Question..it's bothering me!

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
:salam2: everyone,

I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan--

So, my dilemma is this:

I was at work yesterday and needed snack during my fifteen minute break. I used the vending machine to buy me some chips. At first it got stuck but then I gave it a hard punch---two bags of chips were dropped rather than just one. I ate one of them and out of fear of eating/using something that is not mine and thus earning the anger of Allah, I just kept the second bag in my purse---(I did not know what to do with it). Now, my question is, is that bag of chips Halal for me? If not, what should I do with it??

Please use fatwas with evidence, though your opinions are appreciated, I do not want them for my deen questions. This is reality, I really do need answers for this, so insha'Allah ya'll can help me out here :)

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Asalaamualaykum Sister...
Your thread bought a smile to my face as this has happened to me before as well. Cept at that time I didnt really care so I ate them both :) it was chocloate!
Anyway, no fatwa here but just my suggestion...
If you are feeling really strongly about not eating them then just dont... give it to a co-worker or a little child you see on the street or in a park... Dont expect a reward for it coz it wasnt yours to begin with, bt just give it away....
Or contact the vending machine guys (there should be a sticker with the number) and pay them for it or give the chips back... you can do this next time they come to fill the machine...
my two cents...

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam2:

I'm sorry sis, I don't have any real fatwa or information to help you out here. But the same exact thing has happened to me too. When I got two packets of chips by mistake, I took the one I paid for and left the second one in the machine, without taking it out of the slot.

Another time at an airport, I paid for something with a $5 bill, but my change never came out. I punched it a few times, got my brother to punch it but nothing happened.

Those MN vending machines are faulty... (and the airport was the Minneapolis one).

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Wa alaykum al salaam wa rahmatullaah

Do you who the owner of the vending machine is?

Akhi,

I do not know who owns the machine....I only work two days a week and I dont ever get time to go back to my work place till the weekend! So, I have no idea who owns it, but like one sister suggested, there is a number on the machine that I could call---I do not think they'll take back the chips, but they might certainly take the money--Allahu alim!

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as salam a'alykum

or you can put a sticky-note there on the machine, so when they come for refill or maintenance purpose, they get the notification!

wassalam

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Asalaamualaykum Sister...
Your thread bought a smile to my face as this has happened to me before as well. Cept at that time I didnt really care so I ate them both :) it was chocloate!
Anyway, no fatwa here but just my suggestion...
If you are feeling really strongly about not eating them then just dont... give it to a co-worker or a little child you see on the street or in a park... Dont expect a reward for it coz it wasnt yours to begin with, bt just give it away....
Or contact the vending machine guys (there should be a sticker with the number) and pay them for it or give the chips back... you can do this next time they come to fill the machine...
my two cents...
Like I said to brother Thariq, I don't know and I never seen the vending machine guys. However, I might just go with your suggestion and call that number---:) I don't know why I picked this bag of chips, everytime I had a situation like that before I always just left it there!

I'm sorry sis, I don't have any real fatwa or information to help you out here. But the same exact thing has happened to me too. When I got two packets of chips by mistake, I took the one I paid for and left the second one in the machine, without taking it out of the slot.

Another time at an airport, I paid for something with a $5 bill, but my change never came out. I punched it a few times, got my brother to punch it but nothing happened.

Those MN vending machines are faulty... (and the airport was the Minneapolis one).

LOL!! I know! I had the same problem the other day where I put a dollar and it never gave me what I picked and never gave me change! Just few days I go---at school I saw a vending machine just dropping a bottle of water (Nobody was there, it did this all by itself) and I was freaked out--showed it to this guy who was getting something from the machine next to mine and we're both like "thats odd." He asked me if I wanted it since I saw it first, I was like nope.....no thanks! Those machines are crazy!!

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
On a lighter note:

I have been on TTI since like forever and I think I just mastered the multi-quoting business! YAAAAY ME!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I think what you should have done is taken the bag of chips that you had paid for and left the other one in the vending machine by itself.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Well, now that the chips are out of the machine, and can't go back in (or if they can, just dump them in the slot), why don't you just hand them over to your managers at work? This happened at work, right? The managers are bound to know who the owners of the machine are.

You can tell them the whole dilemma, state that you don't feel comfortable taking something not belonging to you and end this situation. You'll be doing a good deed, *and* doing dawah to the non muslim managers.