Racism & Islam

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
:salam2: My children used to go to the only primary muslim school that exist in this country.It is situated in the biggest mosque of Brussels ,When time for prayer used to come and the children used to leave classroom to go to prayer my children were told that their prayers were not accepted because they are not from the arabic community.(we're both reverted)à I'm stuff of all this racism all over the world,It is easy to blame the kafirs and to say they are the bad ones, when each muslim community stay appart one from another! One of the biggest problem is that we're too proud to see that something big is not going well

IbnAlAawam

:salam2:

It is sad that we have racism among Muslims. It is a fact that it exists together with tribalism. These are obviously un-islamic. Also some people are just ignorant.

In any case, I am convinced that racism in Muslim countries is still much less in comparison to other countries.

Salam alaykoum,

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

In my humble opinion much of the racisim is the rubbish left over from colonalism. Nationalism over Islam.
Also, I have worked extensively with immigrants who come to America. What I discovered was they take on the prejudices of those in charge. Case in point today: Many Hispanics are pro-war. It is an attempt to fit in. Thus, they do not wish to assoicate with Muslims. You side with the people in charge.
The people of the subcontinent, Indian/Pakistani's are very strange. They only want to be with White Americans. They have come here with advanced degrees and live in the white communities. There is a lot of dissension between Muslims who are Black and the Indo/Pakistani mosques. It was only after 9/11 that the immigrants are trying to build bridges with tradtionally Black masjids. Long Island has a very affluent population; Harlem does not.
There is really one answer: we as a people have to change inside..we are so covered with rust over our hearts..
Racisim is holding on to the tail of the devil. How happy we are making the devils..they can be idle. How soon we forget we are from the same soul..we are all brothers and sisters. May Allah have mercy on us.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
there is a lot of racism, it's usually evident when it comes to marriages. i have never seen an black muslim that has been able to marry an arab woman or pakistani woman etc. they'll let a white male marry their daughter before a black person. black muslim men always have to marry black women or occasionally a white woman that doesn't care about race. i myself am half black and half hispanic, i do look like i'm arab, however when my race gets known i know that i'm not welcome to marry their daughter. i don't want to offend but i personally am not attracted to black women. i can't explain why, but i just never have been. there isn't an issue with their character etc. i am attracted to my spanish women, however many of them aren't muslims they're catholics. so for me trying to find a wife, i'm going to search for a woman that believes as i believe. very often it's women from middle eastern nations. fortunately i'm working out thing right now with someone, but if i weren't; i would probably be single forever because i know how things are, i've seen so much and i don't even want to bother.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

To my brother from NJ...I am a Pakistani woman who married a Black man. I got it from everyone. Hey, the only thing that really matters is that I remember I am a slave of Allah. I pray that I serve My Lord. He gave me two beautiful sons..Alhumdullila is all I can say.

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh my dear brothers and sisters,

Racism is not from islam. Look when people go to the Pilgrimage, differend skin colours my dear borther and sisters. Seriously they are from differend countries. Allahu akbar they pray together.

Do you know the storie of Malik El Shabazz( Malcolm X). also called El Hajj Malik el Shabazz why? He went on hajj ( pilgrimage) and he saw the differend people from differend countries and with differend skin colours. While America discriminate between black and white in Mekka there was no discrimination. This is what Malik El Shabazz has noticed. At the end of my letter i will post his letter insha Allah.

Allah don't look to our skin colours or from which country we came from, no he looks to our hearts. Allah says:" Ila men ata llah biqalbin saliem". It's very important to have a good heart my dear brothers and sisters.

And also lets look to Bilal The sahabi who had a black skin colour. He is one of the muadhins in islam and one of the best of us and is from people of paradise.

I live in Holland and i have to say i don't discriminate between black, white and other muslim people. I have friends from Somalia, Suriname, Holland, Turkye, Bosnia, Morocco ( iam from morocco), Negeria, Egypt, pakistan, Indonesia, algerija, syria etc...

I have many friends from differend countries and with differend skin colours. I know from the deepst of my heart islam is against racism. And also the mosque where i pray everyone is welcome. In the mosque where i pray in Holland differend people come to pray there. They are welcome and they are our brothers.

---------------------
The letter of Malik El Shabazz( Malcolm X).

Never have I witnessed such sincere hospitality and the overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood as practiced by people of all colors and races here in this Ancient Holy Land, the home of Abraham, Muhammad and all other prophets of the Holy Scriptures. For the past week, I have been utterly speechless and spellbound by the graciousness I see displayed all around me by people of all colors.

