Saudi religious police ban pet cats and dogs

muselman

:salam2:

RIYADH (AFP) - Saudi Arabia's religious police have announced a ban on selling cats and dogs as pets, or walking them in public in the Saudi capital, because of men using them as a means of making passes at women, an official said on Wednesday.
Othman al-Othman, head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice in Riyadh, known as the Muttawa, told the Saudi edition of al-Hayat daily that the commission has started enforcing an old religious edict.

He said the commission was implementing a decision taken a month ago by the acting governor of the capital, Prince Sattam bin Abdul Aziz, adding that it follows an old edict issued by the supreme council of Saudi scholars.

The reason behind reinforcing the edict now was a rising fashion among some men using pets in public "to make passes on women and disturb families," he said, without giving more details.

Othman said that the commission has instructed its offices in the capital to tell pet shops "to stop selling cats and dogs".

The 5,000-strong religious police oversees the adherence to Wahabism -- a strict version of Sunni Islam, which also forces women to cover from head to toe when in public, and bans them from driving.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080730/tod-saudi-religion-animal-offbeat-7f81b96.html

:wasalam:

Rivergirl

im just worried what is going to happen to these animals if no one is allowed to keep them as pets?

Salem9022

First there is no such thing called "Wahabism" No Muslim in Saudi Arabia adheres to this Belief. It doesn't even Exist.

Also, I agree with not selling cats and Dogs. I wouldn't want any animal caged up inside like a prison. It's an Animal it can feed it self especially the cat.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Domesticated animals do not survive well when left to fend for themselves. The owning of cats and dogs (for herding and protection) is permitted in Islam. So their interpretation is skewed. I think it would make more sense to have all those police to nip the men's behavior than to put hundreds of animals in danger of starvation due to neglect. This is a bit like cutting off your own nose because you have a pimple on it.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!

oh thats sad...:girl3: i really like cats. jazak Allahu khayra for sharing

how can they ban these little adorable kitties
Cats.jpg

kittenpeanutbutter.gif

275332897_90e8ceef.gif

soooooooo adorable masha Allah

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I have had mid east dogs as saluqies. How they can know whose are just pets or for hunting or protecting?

dcda996a4b.jpg

These ones...

Zainudin Jaffar

Strive to be Mukmin

"I think it would make more sense to have all those police to nip the men's behavior than to put hundreds of animals in danger of starvation due to neglect. This is a bit like cutting off your own nose because you have a pimple on it."

Ouch! Ouch! it hurts!

a_brother

Make dua for us all

RIYADH (AFP) - Saudi Arabia's religious police have announced a ban on selling cats and dogs as pets, or walking them in public in the Saudi capital

there is a prohibition of buying/selling, not owning! so, from what i understand, one can own a pet but can't walk it outside... one may own a pet by not buying it, but by been giving a pet from someone else!.... interesting!!!

Mumin01

1.) Cats are completely permitted by Islam but you cant buy or sell them. so them saying that cats are no longer allowed as pets has no basis. even a cat drinking out of a bowl of wudu water does not become najis

2.) Dogs are allowed to be kept in islam but only under strict parameters, by keeping them as hunting dogs only, we cant domesticate them into our homes

Really the Saudi government and most of its religious leaders are really starting to frustrate me

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/7004

palestine

Servant of Allah
Salaam,

Domesticated animals do not survive well when left to fend for themselves. The owning of cats and dogs (for herding and protection) is permitted in Islam. So their interpretation is skewed. I think it would make more sense to have all those police to nip the men's behavior than to put hundreds of animals in danger of starvation due to neglect. This is a bit like cutting off your own nose because you have a pimple on it.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

you're right sis. but i don't think these men are using the animals to protect themselves or to use them for herding. but i do agree that the animals should not be neglected and left alone. i mean they can be put in an animal shelter or so and get fed and everything but they should not be kept inside the house and used as pets. peace. salam.

