Question Regarding Salah

ahmed m

Asalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu. in future, i will refer to my salam using AWW. firstly, as its a very broad topic the answer below is fairly long so apologies from the start.mashallah som nice points from the brothrs and sisters. in particular brother Munawar. when looking into points regarding fiqh(jurisprudence) and masaail(rulings) we should always refer to the scholars. verily the prophet Muhammed (pbuh) has said to the nearest meaning 'scholars are the inheritors of the ulema'. just like the companions went to the prophet and similarly other nations to their prophets, we should always go to the scholars.

my dear br, firstly plz observe what your family are up to during the day(u prob already do). thats the first bit of advice given by the scholar. if theres a time of the day where the whole family are busy for instance lunch, quickly pop upstairs and pray your salah. another example is shopping.

now with regards to shortenin your salah, this is permissable in certain conditions. you may pray your surah fatiha with few less pauses. also, in ur ruku(bowing) you may pray only one 'subhaana rabi ul azeem' as well as only one 'subhana rabi ul aa'laa' in your prostration. furthermore,you may only pray one durood in your jalsa position. this is when you sit after every two rakats. however, plz ensure you dont rush your bowing in every rakat and you two sajdah. after comin up from bowing down, you must stand back up straightenin your back completely. also, when coming up from one of your prostrations in every rakat, again you must get up straightenin you back completely. if this isnt done, SALAH(PRAYER) ISNT VALID.

unfortunately no mosque is near your house. ask a friend hu lives near to your house about the situation, and ask him if you could fulfil your prayer for a few mins for the various salahs.

now finally i would like to answer your question regarding if it is possible to read in the toilet. in order for salah to be valid, seven prior condiions must be fulfilled

1.body must be free from impurities.
2.clothes must be free from impurities.
3.time of the certain prayer must be correct.
4.must be facing qiblah.
5.intention must be made prior to the salah
6.private parts must be covered.
7.place of prayer must be correct.

as you mentioned your toilet is clean. therefore, it is permissable in your circumstance to pray in the toilet. this however should for all of us be the last last resort. also, try stay as far from the toilet as possible.

always have the prayer begining and ending timings(as prescribed by the school of thought you refer to). if you feel u can wait for a while for your family to go, then plz do.

I WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH REGARDS TO THE COMBINING OF SALAHS.

i pray that allah accepts your sacrifices and makes it easy for you prctice your deen. the point made by 'bomeshary' is also very vital. by seeing the changes in your way of life, through your manners and character youR family will automatically see that something in you has changed. they will for themselves see the beauty islam. this inshallah (i pray and request all to as well) will become a means for them to accept islam. and last but far from not least, pray to allah for help. plz remember me as well.

jazakallah

ahmed m

also regarding the point made by my dear friend '3:54'. this is to all as well, dont let your passion overcome your deen. this basically means dnt let you rdeen be affected by your passion. firstly, dont do too much that it burns you out. our dear prophet has forbidden this. and also i would like to point out, the prophet and the companions only started praying openly in the haram AFTER the conversion of umar(ra).why? this is because they had a force to help them. so my dear and beloved brother gazzhi, if you feel uncomfortable plz dont pray openly. you could end up abandoning your whole deen and being abused which you dont want. take things in steps. its like, a GCSE student generally only studies GCSE material. similar with A level, degree etc. dnt do something which is too high for you. to reach the top of the stairs, if you try jumping lets say 5 steps, let alone not getting any where you will end up hurting yourself!!! take one step at a time, and you will inshallah reach your destination which is the pleasure of allah.

jazakallah

muslimah sister

Y r u afraid to tell her?!! it is best to tell her now then her finding out some other way. After all, Allah is on your side so there is nothing to be afraid of.

booya

Assalamualaikum brother

Your situation is a lot similar to mine. We had "fights" in the family over my intention of learning and becoming muslim..and after a few fights I just decided to keep it down. Insha Allah the faith is still in my heart.

The tough part is doing salat. At times I'd try my best to do all 5..but now even though I'm studying away from my house, I somehow feel not comfortable praying in the open. I know a few muslim students in campus, but they don't really know my situation and I still feel uncomfortable "declaring" to them that I'm muslim. I'm just worried that the news will spread out.. It's a complicated matter but VERY similar to yours.

Unfortunately this situation has made me go on and off doing my salat.

I think regarding the shortening, prayers and wudu have the fard components, the bare minimum one should do. Example: washing once instead of three times.

sweetmuslima

iAsalamu alaykum
i think u should tell ur mom u cant live in fear all ur life u shouldnt be scared because later it will be worth it good luck and take care

booya

Alhamdulillah I found this answer

Should she stop her prayer because her family does not know that she is Muslim?
Question No 65682
Question:
I am a new muslim and this is my 2nd ramadan fasting. My family is still disbeleivant and I pray and fast without their knowledge. At home, I pray only fajr and Isha prayers, and other prayers I pray outside ( i.e. at school, at muslim center or at friend's house). Whenever I pray at home I lock my bedroom door and pray. My sister also shares bedroom with me. This is what happened when I was praying Isha prayer at home. I locked the door before I started praying but somehow it didn't lock. I prayed first rakaa and I got up from sujud and reciting alfatiha and suddenly my sister opened the door. i got scared and i did not finish praying isha at that time i let her in. and after few hours i prayed isha again. i just want to know, what is the ruling on not praying while you intended to pray 4 rakaa and what should I have done.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

We congratulate you for the blessing of Islam, and we ask Allaah to make you steadfast and to help you and strengthen your faith. And we ask Him to guide all your family and your siblings, so that you will be a means of their success.

Secondly:

If you are afraid to declare your Islam and fear that some harm may be befall you, or if you want to delay telling people until you have learned more about Islam and are able to call your family to Islam, there is nothing wrong with you doing that. There is also nothing wrong with your stopping the prayer if you are afraid that someone will see you.

The basic principle is that when the Muslim has started an obligatory prayer, he is obliged to complete it, and it is haraam for him to stop it, unless he has an excuse.

The fuqaha’ have listed some excuses which make it permissible to stop the prayer. These include:

- Fear of being harmed by an enemy or a wild animal.

- Fear for one's wealth or property, such as if a person is praying and someone comes who wants to take his property, or he fears that his mount will run away.

- Stopping the prayer in order to save someone from a fire or from drowning, or fear that a blind man may fall into a well.

See Radd al-Muhtaar, 1/654; al-Mabsoot, 3/2; Kashshaaf al-Qinaa’, 1/380.

If you fear harm to yourself if any of your family see you praying and find out that you are a Muslim, there is no sin on you if you stop praying at that time, then pray after the danger has passed, which is what you did.

Thirdly:

You should strive to learn the rulings of Islam and keep company with good believing women, who will help you to obey Allaah. Think about the best way to call your family to Islam and strive to do that, for they are the most entitled of all people to your good treatment and da’wah.

May Allaah help us and you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A