Question...

Valerie

Hello everyone,

I know I introduced myself over in the other section, but I'll share a little info again before I ask any questions. I'm not Muslim. I may be headed in that direction, but I don't know for sure yet. I'm here to learn more. I intend no disrespect toward the religion by asking questions and if I say something wrong, I apologize in advance. I also don't quite understand all the correct abbreviations that go behind people's names (I only kindof understand the pbuh abbreviation, but that's it.. so please forgive me for not knowing) Thank you so much :)

So I stumbled across a page on the internet with a question and I thought I'd ask here because there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people (and understanding of my questions as a non-muslim :) )

So here's the question: Is Allah unconditionally loving of those who devote themselves? What about people who aren't Muslim and don't know anything about it? In my 21 years as a Christian (i'm 33 now), I always felt God was so distant, and I was so worried about doing something wrong that I wasn't sure if God was loving or not. Do you see Allah as loving?

Obviously, we're all human and make mistakes. I read that people who convert to Islam have their past sins forgiven, not sure if this is true or not. What about sins committed after converting?

The reason I ask is not because I wake up in the morning and know I'm going to sin... I was raised Christian and strayed from that so I dont' know the differences and similarities. Along the same lines, if you ask for forgiveness during prayer, you don't do it during one of the set prayers every day, but during a non-official prayer time?

I am sorry if I don't make sense. I'm a little off today :) (not feeling so great so my brain is a bit fuzzy). That was more than one question...

Thank you for taking time to listen to my rambling.

Have a wonderful day :)
valerie

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
salaam,

all ur questions are logical. they are not senseless. :)

i dont have much to say after wht bro ayman have told you. :)

yes, Allah is Most Loving. you make pray to Him anytime, anywhere.

if you dont know about Islam, atleast you should believe that there is only One God. but after coming to learn Islam, you need to accept it to earn His pleasure and happiness after death.

because, though Allah sent many guidance in the past, He finalised it with Islam. if we dont accept Islam, it directly means we are not saitisfied with Allah being our Lord.

its a part of His mercy to erase all the sins done before taking Islam as a way of life.

MSyed

salam
"what about sins committed after islam" yes! these are counted but one can always repent (sincerely) and are forgiven by Allah.

Valerie

Thank you :) I appreciate everyone taking time to answer my questions. :)

A few more questions:

I was watching a video on here and I saw that listening to music is a sin, and I have read somewhere else about what it leads people to think or do (I know that might not make sense, but I think I heard when I was younger objections by my grandparents to modern music). The question I have is ... What about Classical music? For example, Mozart or something like that? I admit I was listening to Clair de Lune (that type of music is very relaxing to me) the other day and I was curious if that was wrong also, but I forgot til I saw the video on here today.

Next, I've been trying to find an answer on the topic of writing fiction. I have a degree in journalism, but I have given up on that as a career path (because I'm disgusted at the bias in the media). Before I started looking into Islam, I decided I would like to be an author, but nothing bad... I want to write stories possibly for children or positive books for adults.

Photography? Taking pictures of other people or drawing people is wrong? Is it just showing their faces that is wrong or is showing hands or feet or the back of someone's head? (I know this is a strange question, but if I decided to go the route of a children's book, I'm thinking of what it would look like). Is photography of nature okay? Taking pictures of your children for scrapbooks?

I'm sorry if these questions have obvious answers, but I guess I have a lot more questions than I thought I did :) I am one of those people who needs to know details so I don't do something wrong.. I guess that was from my journalism background.

Thank you again,
valerie :)

Valerie

That's a good point. Maybe I can do some writing on my own. It's sometimes hard to be heard over the liars out there ;) I'll try.

arzafar

That's a good point. Maybe I can do some writing on my own. It's sometimes hard to be heard over the liars out there ;) I'll try.

well nowadays news is a product (like everything else). A journo must be able to sell his copy, otherwise he is no good. The first priority is money and truth is probably the last. im not discouraging you but just pointing out the obvious.