palestine

Servant of Allah

oh thats sad...:girl3: i really like cats. jazak Allahu khayra for sharing

how they these little adorable kitties
Cats.jpg

kittenpeanutbutter.gif

275332897_90e8ceef.gif

soooooooo adorable masha Allah

i love cats too. i raised some when i was younger. it was so cool. but we had to move so we left them back home. cats i don't think are a problem as pets in the islamic perspective. but it's the dogs. with all that icky saliva and so on. asalamu alaykum.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
i love cats too. i raised some when i was younger. it was so cool. but we had to move so we left them back home. cats i don't think are a problem as pets in the islamic perspective. but it's the dogs. with all that icky saliva and so on. asalamu alaykum.

oh thats nice to see somebody Alhamdulilah, well i never had one my neighbor use to have few, so i use pet them. i really missed them. they were sooo cuuuuuuuut!:hearts:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

Jazak Allah khair for the post

Well dogs are not allowed in the house in Islam and can be kept outside for farming. But it is obvious if they are farm dogs the owner would not be walking them through the town. That would give the assumption it is a house pet. I never seen people walking a farm dog:) But with any regards if people own them for farming purposes Inshallah the government can make exceptions to the rules but to ban something that would mean alot of men are abusing the power of owning a dog and not using it for the correct purposes and their intentions are bad. If they are trying to harass women then I agree with the ban. The government intentions are good for the peoples protection if it wasnt they could have banned it along time ago just because.

Now for the cats. I do not understand that one at all. As long as I lived I never saw a cat being walked.:) They are cute but I personally would not keep them in my house.

In Saudi I know the women cannot drive my husband cousin lives there and she said they have asked the prince about the matter and he is considering but she told me that was last year:( I wonder was the answer NO?But I think it is a good idea women do not drive because then they will start going out by themselves without mahrems and possible open the doors for trouble. Then teenagers hanging out, etc... I know that is hard to cope with but I see the intentions behind it are great from the government prespective.

Also can someone tell me if this is correct? I thought in Islam you cannot have pets just because you think their cute and want them I thought they are kept to serve purposes including cats. Maybe that is why the banned the selling of both.

If there is a sister here who lives in Saudia can you pm me I have some questions Thanks

Salam Amirah80:hearts:

Salam Amirah80

justoneofmillion

RIYADH (AFP) - Saudi Arabia's religious police have announced a ban on selling cats and dogs as pets, or walking them in public in the Saudi capital, because of men using them as a means of making passes at women, an official said on Wednesday.
Are some seriously using cats and dogs as a trap! subhanallah i knew about the baby option, but com on folks people need to cool down a bit there and parents need not to be so greedy and money hunting and let their children simply marry and cool their nerves once for all in a halaal way,subhanallah muslims are they ones who are supposed to ease the way to the halaal yet their are making the way bright and easy to the haraam because of their selfishness and complexes!what if they switch it to koala bears or hamsters next time what is gonna happen? humans are sadly pretty creative in such matters... will they ban them also!the imams and shoyoukh need to educate the parents for Allah sake it is really important that they do so!, quite a strange measure in my mind and we will still in this state as long as they are still banning science technology and getting busy arguing about such stupidities seriously i think it s weird! these fitan will not stop unless Muslims stop living for the eyes of the others and start living for the eyes of Allah swt alone!i hope didn t offend anyone inshallah but that is my thought about it who knows i may be wrong.
ps.the fact that they forbid the selling and buying of these animals is not that objectionable but the motives their putting forward to sustain their decision are way too illogical in my mind.
wassalaam
jameel

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
these fitan will not stop unless Muslims stop living for the eyes of the others and start living for the eyes of Allah swt alone!wassalaam
jameel

That is true. But it is obviously not happening right now. So until that is done the government needs to protect the people from this the best they know how. I wish the would ban some stuff in America :) maybe our country would not be so bad.