Ruling on putting advertisements in the mosque

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Assalamu'alaikum,

I was looking for this fatwa, alhamdulillah found it.

--------------------------------------------------

What is the ruling on displaying advertisements in the Masjid about competitions, lectures or Islamic seminars, under the auspices of specific companies or schools?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Mosques are for worship, and it is forbidden to buy, sell and earn money therein. So it is not permissible to use the mosque as a means of advertising for companies, schools or anything else.

As for advertisements about religious lectures and seminars, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as that is not an advertisement for a specific committee, company, institution or the like. End quote.

From Fataawa al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah Aal al-Shaykh (Majallat al-Da’wah, 43)

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/105374

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
It is unfortunate masjids in my country are becoming commercial centre. The walls are now decorated with advertisement. Although they have specific corner for such advertising services, goods, courses etc, I don't know why they place it towards the kiblah. Anyway, the ruling is clear so there should be no advertisement or selling products in masjid.

Often, when I was performing optional prayers at a corner, I have to shift places few times because as soon as I raise my both hands, there are advertisement like "house for rent, car for sales, 3 in 1 coffee, dates for sales and umrah pilgrimage promotion etc". How to focus on salat when there is something distracting in front of you? Then again, often after delivering lecture imam/ ustaz will take few minutes to promote his /their products, although most of the proceed goes to charity as claimed but the rulings is clear unless done outside the compound.

I'm seeking your views, brothers and sisters. It is time for me to confront my masjid chairman.

strive-may-i

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Remember trade is so widespread, that most of us end up wearing and carrying the name of the brands. Years before we were told the name of the tailor who stitched the cloth used to be inside. Thus each one of us is a 'brand superman' by wearing the brand name outside!

Now whats the 'chair'-man doing in the mosque? Bowing to the commercial lobbies pressure? How does the mosque run? Are these lobbies funding the mosque? It would end up like the lobbies in political circles. The line has definitely been crossed. You will have to put this across nicely.