Valerie

well nowadays news is a product (like everything else). A journo must be able to sell his copy, otherwise he is no good. The first priority is money and truth is probably the last. im not discouraging you but just pointing out the obvious.

You're right. I actually did work as a journalist at one point and my father worked for a news station. I remember hearing that the news station wouldn't run negative news stories about companies that paid for advertisement on their station. On my facebook page I actually have a quote by Mark Twain "Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper" Sadly, that's true even today. So my bachelors degree in journalism is wasted. I've thought about going back to school and studying religion or something else that I enjoy. Sorry, I'm rambling off topic :)

Maha*

You're right. I actually did work as a journalist at one point and my father worked for a news station. I remember hearing that the news station wouldn't run negative news stories about companies that paid for advertisement on their station. On my facebook page I actually have a quote by Mark Twain "Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper" Sadly, that's true even today. So my bachelors degree in journalism is wasted. I've thought about going back to school and studying religion or something else that I enjoy. Sorry, I'm rambling off topic :)

Perhaps if you become Muslim inshaa Allah (God willing), you can write Islamic stories for children. :) We really need a person like you. :)

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
I was watching a video on here and I saw that listening to music is a sin, and I have read somewhere else about what it leads people to think or do (I know that might not make sense, but I think I heard when I was younger objections by my grandparents to modern music). The question I have is ... What about Classical music? For example, Mozart or something like that? I admit I was listening to Clair de Lune (that type of music is very relaxing to me) the other day and I was curious if that was wrong also, but I forgot til I saw the video on here today.

there is some difference of opinion among scholars over music. but majority of them says that its not allowed.

also all scholars agree that music and songs which promote romance, sex, violoence is prohibited.

arzafar

aaah twain. i mean these were the guys who made sense should be heroes of the west.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed"

and that was back then. imagine how it's right now.

rightpath_357

Sis- Allah loves all those He guides- if you are thinking about being Muslim- Allah loves you.
Actually- Allah (SW) loves ALL His creations. :D

And sis, to answer your before/after converting sinning question, it's like this:

If you convert, Allah will forgive the sins that you have done before, because you didn't know how wrong they were, and you turned to the right path, LEFT THEM BEHIND, and seeked forgivness. :)

:D I'm not sure if "seeked" is a word lol :lol:

but yeah
Hope this helps sis!!!!! :hearts:

Salam!!!!!! :D

Valerie

Now I'm going to sit here all night wondering about "seeked" hehe :)

Yes that does help :) I need to practice doing the right thing now ;)

It does make me feel better to hear that all creations are loved. I think that's a major thing I've been looking for all these years. :)

Thank you :)

rightpath_357

Your welcome sis . :hearts:
Lol- try to get some sleep- now I'LL be awake all night feeling guilty for making YOU stay up all night- so I hope u dont! :lol:

a_stranger

Now I'm going to sit here all night wondering about "seeked" hehe :)

Yes that does help :) I need to practice doing the right thing now ;)

It does make me feel better to hear that all creations are loved. I think that's a major thing I've been looking for all these years. :)

Thank you :)

Dear Valerie Love of Allah swt towards his creation is so clear for muslems The one who is giving life , nourshing , sustaining, giving the breathes , causing hearts to beat, making eyes see, ears hear,.........fulling the universe with bounties ......I think all that is a clear signs of love.

11:90 "But ask forgiveness of your Lord, and turn unto Him (in repentance): For my Lord is indeed full of mercy and loving-kindness." Quran

Hud [11:90]
وَاسْتَغْفِرُواْ رَبَّكُمْ ثُمَّ تُوبُواْ إِلَيْهِ إِنَّ رَبِّي رَحِيمٌ وَدُودٌ

Now what is our response to such love ?

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

There is a hadith dear sis (hadith means saying of prophet ,rather teaching of prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
arated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "Allah the Most Superior said, "The son of Adam slights Me,
and he should not slight Me, and he disbelieves in Me, and he ought not to do so. As for his slighting Me, it
is that he says that I have a son; and his disbelief in Me is his statement that I shall not recreate him as I
have created (him) before."

