Should I or shouldn't I?

azmirush

:salam2:
It's not a very big deal actually but then when I look at myself in the mirror with strands of gray hair visible and they are appearing fast, should I or should I not dye my hair. In my country there are many hair dyes with halal logo. But could they be trusted, I'm not sure.
I wear hijab :blackhijab: when I'm out of the house all the time and if I dye my hair not because I'm showing off to anybody but to myself and hubby. I want to look good for him so that I will not end up being the first wife.
So should I or should I not dye my hair. Have henna too in mind..hmm..

BinteShafi

Left long ago
:wasalam:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: dyeing grey hairs is Sunnah and is part of the teachings of Islam. It means dyeing grey hairs on the head and in the beard, for men. For women, it refers to the hair of the head.

It was reported that Abu Hurayrah said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews and the Christians do not dye their hair, so be different from them.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3275; Muslim, 2103).

It was reported that Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased him) said: “O Ansaar, dye your hair red and yellow, and be different from the A’aajim (Persians).” (Narrated by Ahmad, 21780. The isnaad of this hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar in al-Fath, 10/354).

Secondly: changing grey hair by dyeing it black is haraam. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, who forbid it completely, because of the hadeeth of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), when he saw Abu Quhaafah. Jaabir said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him_ said, when he saw his head looking as white as the thaghaamah plant, “Change this…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2102).

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: There are people who dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons; they will never smell the fragrance of Paradise.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4212; al-Nasaa’i, 5075).

Ibn Hajar said: the isnaad of this hadeeth is qawiy (strong), but there is some dispute as to whether it is marfoo’ (narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) or mawqoof (the isnaad stops at the Sahaabi). But even if we agree that it is mawqoof, it still has the status of being marfoo’, because the Sahaabah would not have spoken on the basis of their own opinions, i.e., it must be something that they heard from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)). Fath al-baari, 6/499.

And Allah knows best.

Source:IslamQA

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle concerning things other than acts of worship is that they are permissible. Based on this it is permissible for a woman to dye her hair if she wishes, unless it is black dye that is used to conceal grey hairs, which is not permitted because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined changing grey hair but he said “avoid black”; or if this dye is something that is used only by kaafir women such that if this woman was seen, people would say that she is a kaafir woman, because no one uses this dye except kaafir women. In that case, it is haraam for a woman to dye her hair with it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” If the dye is free from these two elements, i.e., black to cover grey hairs and dye that is used only by kaafir women, then the basic principle is that it is permissible, so the woman may dye her hair if she wishes. End quote.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Islam Q&A

LaLa09

♥Amor vincit omnia♥
ask your man, Simple really!
maybe he likes gray. ask him what color he likes?

Yes i agree, some people like myself like the color gray, but it is permissible for you to dye your hair any color except black.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
salaam ukhti

my advide, go for it- as long as he likes it!
May Allah keep your marriage strong!

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
just apply henna. It looks great and will cover grey hair, plus make your hair soft and shiny. It's Sunnah too.

azmirush

"ask your man, Simple really!
maybe he likes gray. ask him what color he likes"

arzafar, he's favorite color is orange... can't imagine having that color on my head. :D

azmirush

Thank you for the good advice. Yesterday, I asked my husband what colour he'd like me to dye my hair and guess what he said?

..Blonde.. It got me worried too if he really meant it. Is he admiring those blondes? Hope not. I could never be blonde. :girl3:

Wish me luck!

rightpath_357

lol sis- tell him that blondes r dumb! :lol: jk- no offense 2 anyone. It's actually pretty. I wanted to ask-lol- wuld i be allowed 2 dye my hair baby pink in streaks?:lol: i mean islamically-my parents wud never let me!:lol: but i dont want to- just asking:D