Questions about Taraweeh and Tahajjud

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Assalam Alaikam brothers and sisters. This will be my first Ramadan so i've got myself prepared. I've got my Ramadan callender from the masjid and im all set. Just got a few questions which I hope you lovely people will help me with.

Im confused about night prayers. I have read that there is Tahajjud which consists of a minimum of 2 rakat with no max limit performed in sets of 2 rakat and that the prophet (sws) used to reguarly preform 8 rakat. When do i do this and is it Sunnah?

I have also read about Taraweeh. When exactly do i do this? I read that for Taraweeh the whole quran gets recited over the whole month. I only know surah Ikhlas (112) tho as ive only been a muslim for 6 weeks. Do i just keep repeating this surah every rakat or do i read from the Quran?

If Ramadan starts Saturday, will people be going to the mosque to pray taraweeh friday night? As theoretically the islamic day starts in the evening so after Magrib it will be 1st Ramadan.

I want to learn another surah, does it matter which one i learn next?

Jazakallahu Khayran

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Wa'alaikumsalam sister. Firstly welcome to the forum and congrat to you.

Im confused about night prayers. I have read that there is Tahajjud which consists of a minimum of 2 rakat with no max limit performed in sets of 2 rakat and that the prophet (sws) used to reguarly preform 8 rakat. When do i do this and is it Sunnah?

Yes, minimum 2 rakat. It is up to you how many more you want to do but do not burden you self.

I have also read about Taraweeh. When exactly do i do this? I read that for Taraweeh the whole quran gets recited over the whole month. I only know surah Ikhlas (112) tho as ive only been a muslim for 6 weeks. Do i just keep repeating this surah every rakat or do i read from the Quran?

After Isya prayer sister. If you pray Isha and followed by Taraweeh at the masjid, you do not have to worry about the additional surah recited in every rakat. But if you are doing it at home, just read any surah that you had memorised. On the other hand, the additional surah is NOT COMPULSORY.

If Ramadan starts Saturday, will people be going to the mosque to pray taraweeh friday night? As theoretically the islamic day starts in the evening so after Magrib it will be 1st Ramadan.

That's right, Taraweeh start the night before we start fasting i.e. for this year will be tonight (Friday).

Jazakallahu Khayran

Not necessarily.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
I've never read Taraweeh before, of course I won't be going to the mosque as females aren't allowed over here. But I want to know, does it matter in how many sets you read the taraweeh? Sets of two? Four? And what's the minimum and maximum for taraweeh?

Pharma_Sister

Asalaamoalaikum,
Mashallah Taraweeh is a nafl salah, the bare minimum is 2 and the maximum is 20. Normally they are always prayed as 2 rakat, then another 2, etc.
May Allah SWT Bless us all during this Holy Month and grant our dua's, Ameen.

Wasalaamoalaikum wrwb.

bemuslim

to learn more pls visit http://www.islamqa.com/en/search2/voluntary%20prayers/AllWord

The Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was to do a lot of different kinds of worship during Ramadaan. Jibreel used to review the Qur’aan with him at night, and when Jibreel met with him, he was more generous in charity than the blowing wind. He was the most generous of people, and he was at his most generous in Ramadaan. At this time he used to give more in charity and treat people even more kindly; he would read more Qur’aan, pray more, recite more dhikr, and spend time in I’tikaaf (retreat). This is the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in this aspect of this holy month.

As to whether it is better to read Qur’aan or to pray voluntary prayers, this depends on people’s circumstances, and the true evaluation of this is up to Allaah, because He knows all things.

(From al-Jawaab al-Saheeh min Ahkaam Salaat al-Layl wa’l-Taraaweeh, by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 45).

A specific action may be better in the case of any given individual, and another may be better for another individual, according to the degree to which a particular action brings a person closer to Allaah. Some people may be influenced more by naafil prayers and may focus on them and do them properly, which will bring them closer to Allaah than other deeds might, so in their case those deeds are better. And Allaah knows best.

Many answers are on this site about voluntary prayers in ramadan even for a traveller.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/search2/voluntary prayers/AllWords/t,q,a

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

any surah u like. better take it frm last part of Quran. ie 30th part. it has small surahs. u can start with:

surah kafiroon - reward of 1/4 of Quran
surah zalzalah - reward of 1/2 of Quran
surah takathur - reward of 1000 verses of Quran.