Volumn 004, Book 054, Hadith Number 416.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

Narated By Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "When Allah completed the creation, He wrote in His Book
which is with Him on His Throne, "My Mercy overpowers My Anger."

Volumn 004, Book 054, Hadith Number 417.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

Bismillah.

Messenger of Allah, (PBUH) said:

"When Allah loves a slave, He calls Jibril (Gabriel) and says: `I love so-and-so; so love him.' And then Jibril loves him. Then he (Jibril) announces in the heavens saying: Allah loves so-and-so; so love him; then the inhabitants of the heavens (the angels) also love him; and then people on earth love him. And when Allah hates a slave, He calls Jibril and says: `I hate so-and-so, so hate him.' Then Jibril also hates him. He (Jibril) then announces amongst the inhabitants of heavens: `Verily, Allah hates so-and-so, so you also hate him.' Thus they also start to hate him. Then he becomes the object of hatred on the earth also". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

May Allah make us of those who are beloved to Him and protect us from His Wrath. Ameen.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

Jinan Bastaki does a wonderful job of reminding us – that we must with our limited abilities of perception – begin to recognize Allah. Our relationship with our Creator does tend to become ritualistic or mechanical over time, for which, the Love of Allah and it’s recognition, are pure enrichment. The answer to the question “Does Allah Love You?” should be an immediate yet profound “YES!”. One that is based on deep understanding and recognition, not because, rather despite of our actions. An effective way to gain such depth of understanding, in addition to the company of the pious, is by studying the fada-il (virtues) of actions for it gives our feeble minds a sense of the overwhelming nature of Divine Love, Compassion, and Generosity.

Allah’s Love
Much is said about the first two of the three components in our relationship with Allah: fear, hope and love. But less is said about Allah’s Love. And this is important to know, because by realizing Allah’s Love, those of us whose hearts are hard are softened; those of us who feel deep inside that we can never be forgiven will be awoken with hope; and those of us whose relationship with Allah is mechanical will be enriched.

Not Just Fear
For many people, the relationship with Allah has become either that of fear or of something ritualistic: “I have to pray, so let me just get up and do it. If I don’t pray, I’ll go to hell.”

Fear is important, but at the base of our relationship with Allah is love. In the following Hadith Qudsi, Allah demonstrates the nature of His relationship with us:

“Myself, Mankind and Jinn are in a great serious state. I create them, then they worship other gods that they make for themselves; I bless them with my bounties, then they thank someone else for what I sent them; My Mercy descends to them while their evil deeds ascend to Me; I endear them with my gifts even though I have no need for any of them while they alienate themselves from Me with their sins even though they are desperate for My help.

Whoever returns to Me, I accept him no matter how far he is; and whoever turns away from Me, I approach him and call on him. Whoever leaves a sin for my sake, I reward him with many gifts and whoever seeks to please Me, I seek to please him. Whoever acknowledges My Will and Power in whatever he does, I make the iron bend for his sake. My dear people are those who are with Me (i.e. whoever would like to be with Me, let him supplicate to Me and remember Me). Whoever thanks Me, I grant him more blessings; whoever obeys Me, I raise him and endear him more. Whoever disobeys Me, I keep the doors of My Mercy open for him; if he returns to Me, I bestow him with My Love since I love those who repent and purify themselves for My Sake. If he does not repent, I still treat him by putting them in hardship to purify him.

Whoever favors Me over others, I favor them over others. I reward every single good deed ten times over or seven hundred times over to countless times over. I count every single bad deed as one unless the person repents and ask for My Forgiveness in which case I forgive even that one. I take into account any little good deed and I forgive even major sins. My Mercy supersedes My Anger; My Tolerance supersedes My Blame; My Forgiveness supersedes My Punishment as I am more merciful with My slaves than a mother with her child.” (Madarij As-Saalikeen by Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziya)

What is amazing is not a servant who seeks to get closer to his Lord, but that the Lord endears His servant to get closer to him. Many of the ahadeeth that I will recount are those ahadeeth that we already know; yet reading them one after the other shows us the extent of Allah’s Love and Mercy. Allah says, “If my servant comes closer to Me a hand span, I come closer to him or her an arms-length; and if he or she comes to Me walking, I come to him or her at speed.” (Bukhari)

