Question about Halal

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Since taking my shahadah, I have been buying beef and Hebrew "Hotdogs" and I don't eat shellfish because of an allergy to the garbage collectors of the oceans. And, the smell of pork sickens me because it reminds me of the smell of burnt flesh.

But, I notice when looking online for Halal food the only cheese that they seem to sell is feta. Are other cheese Haraam? One of our Muslim friend dropped some Chicken off for us and it was the most delicious Chicken we have ever had and not just because it was boneless. I plan on having Sharon ask her if it was from a Halal grocery.

We had Armenian friends from Lebanon when we lived in CA and we always loved being invited to their home for a dinner. I think I found a halal grocery that delivers so hopefully I can put all my new pots and pans to use.

Amina 1

:salam2::hearts:

I have heard that some cheeses are haram because they have enzymes in them. I think it is animal enzymes. Are Kosher meats Halal?

sarahlou

A cheese manufacturer will have to go out of his way to make his cheese haraam! Cheese is halaal, unless of course it contains alcohol or lard, but I never heard of such.
Actually you would be surprised at the amount of cheese that is haram because of the animal enzymes. Also a lot of cheeses like canned Parmesan and shredded cheese have rennet in it. Rennet is enzymes that come from animal stomach. The modern method of making rennet is when Deep-frozen stomachs are milled and put into an enzyme-extracting solution. I was taught this from my masjid. When I reverted they gave me a list of what food is Haram.
A good website to go to is www.muslimconsumergroup.com it gives you a list of all the halal and haram ingredients. It also has a database that you just type in the food and it will tell you whether it is halal, haram or mushbooh. It is very helpful when you are making your grocery list or if you have doubts about any food.
Hope this helps :hijabi:

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

Thank you much. I was wondering when I couldn't find many typically carried cheese at the halal store online.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I've been finding it really hard to find halal cheese products - and its really bad, because I love cheese.

Cabot is one cheese company which I hear is 100% halal. But most everything else ranging from cheese popcorn, cheese flavoured chips, basically any item with cheese in it is most probably not halal, since it has beef/pork enzymes in it. Kraft especially has haraam cheese. I wrote to them once and they said they can't vouch for the type of enzyme in their cheeses. I miss mac and cheese now.

Anyone have a list of halal cheese products? Not just cheese in itself, but products containing cheese as an ingredient.