I've never read Taraweeh before, of course I won't be going to the mosque as females aren't allowed over here. But I want to know, does it matter in how many sets you read the taraweeh? Sets of two? Four? And what's the minimum and maximum for taraweeh?

sets of two. we read 8 or 10 in saudi arabia.

lozlg

Muslima for 1 year!
Thank you, i understand now. I went to the mosque for prayer for the first time last night for Isha and Taraweeh. Most people left after 8 rakat of Taraweeh and i was tired so i left after 12. Is this ok to leave after 12?

I have another question on a differnt topic if anyone can please help me. Is it ok to have a shower during fasting hours? or should this be done before dawn/after suhoor? Jazakallah :)

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Thank you, i understand now. I went to the mosque for prayer for the first time last night for Isha and Taraweeh. Most people left after 8 rakat of Taraweeh and i was tired so i left after 12. Is this ok to leave after 12?

Sorry for the late reply to your question.

This is optional prayers, so you are the boss (in the sense you decide how many as long as you complete 2 rakat in every prayer), this is what my sheikh said. 8 or 20 rakat not really matter, the most important is you do with taqwa. One of my sheikh studied in Damascus, he said over there they do 36 rakat. MashAllah.

I have another question on a differnt topic if anyone can please help me. Is it ok to have a shower during fasting hours? or should this be done before dawn/after suhoor? Jazakallah :)

Go ahead and ask. There are many knowledgable brothers and sisters here who can help you. Me too learn a lot from them

I take shower before fajr prayer and after magrib prayer or before going for isha prayer. During fasting we shall avoid taking shower unless really necessary.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
^ Akhi, please I would like to see some daleel for not taking a shower during our fast.

And mashallah, this is the first time I hear that some people pray more than 20 (ie 36 rakat) of taraweeh.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Brother Hard Rock Moslem, I found this about taking a bath while fasting:

It is permissible for the fasting person to take a bath
Does taking a bath break the fast?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for the fasting person to take a bath, and that does not affect his fast.

Ibn Qudaamah said in al-Mughni, 3/18:

There is nothing wrong with a fasting person taking a bath. He quoted as evidence the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1926) and Muslim (1109) from ‘Aa’ishah and Umm Salamah, that Fajr would come and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would be junub (in a state of impurity) following intimate relations with his wife, and he would do ghusl and fast.

Abu Dawood (2365) narrated that one of the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pouring water over his head when he was fasting, because of thirst or heat. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood:

This indicates that it is permissible for the fasting person to seek relief from the heat by pouring water over part or all of his body. This is the view of the majority, and they did not make any distinction between ghusl that is obligatory and that which is recommended or permissible.

Al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Chapter on fasting person bathing: Ibn ‘Umar wetted a garment and threw it over himself when he was fasting, and al-Sha’bi entered the hamam (baths) when he was fasting… and al-Hasan said: There is nothing wrong with the fasting person rinsing out his mouth and cooling himself off.

Al-Haafiz said:

The fact that he called his chapter “Chapter on fasting person bathing” shows that it is permissible. Al-Zayn ibn al-Muneer said: He called it bathing (ightisaal) so as to include that which is Sunnah and obligatory and permissible, as if referring to the weakness of the report narrated from ‘Ali, which says that the fasting person is not allowed to enter the hamam (baths). This report was narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq but there is some weakness in its isnaad.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
^ Akhi, please I would like to see some daleel for not taking a shower during our fast..

I just shared what I practice, that's all. I'm sorry if I confused you. I said "should avoid" which means an option only.

What I learnt from my sheikh is when you take bath you will get fresh again. Will you then feel fasting is challenging? On the other hand, I always afraid accidentally drinking the water, of course this will not invalidate my fast but I will feel uneasy and gain unfair advantage.

And mashallah, this is the first time I hear that some people pray more than 20 (ie 36 rakat) of taraweeh.

I was equally surprise just like you. My sheikh said in Syria they will pray up to certain rakaat, then they will back home from a while and return to the masjid to continue Tarawih until 36 rakaat.

Maybe our brothers / sisters from Syria confirm this.