, one thing to remember is; they are all dai`es, not scholars. Dai`e who are infallible and even with the overwhelming publicity they are given in the community, one shouldn't be obsessed with them. The problem actually arises when people start to take them as a public figure who wouldn't be making any mistakes (obsession) and that all of their knowledge is to be taken with 100% trust when in fact, they are human like us too.

Unlike the scholars, they are humans beings who are prone to making mistakes too, just like the dai`e in our community but we know that the level of the people of knowledge (scholars) that Allaah has acknowledge in the Qur`an ought to have our higher trust so let's just stick to the scholars of ASWJ that we trust their knowledge of the deen to learn our basics from, Inshaa Allaah.
:bismillah1:
:salam2:

I am just wondering if you are عائشة المجاهدة (The Warrior Aisha) OR عائشة المجتهدة (The hardworking Aisha) and if neither then what does the words in your bio mean as my Arabic is not that good?
:wasalam:
:jazaak:

Umm Abdullah

I think the sister meant to write عائشة المجاهدة The sister just forgot to write an alif, seriously why do u have to correct her in the open forum. You could just send her a pm, if you truely wanted to help her by pointing it out. No one in here is a mujtahid/mujtahidah and you know that brother. We are all still just learning our deen..

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Wa`alaykum as-salaam,

It is OK, sister ServantofAllah. I should thank the brother for correcting me. I've corrected the mistake, btw. Jazaakumma Allaahu khaayr. My arabic isn't that good too, considering the last time I had the in depth study of the language was in high school.

Not sure why you quoted my post when it has nothing to do with your question, brother. Unless you wanted to comment something about it.

Anyways, hope this post doesn't stray the thread.

Umm Abdullah

Okay sister, alhamdulillah.
Brother tic_tac_toe, sorry if my tone was a bit harsh, I didn't mean it in a bad way. I just don't like when ppl correct other ppl in public. Kheyr in sha Allah

tic_tac_toe

I think the sister meant to write عائشة المجاهدة The sister just forgot to write an alif, seriously why do u have to correct her in the open forum. You could just send her a pm, if you truely wanted to help her by pointing it out. No one in here is a mujtahid/mujtahidah and you know that brother. We are all still just learning our deen..

Wa`alaykum as-salaam,

It is OK, sister ServantofAllah. I should thank the brother for correcting me. I've corrected the mistake, btw. Jazaakumma Allaahu khaayr. My arabic isn't that good too, considering the last time I had the in depth study of the language was in high school.

Not sure why you quoted my post when it has nothing to do with your question, brother. Unless you wanted to comment something about it.

Anyways, hope this post doesn't stray the thread.

Sisters,

I didn't correct rather, I asked as I am not an expert in Arabic and Mujtahid linguistically means Hard Working which is the opposite of Kaslan which means lazy and I think you were implying it in the Shariah sense in which Mujtahid means something different which I didn't mean.

There is no reason for me to a private conversation about a Sister about this issue at all as it is neither embarrassing nor demeaning nor derogatory and I am sure that the Sister didn't take it that way but if she did I sincerely apologies and ask for forgiveness as I was just curious as to what the word meant.

:shymuslima1: Can we even improve and settle on عائشة المجاهدة المجتهدة which would mean Aisha the hardworking Mujahida OR Aisha the Mujtahid Mujahida? :)