I have been blessed to visit the Holy City of Mecca. I have made my seven circuits around the Ka'ba, led by a young Mutawaf named Muhammad. I drank water from the well of Zem Zem. I ran seven times back and forth between the hills of Mt. Al-Safa and Al-Marwah. I have prayed in the ancient city of Mina, and I have prayed on Mt. Arafat.

There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue eyed blonds to black skin Africans. But we were all participating in the same rituals, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had lead me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white.

America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have considered 'white' -- but the 'white' attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color.

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to re-arrange much of my thought patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experiences and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept in the same bed, (or on the same rug) -- while praying to the same God -- with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the same words and in the actions and in the deeds of the 'white' Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana.

We were truly all the same (brothers) -- because their belief in one God had removed the 'white' from their minds, the 'white' from their behavior, and the 'white' from their attitude.

I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man -- and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their differences in color.

With racism plaguing America like an incurable cancer, the so-called 'Christian' white American heart should be more receptive to a proven solution to such a destructive problem. Perhaps it could be in time to save America from imminent disaster -- the same destruction brought upon Germany by racism that eventually destroyed the Germans themselves.

Each hour here in the Holy Land enables me to have greater spiritual insights into what is happening in America between black and white. The American Negro never can be blamed for his racial animosities -- he is only reacting to four hundred years of conscious racism of the American whites. But as racism leads America up the suicide path, I do believe, from the experience that I have had with them, that the whites of the younger generation, in the colleges and universities, will see the handwriting on the wall and many of them will turn to the spiritual path of truth -- the only way left to America to ward off the disaster that racism inevitably must lead to.

Never have I been so highly honored. Never have I been made to feel more humble and unworthy. Who would believe the blessings that have been heaped upon an American Negro? A few nights ago, a man who would be called in America a 'white' man, a United Nations diplomat, an ambassador, a companion of kings, gave me his hotel suite, his bed. By this man, His Excellency Prince Faisal, who rules this Holy Land, was made aware of my presence here in Jedda. The very next morning, Prince Faisal's son, in person, informed me that by the will and decree of his esteemed father, I was to be a State Guest.

The deputy Chief of Protocol himself took me before the Hajj Court. His Holiness Sheikh Muhammad Harkon himself okayed my visit to Mecca. His Holiness gave me two books on Islam, with his personal seal and autograph, and he told me that he prayed that I would be a successful preacher of Islam in America. A car, a driver, and a guide, have been placed at my disposal, making it possible for me to travel about this Holy Land almost at will. The government provides air conditioned quarters and servants in each city that I visit. Never would I have even thought of dreaming that I would ever be a recipient of such honors -- honors that in America would be bestowed upon a King -- not a Negro.

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the Worlds.

Sincerely,

El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

:salam2: First of all this is wrong and if it happened then these must be some isolated cases. Even then this should not be allowed. In my masjid we have people from all over. Arab it is not a nationality. Our prophet said whoever speaks Arabic is an ARAB. And people should remember his last sermon. All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Salaam,

To my brother from NJ...I am a Pakistani woman who married a Black man. I got it from everyone. Hey, the only thing that really matters is that I remember I am a slave of Allah. I pray that I serve My Lord. He gave me two beautiful sons..Alhumdullila is all I can say.

alhamdulillah, sister. you said you got it from everyone, but i don't understand why people should be shocked. why are people thinking that black people are less important? it really puzzles me because, there are hardly any black people in their countries for them to have experiences with blacks. and no african nations have had colonial powers in any of these countries. it's like they would be ashamed of us.

IbnAlAawam

I think Mirajmom, was right when she mentioned European colonialism; some people associate light skin with power and just want to associate themsleves with it.

One thing that always makes me wonder is the number of light skin Bolliwood stars and then the number of European type actors in Arab commercials... They just don't reflect the national physique...

Globalpeace

Banned
Pakistani, Gujrati & Bangali, European, Black Muslims

Asslamo Allaikum,

There are Mosques in UK where in the consitution it is written (yes you are reading this correctly****):

"Pakistani Children NOT Allowed"

There are mosques in UK who openly discrimanate against Bangali & Gujrati children

I get mixed-race couples come to our school all the time where their children have been abused in Mosques.

I have personally spoken to revert Sisters who have cried about how they were VERBALLY ABUSED & KICKED out of a Mosque!

OR

"Told to Learn and understand Urdu"

None of the above is a joke, all true stories.

Someone in my family is married to an Afro-Carribean brother; and you can't imagine the hell she went through!

My Sister was married to a American (White) revert! I wasn't even practising Islam at the time so I didn't care & neither did our immediate family but BOY-O-BOY did our family get it in the community!