Sometimes we despair, yet the above ahadeeth show us how silly that is. All we have to do is turn to Allah, return to Him and remind ourselves of these words: If we go to Allah walking, He will come to us with speed. The Prophet (pbuh) told us of another way Allah shows His love to us:

“Our Lord (glorified and exalted be He) descends each night to the earth’s sky when there remains the final third of the night, and He says: Who is saying a prayer to Me that I may answer it? Who is asking something of Me that I may give it him? Who is asking forgiveness of Me that I may forgive him?” (Bukhari)

We have to see – Allah doesn’t need to be like this with us. All He has to do is command, and we should obey. If we don’t obey, it’s our loss. And many of us do not even deserve to have such a relationship with Allah; yet we are told this in order for us to strive to build this relationship of closeness with Allah. We are told this so we never despair and so our hearts fill with love, awe and amazement at our Creator’s Love and Mercy. Ali (R) truly understood this relationship, and this is why he said that if he were given the choice to be judged by his parents on the Day of Judgment, he would refuse. Why? “Because Allah is more merciful to me than my parents.”

When Allah loves a servant
“When Allah loves someone he calls to Jibreel (as) saying, ‘O Jibreel, I love such and such a person, so love him.’ Then Jibreel will call to the (angels) of the heavens, ‘Allah loves such and such a person so love him.’ And the angels will love [that person]. And then Allah will place acceptance on earth for that believer.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

It would have been enough for Allah to say that He loves a person, for what more could someone want? But because Allah is Al-Wadood (the Loving) and Al-Kareem (the Most-Generous), He declares this love to the Angels, which does not stay in the heavens but descends to the earth because Allah puts acceptance of this person in the hearts of people.

So who is eligible for this love?
“…God loves those who do good” (Surat Al Baqara, 2:195) ”
“…God loves those who repent to Him, and He loves those who keep themselves clean” (Surat Al-Baqara, 2:222) ”
“…God loves those are mindful of Him” (Surat Aal-Imran, 3:76)

“…God loves those who are steadfast” (Surat Aal-Imran, 3:146)
“…God loves those who put their trust in Him” (Surat Aal-Imran, 3:159)
“…God loves the just” (Surat Al-Maida, 5:42)

So not only does Allah love the Prophets (as), the Companions (ra) and the scholars, but all the people listed above as well. And though those who repent are those who committed sins, maybe even grave sins, Allah loves them because they return to Him. By being one of those people above we are eligible to be loved by Allah.

Look at another manifestation of Allah’s love. He says in a hadith qudsi: “Whosoever acts with enmity towards a closer servant of Mine (wali), I will indeed declare war against him.” (Bukhari)

And who are the awliya? ”Now surely the friends (awliya) of Allah – they shall have no fear nor shall they grieve – those who believe and are conscious of God.” (Surat Yunus, 10:62-63)

Allah continues in the same hadith qudsi, showing us how we can be of the awliya: ”Nothing endears My servant to Me than doing of what I have made obligatory upon him to do. And My servant continues to draw nearer to Me with the supererogatory(nawafil) so that I shall love him.”

That’s it? Start with the obligatory and then add the things that are sunnah? Then what happens?

“When I love him, I shall be his hearing with which he shall hear, his sight with which he shall see, his hands with which he shall hold, and his feet with which he shall walk. And if he asks (something) of Me, I shall surely give it to him, and if he takes refuge in Me, I shall certainly grant him it.” (Bukhari)

Our problem is that we invest so much in people’s love, yet forget that the everlasting love is that of Allah. Some of us are taught to believe that because of our sins, we can never be eligible for this love, yet nothing could be further from the truth. The examples above are only a tiny glimpse of Allah’s dealings with us. May we always be of those who have hope in Allah’s Love and Mercy and seek to get closer to Him. Ameen.

The above was adapted from a lecture by Amr Khaled