Ramadan Announcment

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
( Qatar , Egypt ,Jordan, Sudan, and Sunni of Iraq )
Saudia Announced few mins that tomorrow will be a completion of month of Shaban and Saturday will be the first day of Ramadan insha Allah.
May Allah make this a blessed month for all of us, and make us able to fast Ramadan in the best way possible and forgive our sins

Turkey Lybia announced tomorrow is Ramadan in their countries.

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Why this mixing up ?!!
we have to fast in the same day
however I must follow my country
I'll fast on saturday in sha'a Allah

fátima90

( Qatar , Egypt ,Jordan, Sudan, and Sunni of Iraq )
Saudia Announced few mins that tomorrow will be a completion of month of Shaban and Saturday will be the first day of Ramadan insha Allah.
May Allah make this a blessed month for all of us, and make us able to fast Ramadan in the best way possible and forgive our sins

Turkey Lybia announced tomorrow is Ramadan in their countries.

Shouldn't deciding when ramadan is according to seeing the hilal? I meam why don't all the countries follow the country that really saw ramadan's hilal?!
Wassalamu alaykum
Ramadan mubarak

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

Brother and Sisters before just start the blaming game we need to understand the fiqh behinde sighting Hilal. There is ijthad..

In short there is something called Unified Sighting - Following first Islamic country which sight the moon

and Differential sighting - Following your own country and community sighting

So stop posting argumental posting and follow your country in fasting Ramadan. And pray for every one to have blessed Ramadan inshaAllah.

Wa salaam alikom

carpy321

salam..

im a revert to islam and its only my third fast.. i dont really know when fasting is.. i live in london.. and there isnt any one i have to ask. can some one please inform me
jazakallah

sister myriam

islam is my way
assalamu alaikom

salam..

im a revert to islam and its only my third fast.. i dont really know when fasting is.. i live in london.. and there isnt any one i have to ask. can some one please inform me
jazakallah

u can go to the closest islamic center where u live ...they are suposed to say for u when ramadan is...

:salam2:

Local or international sighting of moon?

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
al-Aqalliyaat al-Muslimah - Page 84, Fatwa No.23

Question: Should we fast and end our fast according to the sighting of the new moon in Saudi Arabia or should we do it according to the sighting of the new moon in the country where we are?

Response: There are as many as six different opinions amongst the scholars concerning this issue. However, there are two main points of view. The first is that everyone should sight the moon in their own country and those countries where the moon rises at the same time should follow them. The reason for this is that the time at which the moon rises, varies from place to place. The second opinion is that the beginning of the new month need only be confirmed in any one of the Muslim countries. If the sighting of the new moon is confirmed in any Muslim country, it is then obligatory for all Muslims to use that sighting to begin the fast of Ramadhaan or end it. According to this last opinion, if the new month is confirmed in Saudi Arabia it is obligatory upon all Muslims, in all parts of the world, to fast if it is the beginning of Ramadhaan and to end their fast if it is the beginning of Shawwaal. This is the most common opinion held by the followers of the madhhab of Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal.

However, the first opinion is more correct because of the evidence in the Qur.aan, Sunnah and because of analogy. With regards to the Qur.aan, Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) says:

{The month of Ramadaan in which was revealed the Qur.aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever witnesses the month should fast it...}, [Soorah al-Baqarah, Aayah 185].

This last sentence is a conditional sentence, and the ruling contained in a conditional sentence is established for whomever the condition applies to and it is annulled for anyone for whom the condition does not apply. So the sentence: «Whoever witnesses the month should fast it» implies that whoever does not witness it does not fast it.

It is well known amongst astronomers that the time the moon rises differs from place to place. The moon might be seen in one place and not in another. Therefore, according to the verse, whoever does not see it is not obliged to fast.

With regards to the Sunnah, the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

«If you sight it (the new moon of Ramadaan), then fast and if you sight it (the new moon of Shawaal),then end the fast. And if it is obscured from you, then complete thirty days (of Sha'baan»).

He (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

«If you sight it».

He therefore linked the ruling to the sighting and if a ruling is linked to an effective cause, then that ruling is annulled in the absence of that cause.

With regards to analogy, we say that in as much as the times for beginning the fast and breaking the fast every day vary from place to place so, in the same way, the times for the beginning and ending of the monthly fast also vary. We here in Riyadh, for example, begin our fast every day before the people in Al-Hijaaz and we also break our fast before they do. It is, therefore, obligatory upon us to start fasting while they are still eating. On the other hand, at the end of the day we are eating while they are still fasting. If, therefore, each place has its own ruling due to the variation in the time that the sun rises and sets, the same also applies due to the variation in the time that the moon rises and sets.

