Recitation method?

yahyaTX

Asalamu alaykum. Astaghfirullah if this seems disrespectful, but can someone tell me why it is custom to "sing" Quran? Why not just say it? Does anyone know of any hadith regarding this? Thank you.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Assalam 'Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Prophet (pbuh) said, "Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif-Lam-Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter.'' [At-Tirmidhi]

Allah says in Quran, "And recite the Qur'an in slow measured rhythmic tone". (Surah al-Muzzammil, Verse Number 4)

Therefore it is not singing, but obeying Allah when we recite it with Tajweed. :)

Ma'ah Salaamah

yahyaTX

tajweed is not singing.,,,it is elocution which is formal and expressive...it is how quran is meant to be recited

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajwid

I have read about tajwid and it only says to enunciate and make clear distinction/pause between each ayat. And yes Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says to recite in a measured form but does not say anything about the pitch of our voice. Many of those who recite seem to be arbitrarily assigning pitch to words as they go, using an unnatural voice from how they would speak any other true thing. The closest thing I can compare it to is singing. I understand the rhythmic aspects but I do not understand the weird things people insist on doing with the pitch of their voice. It's very confusing and everyone I ask seems to dodge the question, I don't know why. Any one else want to weigh in on this?

Allah knows best.

strive-may-i

I have read about tajwid and it only says to enunciate and make clear distinction/pause between each ayat. And yes Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says to recite in a measured form but does not say anything about the pitch of our voice. Many of those who recite seem to be arbitrarily assigning pitch to words as they go, using an unnatural voice from how they would speak any other true thing. The closest thing I can compare it to is singing. I understand the rhythmic aspects but I do not understand the weird things people insist on doing with the pitch of their voice. It's very confusing and everyone I ask seems to dodge the question, I don't know why. Any one else want to weigh in on this?

Allah knows best.
Assalaamu Alaikum Warahmathullaahi wabarakaatuh,

Brother, the best reply. Work on it, improve gradually :)
"The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Qur'an will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (angels) and he who recites the Qur'an and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have a double reward." [Bukhari ]

"Read the Qur'an, for it will come as an intercessor for its reciters on the Day of Resurrection." [Muslim]

"Whoever recites a letter from the Book of Allah, he will be credited with a good deed, and a good deed gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif-Lam-Mim is one letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter and Mim is a letter." [Tirmidhi]

"It will be said to the companion of the Quran: Read and elevate (through the levels of the Paradise) and beautify your voice as you used to do when you were in dunya! For verily, your position in Paradise will be at the last verse you recite!"
[Tirmidhi]