the best english translation of the Qu'ran

Ayanle

with the most accurate translation and commentary, where would i be able to get that? a friend asked for it so wan't to give him a good translation

jazakallah

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

Personally I think the Dr. Muhsin Khan and Dr. Hilali translation is good. However with the additional information in the brackets some dislike that (although I think it removes confusion plus the footnotes) and certain transliterated words, like Taqwa and Muhsinun appearing all the time. Therefore the Saheeh International version is probably better in terms of a smoother read although I think the former is better in understanding the verses that might be confusing.

It depends upon the context (Muslim = maybe former, non-Muslim = probably latter because of the smoother read). I'm curious, which version have reverts/converts used on this forum? (I guess it would be the Yusuf Ali due to its popularity).

brmm

:salam2:
I am very interseted in this subject, on www.quran.com we can, all, read 6 different translations for the holy Quran.
By careful investigation and a proficiency in Arabic and English language, one can see that Dr. Muhammed Mahmud Ghali is the best one.
The translations of brothers Yusuf Ali and Beckthal are good and they are well known since they were the oldest (Allah give them the Janna inshallah for their work).
Dr. Ghali was the head of the English language dept. in Al-Azhar University in Cario. He spent around 15 years to finish the translation.
The way how to know which translation is the best by comparing the original Arabic text by the English one.
Dr. Ghali kept the Arabic original names for Allah sobhanaho and the prophets PBUT all as they were mentioned in the holy Quran, and this is one of the mean conditions for the good translation.
There are other notes, like using the word (Aaya) and not using the word (verse) and Sura in stead of Chapter.
I will take an example for the investigation:

Bism Allah Alrahman Alrahim
2_136.png

2:136
Sahih International
Say, [O believers], "We have believed in Allah and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."
Muhsin Khan
Say (O Muslims), "We believe in Allah and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibrahim (Abraham), Isma'il (Ishmael), Ishaque (Isaac), Ya'qub (Jacob), and to Al-Asbat [the twelve sons of Ya'qub (Jacob)], and that which has been given to Musa (Moses) and 'Iesa (Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islam)."
Pickthall
Say (O Muslims): We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the tribes, and that which Moses and Jesus received, and that which the prophets received from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered.
Yusuf Ali
Say ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)."
Shakir
Say: We believe in Allah and (in) that which had been revealed to us, and (in) that which was revealed to Ibrahim and Ismail and Ishaq and Yaqoub and the tribes, and (in) that which was given to Musa and Isa, and (in) that which was given to the prophets from their Lord, we do not make any distinction between any of them, and to Him do we submit.
Dr. Ghali
Say (O Muslims), "We have believed in Allah, and whatever has been sent down to us, and whatever was sent down to Ibrahim, and Ismail, and Ishaq and Yaaqub (Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac and Jacob, respectively) and the Grandsons, (i.e., the Tribes) and whatever was brought down to Musa and Isa, (Moses and Jesus, respectively) and whatever was brought to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we are Muslims."

As we can see, some translations have used, for example, Abraham instead of Ibrahim or Jacop instead of Yaaqub.
Some missed to use "and" between the names like Abrahim, Ismail instead of Ibrahim and Ismail as it is mentioned in the Arabic Quran. We can see the structure of the translated sentences of the Aaya where only Dr. Ghali translation is ended with word "Muslims" as the Arabic one. This shows the accuracy of the translation.

As far as I know, Dr, Ghali translation is not available as a book for now, maybe it is available in Egypt or another country.
If some one knows please post the link because I really wish to get this translation.

I have put the translation on line to download as a PDF file with active links.

http://www.4shared.com/document/t0OL...r_Ghali.*!html

And Dr.Ghali is the one in this interview:
[yt]JMtSRq9WcB8[/yt]

One of the things he mentioned is that he wished to study the French language when he applied to the language college but they refused him, so he studied the English because it was the available option for him. Also he said that he had a twin brother who died in his early age. He born in 1920 and inshallah he is still alive. I believe Allah sobhanaho gives life for some people for a reason.

Inshallah that was useful, if you need to agree with me.

BRMM