Therefore, the answer to the question is clear. It is obligatory for you to follow the sighting of the new moon in the place where you are.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
al-Aqalliyaat al-Muslimah - Page 84, Fatwa No.23

Published: 9 October 2000
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/salam/message/1221

Now I read this, and obtained more insight in the process of deciding. But I always leave it upon the sheik in our masjid to inform us.

:wasalam:

carpy321

salam..

i apolagise for being trouble but i cant see any moon at the moment. it is very over cast i dont really have any muslim brothers or sisters to guide me ever. Ive herd genral chatter that around london its saturday thats it.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:salam2: dear sister,

London Central Mosque has just declared that Ramadhaan is going to be on Saturday insha'Allah!!!

bemuslim

Praise be to Allaah.

If a man saw the new moon of Ramadaan on his own, or he saw the new moon of Shawwaal on his own, and he told the qaadi or the people of the city but they did not accept his testimony, should he fast on his own or should he only fast with the people? There are three scholarly points of view:

1 – He should act upon his own sighting in both cases, so he should fast from the beginning of the month and break the fast at the end on his own. This is the view of Imam al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him).

But he should do that secretly so that he does not show openly that he is doing something different than the people and so that this will not lead to them thinking badly of him or regarding him as a fast-breaker when they are fasting.

2 – He should act upon his own sighting at the beginning of the month and fast on his own, but at the end of the month he should not act upon his own sighting, rather he should break the fast when the people do.

This is the view of the majority of scholars, including Abu Haneefah, Maalik and Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on them).

This view was also favoured by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) who said: This is in order to be on the safe side, so that we may be on the safe side with regard to starting and ending the fast. With regard to fasting, we say to him: fast, and with regard to breaking the fast, we say to him: Do not break the fast, rather you should fast. End quote from al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 6/330.

3 – He should not act upon his own sighting in either case; rather he should start fasting and stop fasting with the people.

This was the view of Imam Ahmad in one report, and it was the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, He quoted a great deal of evidence to support it, and he said: The third view is that he should start and end the fast with the people. This is the most correct 9?) view, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Your fast is the day when you fast, and your breaking the fast is the day when you break the fast, and your sacrifice is the day when you offer the sacrifice.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, who said it is hasan ghareeb. Also narrated by Abu Dawood, and by Ibn Maajah, who mentioned breaking the fast and the sacrifice only. Also narrated by al-Tirmidhi from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ja’far from ‘Uthmaan ibn Muhammad from al-Maqbari from Abu Hurayrah, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The fast is the day when you fast, the breaking of the fast is the day when you break the fast, and the sacrifice is the day when you offer the sacrifice.” Al-Tirmidhi said: This is a hasan ghareeb hadeeth. And some scholars interpreted this hadeeth as meaning that one should start and end the fast with the community and the majority of the people. End quote from Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 25/114.

He also quoted as evidence the fact that even if he sighted the new moon of Dhu’l-Hijjah on his own, none of the scholars suggested that he should observe the standing at ‘Arafah on his own.

He said that the basic principle concerning this matter is that the ruling is connected to the new moon of the month. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you (O Muhammad) about the new moons [ahillah]. Say: These are signs to mark fixed periods of time for mankind and for the pilgrimage”

[al-Baqarah 2:189]

Hilal (pl. ahillah) in Arabic refers to when something is announced and everyone knows about it. If the hilal shows in the sky but people did not recognize it and announce its sighting, then it is not a hilal.

Similarly the word shahr (month) is taken from the word shuhrah (fame); if it is not well known among the people then the month has not begun. Many people make a mistake with regard to this matter and think that when the moon appears in the sky, that night is the first of the month, whether it appears to the people and they announce it or not. But that is not the case, rather it has to appear to the people and they have to announce the beginning of the month when they see it. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Your fast is the day when you fast, and your breaking the fast is the day when you break the fast, and your sacrifice is the day when you offer the sacrifice” i.e., this day on which you announce the beginning or end of the fast or the sacrifice. If you do not recognize it, then no ruling can be based on that. End quote from Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 25/202.

This view was expressed in a fatwa issued by Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh, 15/72.

The hadeeth, “The fast is the day when you fast…” was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 561.

See the views of the fuqaha’ in al-Mughni, 3/47, 49; al-Majmoo’, 6/290; al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 28/18.

And Allaah knows best.