My uncle, my cousins have been married to reverts for the last 35+ years so it has never been a novelty in our family, Alhum-do-illah. As a matter of fact some of these half-white/half pakistani kids have grown up & in turn married Arabs, Turks etc; We make fun of each other when everyone meets up but that's about it.

We got blacks, Whites, Chinese, Afghan, Indians, West-Indians, Arabs in the family (men & women)...I can't even remember everyone now :)

So we are used to it but some of the Muslims are still diabolical in their attitudes.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Asslamo Allaikum,

There are Mosques in UK where in the consitution it is written (yes you are reading this correctly****):

"Pakistani Children NOT Allowed"

There are mosques in UK who openly discrimanate against Bangali & Gujrati children

I get mixed-race couples come to our school all the time where their children have been abused in Mosques.

I have personally spoken to revert Sisters who have cried about how they were VERBALLY ABUSED & KICKED out of a Mosque!

OR

"Told to Learn and understand Urdu"

None of the above is a joke, all true stories.

Someone in my family is married to an Afro-Carribean brother; and you can't imagine the hell she went through!

My Sister was married to a American (White) revert! I wasn't even practising Islam at the time so I didn't care & neither did our immediate family but BOY-O-BOY did our family get it in the community!

My uncle, my cousins have been married to reverts for the last 35+ years so it has never been a novelty in our family, Alhum-do-illah. As a matter of fact some of these half-white/half pakistani kids have grown up & in turn married Arabs, Turks etc; We make fun of each other when everyone meets up but that's about it.

We got blacks, Whites, Chinese, Afghan, Indians, West-Indians, Arabs in the family (men & women)...I can't even remember everyone now :)

So we are used to it but some of the Muslims are still diabolical in their attitudes.

you mentioned that someone in your family married an afro-caribbean ( black ) man and that she received hell for that. my question is why? i try to figure this out. the black man is the most hated and least respected person on earth and it's puzzling because he hasn't imposed colonialism or slavery on non-blacks etc. and the world doesn't respect him, it's a sin to marry him or a shame to the family for many. it has kept a lot of pious brothers from marrying.

Globalpeace

Banned
Black vs White AND the ASIANS!

Asslamo Allaikum,

In case of Asians, its about Colonialism, we were brain-washed in the following manner:

1) British took the dress of the Nawabs/Maharajas and made their servants wear it. To this day you go to an upscale Asian restaurant; pay attention to what the waiters are wearing!

2) Junior & even non-commissioned officers were made to humiliate scholars, noble-men, women etc.

3) We were subjugated at the hands of the whites & ITS obvious that people tend to adore the subjugators i.e. they assume that because we were subjugated, the subjugators must be superior

4) In Asia, Aryans (fairer skin people) have always been eulogized and looked up to in poetry. In Hindu’ism, Buddh’ism, & Islam minority Aryans have held away over majority Dravidians. Take a look at the pictures of most Moghul Emperors who ruled Muslims (In India) and notice their Complexion (*) and features; do they look Indian to you?

I can assure that most of our poetry is about women with fair cheeks, dark black pupils and big lush-black hair! :)

5) Take a look at Media today (Bollywood etc.) and notice their complexions (*) and features; do they look Indian to you? Some of these women have so much makeup on to try to look fairer; they look like ghosts!

6) Take a look at how Asian women go to great lengths to look fairer!
5 & 6 are legacies of 1,2, 3 & 4!

(*): Total mental block on; how do you spell complexion (I mean the colour of the skin)? Never really cared much about it so don't know how to spell it!

P.S: Going off the tangent and raising controversy!

I, like most Asian men don't like women who don't have nice long, flowing hair! :) . I also think that Asian women have the best hair, skin tone and complexion. So guilty to a certain extent in stereo-typing. But I also know that many Non-Asian men say the same thing! :)

you mentioned that someone in your family married an afro-caribbean ( black ) man and that she received hell for that. my question is why? i try to figure this out. the black man is the most hated and least respected person on earth and it's puzzling because he hasn't imposed colonialism or slavery on non-blacks etc. and the world doesn't respect him, it's a sin to marry him or a shame to the family for many. it has kept a lot of pious brothers from marrying.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam Brother,

You ask this simple woman questions that puzzle scholars. Human nature is base. We all want power and dominion over something. There is always a pecking order. Brother is not all crime taking that which is not yours. When we discuss self-esteem..if I do not like myself and am ashamed of myself I have to find something (other) than myself to hate...so I can be something. If I decided this other ( black) is not as good as myself..I can bully others to think like me..I then have a group menatality..I ( nonblack) am better than you (black) by my standards.
This is the root of evil. This is rape. This is the cause of so much pain in this world. What they forget is Allah gave us life. Allah will question us one day.
Prayer teaches us to keep our hearts clean. I pray to wash away my sins. I want to be light when I, InshaAllah, meet my Lord, My Maker, My Creator, The Truth, The Home of Peace, The Gurdian of the Universe. He gave us each other for a purpose..I pray He grant me a path to serve Him by serving my brohter and sisters in humanity.

