Question about Polygany

dianek

Asalaam Aleykum:

I don't understand why in a post that I read that "it is in a man's nature to need variety"........I thought that wasn't the reasoning behind multiple wives during the time of the prophet (pbuh) but the reasoning being that many women were widowed. Not for the satisfaction of a man's "needs".....also, the phrase "whom thy right hand possesses".....If Islam was against slavery, then why would it say this and allow relations with these as halal? I get the necessity for it in that time, but I very much believe that God created Adam and Eve, one woman, one man for each other. Not Adam, Eve, Jane, clara and Susan........And if my husband dared to ask me for another wife I would certainly divorce him because he would have NO REASON other than a dislike of me or to permit his sexual desires for another woman, which to me is unacceptable. I am sorry to revisit this topic, but I just read a thread about this and sincerely don't know how this practice can be accepted by a Woman for the reasons that were stated.

ShyHijabi

Salaam Diane,

The person who said it was because "men needed variety" was giving their own personal opinion. Slavery is permitted in Islam but it is strongly encouraged to free the slaves you own. However Muslims must abide by the laws of the land and in America slavery and polygyny is illegal.

The Sunnah shows that the majority of the wives of the Prophet were widows yet I don't see a lot of brothers looking for old widows to marry when considering polygyny.

Polygyny is permissible in Islam but only under very strict requirements...the man MUST treat his wives equally. There are not too many men who can treat one wife fairly so if the man is honest he most likely is not prepared to be husband to more than one.

It is certainly within your rights to request your husband to only be married to you and inform him that you cannot tolerate polygyny for your marriage. And if he does not agree to your limitations then divorce is permitted though disliked in Islam.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

dianek

Salaam Diane,

The person who said it was because "men needed variety" was giving their own personal opinion. Slavery is permitted in Islam but it is strongly encouraged to free the slaves you own. However Muslims must abide by the laws of the land and in America slavery and polygyny is illegal.

The Sunnah shows that the majority of the wives of the Prophet were widows yet I don't see a lot of brothers looking for old widows to marry when considering polygyny.

Polygyny is permissible in Islam but only under very strict requirements...the man MUST treat his wives equally. There are not too many men who can treat one wife fairly so if the man is honest he most likely is not prepared to be husband to more than one.

It is certainly within your rights to request your husband to only be married to you and inform him that you cannot tolerate polygyny for your marriage. And if he does not agree to your limitations then divorce is permitted though disliked in Islam.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Salaam,

Thanks for the concise response. But one question remains is why can they have relations with their slaves, intimately? And why would islam allow slavery if we should all be slaves to Allah and no other?

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Salaam,

Thanks for the concise response. But one question remains is why can they have relations with their slaves, intimately? And why would islam allow slavery if we should all be slaves to Allah and no other?

:salam2:

I've always been told that Slavery was forbidden in Islam. Islam teaches that all humans are equal and noone is high enough to be served by slavery other than Allah(swt). It actually makes sense if you think about it. Allah(swt) created us to be his followers, so why follow a creation when you are to follow the creator.

Also, personally I dont agree with Polygany. Polygany has split up more families than save them. You can really complicate things if you get into it.

:wasalam:

dianek

I've always been told that Slavery was forbidden in Islam. Islam teaches that all humans are equal and noone is high enough to be served by slavery other than Allah(swt). It actually makes sense if you think about it. Allah(swt) created us to be his followers, so why follow a creation when you are to follow the creator.

Also, personally I dont agree with Polygany. Polygany has split up more families than save them. You can really complicate things if you get into it.

:wasalam:

So then, what does "right hand possess" mean and why can they have non-marital intimate relations with the said possessions (that word just perturbs me!)

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Slavery is not forbidden in Islam. There are many Hadith and ayas in the Quran that explicity explain how slaves are to be treated and respected by their owners. Being a slave does not mean that you are not viewed equal in the eyes of Allah swt..he judges each person off their actions and not their "jobs" in this life.

The quran states that men are allowed to have relations with what their righthand posses but there are more rules beyond this. If she conceives a child then the child is free and not considered a slave. It is also encouraged that eh free the mother.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

dianek

Salaam,

Slavery is not forbidden in Islam. There are many Hadith and ayas in the Quran that explicity explain how slaves are to be treated and respected by their owners. Being a slave does not mean that you are not viewed equal in the eyes of Allah swt..he judges each person off their actions and not their "jobs" in this life.

The quran states that men are allowed to have relations with what their righthand posses but there are more rules beyond this. If she conceives a child then the child is free and not considered a slave. It is also encouraged that eh free the mother.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Why would slavery be allowed? AND WHY should they be allowed to have relations with them.....I don't understand that if they are not married to them....to me that is adultery.....I just think I am missing something here.

Salaam,

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Selamu Aleikum,

Hmm I dont agree 100%. In Islam "freeing" a slave is considered as a good
deed. By that logic : it somehow makes it clear to get rid of Slavary.

When Islam came. Slavery was very common. Everybody did it.

Still: Sarah for PRESIDENT !! :hearts::hearts:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

Real men dont joke about polygmy. This is someone's life we are talking about. It is not a joking matter.

wasalam.

dianek

LOL

Its 8 pm over here. ANd I still havent had Dinner :( :(

And I dont know how to cook. :SMILY23::SMILY23:

This is why I think boys/young men should learn to cook and care for themselves...........have some macaroni! or Ramen Noodles!

Seriously........my husband is married and I don't cook well enough for him, so you might try and you might be surprised. Mind you that doesn't mean he cooks either......just that he doesn't like my cooking......

Amir_of_spain

Allah almighty has permitted men to marry more then 1 wife, and there is many logical sound reasons behind them and they apply much more so during the early period of islamic history. However its not a fardh to marry more than one women, so if dislike to have more than 1 wife then its not compulsory for men to marry extra women. We shouldnt say i disagree with this practise as allah has allowed it, however if we feel its not neccessary for our own personal situation because you are ok with having 1 wife then that position is fine. Basically its a optional and we shouldnt go on and on saying i wouldnt do this or i disagree with it etc, allah knows best.