The Crusades and Salhudin(?)

dianek

Asalaam Aleykum:

I was an ignorant christian and am just learing islam. So will someone please explain to me exactly what the crusades were and what part Salhudin played in it. I would appreciate!

dianek

Asaalamu ALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
From my knowledge he was a just and merciful ruler,so yeah i think he was compassionate.Please do correct me if i'am wrong.jazakallah khair.You should watch the movie" kingdom of heavens",i liked it.
Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

I did watch it but was afraid that I didn't understand the whole premise and history and so was afraid the movie may be bias or distorted. So I just wanted to be sure I understood the movie correctly. I loved how in the middle of battle they all stopped to do their prayers and no one attacked them while they were praying.

tabaria

:salam2:

Kingdom of heaven was entertaining buy not very factual.
I did a lot of research on the Saladin when i was younger so my memory of may be a little off.

There was 3 crusades. Started in the 11th century. These were initiated by the pope of the day and the major source of soldiers were from France. However a huge portion of europe took part in it. The Crusades started Europe itself were the soldiers would attack other christian sects and Jews. At this time the muslim world was divided by bickering leaders. So the Crusaders just sort of marched in. They were very ruthless. Many stories such as jews in a temple being told they wouldn't be harmed after negotiations with the former muslim rulers. But then which was very typical of the crusaders broke the agreement and killed all of them.

About the story of Saladin himself. He wasn't an Arab and was born into a wealthy family who's father had taken up the fight against the crusaders. His uncle was the ruler of Syria who had also fought the Crusaders.

The war between saladin and the crusaders wasn't simply a one two punch. In fact before much of it started, Saladin took over Egypt from the fatamids (shia). His uncle also passed away and he took over Syria. So he and the crusaders engaged in many battles. They also signed many treaties that the crusaders broke. The crusaders even tried to attack mecca but before they could reach saladin sent his navy, which forced them to turn around.

So saladin was taking over many cities. Then came the battle of Tabaria (which is now a lake). Which is were Saladin essentially destroyed the crusader army. He did this by lighting the dry grass on fire then sending in his troops. The take over of Jerusalem itself was not the hard part.

When saladin took over he gave the christians who fought against him a choice.
A) They could sell their land and move back home.
B) They could stay and live in peace.

Then came the problem of the jews. The Christians wanted them out saying they had no place in the city. So Saladin assigned them one (I believe its the wailing wall), and they were also allowed to stay. Saladin's army then removed the cross from the dome of the rock and replaced it with a crescent.

There came the third crusade of richard the lion heart. Nothing really happened that's too important.

Some interesting facts. Saladin sent his physicians to help the crusader king. He gave richard lion hear a horse in battle when his took off.

Another one is that at one point saladin's army kept loosing. So he sent them home and brought in another one.

Check out empire of faith (second part) and a biographies of saladin by stanley lane pool. He was two of them. I forget which one i read, but they are considered the best biographies about him.

:wasalam:

mahdi

this man was respected by every religion, not only muslims but also christians, when the cruseders conquered jeruslem, they persucuted many muslims, but when he conquered back jeruselem, he freed many off them, and he let the christians stay in jeruselem, peacefully together,, i hope we get a leader like that in our this time, i think we need someone like him,

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
saladin you mean? I saw a documentary once about him and King Richard Lionheart, if it is this what you mean?

these are some things I saw at the documentary...

[yt]xciLkLv6wR8[/yt]

this is part 2/9 so I would recommend you to watch the whole thing :)

you can type saladin and richard lionheart at www.google.com/video

may I note dianek that you are VERY HUNGRY FOR KNOWLEDGE, I like that :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
sister diane..jazaki allah khair for asking about Salahuddin
brother mohsin..jazaka allah khair for providing the biography

It has been a long while since I have read about this wonderful man..may Allah grant him paradise..inshallah!

I was moved by his biography

wa alaikum assalam

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Asalaam Aleykum:

I was an ignorant christian and am just learing islam. So will someone please explain to me exactly what the crusades were and what part Salhudin played in it. I would appreciate!