justoneofmillion

alhamdulillah, sister. you said you got it from everyone, but i don't understand why people should be shocked. why are people thinking that black people are less important? it really puzzles me because, there are hardly any black people in their countries for them to have experiences with blacks. and no african nations have had colonial powers in any of these countries. it's like they would be ashamed of us.
assalam ,brother i do not know what experience you have had or what kind of monstrous people you have met but i think you are pushing it a bit too far..... when it comes to marriage matters for example Arabs don`t like giving their daughters to nobody not even to Arabs that they don`t know in general if you ever lived in the desert than you would understand what it represents letting go of a woman for an Arab it is a different mentality different, environement, with big family structure,connections,(which can also be a good platform for the stability of the marriage...etc just take a look at brother Raeds thread and you `ll know what am talking about racism has little to do with it i believe it can be wrong sometimes but not always :SMILY303:wassalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

This is for dear Brother Justoneofmillion. When you live in the US racism is blatant. The brother from NJ experiences it everyday. I have people who will not invite me to their homes because of the color of skin of my husband. The feelings of isolation become deeper when people of your own faith show prefrences.
In a society that still has color markers, you learn to adjust. You learn to eat at places that are safe...there are still black parts of towns, white parts, and the hispanic.
This is our reality. Last year I had a client contact my office because they did not want a n---er to provide cousenling for them. I was replaced by two young blonde females who total education and experinces did not match one half of mine.
We need to reach out to our brothers. We need to remember we are one. I know our cultures are very protective of women. I suggest that the brothers start introducing single brohters to their families. As they say..don't talk the talk, walk it.
I pray you understand my words.
With sincere love,
Your sister in Islam.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I was JUST coming here to start a thread about this very subject. I am a white, female, revert and have been stunned at the sheer racism directed towards me from all races of Muslims.

It's quite funny, actually...when it doesn't make me want to weep. I have had no less than four sets of parents of friends (Muslim) tell me I am to consider myself their daughter. But they will NOT allow their children to marry outside their race/tribe/nation. For instance....I have some Syrian friends and their father was visiting for a week. He praised me and told me how proud he was that I converted. I just found out today that he forbids his children to marry a non-Syrian. So he calls me his daughter but wouldn't marry his son to someone like me? Hypocrite?

A Pakistani brother is interested in marrying me and I am interested in marrying him. I met his parents and they were so kind and said I was a daughter to them. They still will not give approval so we can marry. Once again there is this contradictory dichotomy at play.

Time and time again I am embraced and kissed by the parents of my friends and told I am their daughter now. And yet still they would not allow their blood children to marry ourside their culture. It is backwards to the teachings of Islam. It's like they decided to read all the sermons, hadiths, and surrahs except the very last sermon. Forgive me...as this topis is a sensitive one for me.

~Sarah

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Salaam,

I was JUST coming here to start a thread about this very subject. I am a white, female, revert and have been stunned at the sheer racism directed towards me from all races of Muslims.

It's quite funny, actually...when it doesn't make me want to weep. I have had no less than four sets of parents of friends (Muslim) tell me I am to consider myself their daughter. But they will NOT allow their children to marry outside their race/tribe/nation. For instance....I have some Syrian friends and their father was visiting for a week. He praised me and told me how proud he was that I converted. I just found out today that he forbids his children to marry a non-Syrian. So he calls me his daughter but wouldn't marry his son to someone like me? Hypocrite?

A Pakistani brother is interested in marrying me and I am interested in marrying him. I met his parents and they were so kind and said I was a daughter to them. They still will not give approval so we can marry. Once again there is this contradictory dichotomy at play.

Time and time again I am embraced and kissed by the parents of my friends and told I am their daughter now. And yet still they would not allow their blood children to marry ourside their culture. It is backwards to the teachings of Islam. It's like they decided to read all the sermons, hadiths, and surrahs except the very last sermon. Forgive me...as this topis is a sensitive one for me.

~Sarah

i understand where you're coming from. it seems to me like people think that this one person, will destroy the entire race, like there aren't millions of other women from their country. for some culture is a higher priority.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

ShyHijabi, Little sister do not get angry. I have lived through it. I think it takes about 20 years for people to get over it.

What you must hold on to is Allah will give you a husband when Allah wills it. I pray Allah will give you a man that loves Allah more than anything. InshaAllah you will be blessed and have children. Put your faith in Allah..we are just humans...forgive our shortcomings..