:salam2: sister,
You can watch about this story on

http://purposetv.tv/live-webcast.php

The TV channel they show it repeatedly. Both, from big historian and also from muslim scholar. when u gat time just check this site,if is not on try again later.plz dont give up.

Wasalaam.

assalamualaikum...is alexander the great the same as Salahuddin.....i saw that movie Alexander the great in which he was shown he was gay type...was that true??

dianek

assalamualaikum...is alexander the great the same as Salahuddin.....i saw that movie Alexander the great in which he was shown he was gay type...was that true??

NO, he was Russian Tsar......I love Russian history....it is so colorful and deviant and mysterious (Anastasia's story).

dianek

RUSSIAN?? their hitory is full of slaughtering and poisons!

Remember I am a revert....so used to just love all the gritty soap opera "colorful" history of the Russian Tsars and Catherine the Great........was like watching a soap opera of history....
I scored straight A's in that class!

salahdin

Gentle Hearted Warrior: Saladin al-Din aka Salahuddin Ayyubi

Gentle hearted Saladin Ayyubi became one of the world's greatest warriors by defeating crusaders and capturing the holy city of Jerusalem.

Born in Tikrit, Iraq, Saladin, his Arabic name is Salah al-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub. At the age of 14 he joined other members of his family (the Ayyubids) in the service of the Syrian ruler Nur ad-Din. . He was brought up by his noble father and talented uncle, Asad-ud-din Shirkhu. Saladin was a very intelligent and noble person. He loved peace and never enjoyed fighting battles but he and his uncle were ordered to travel and fight in three expeditions. And when the young boy who didn’t like fighting in battles fought, he fought with great bravery and strength.

Between 1164 and 1169 he distinguished himself in the three expeditions sent by Nur ad-Din to aid the decadent Fatimid rulers of Egypt against attacks by the Christian Crusaders based in Palestine. In 1169 he was made commander in chief of the Syrian army and vizier of Egypt. Having revitalized Egypt's economy and reorganized its land and naval forces, Saladin repelled the Crusaders and took the offensive against them.

After Nur ad-Din's death in 1174, Saladin became head of state, Saladin expanded his power in Syria and northern Mesopotamia.Following the submission of Damascus (1174), Halab (Aleppo) (1183), and Mosul (1186), numerous Muslim armies, allied under Saladin's command were looking immortal, The Crusaders were not happy by Saladin’s increasing power and success. Uniting their forces, they planned a decisive attack on Muslim area. Battle of Hittin took place. Muslims won under the leadership of Saladin. Thousands of Crusaders were arrested. Saladin treated the prisoners with tolerance.

In 1187 CE, Saladin conquered Jerusalem. Thousands of Crusaders were arrested. However, when their mothers, sisters, and wives appealed to Saladin, he released them. Many crusaders were ransomed. However, he paid for many of them. In addition, he provided them transport, etc. He allowed neither massacre nor looting. He gave free pardon to all citizens. He even arranged for their traveling. He granted freedom to Christians to leave the city if they paid a small tribute. Saladin paid it, himself, for about ten thousand poor people. His brother paid it for seven thousand people. Saladin also allocated one of the gates of the city for people who were too poor to pay anything that they leave from there.

On Friday 27th Rajab 583 AH, Saladin entered Jerusalem. After entering the city they went straight to the Mosque and cleaned it. Then for the first time in more then 80 years, the people of Jerusalem heard the Azan (call of prayer) from Al Aqsa Mosque.

In 1189 the nations of western Europe launched the Third Crusade to win back the holy city. But they failed. On March 4, 1193, Saladin died in Damascus. He died with no possession of Gold coins, Palaces, Slaves, but The Holy Land Of Jerusalem.

He is remembered by Muslims as well as Non-Muslims as a kind hearted un-selfish Warrior. He was a religious person and followed the teachings of Quran (Book of God) and Prophet Muhammad’s teachings regarding War, he treated all of his Prisoners with Respect and dignity, no torture, massacre, mass killing, took place during his time. And unlike all other Sultan’s he did not build a single Palace or any building for himself yet he erected mosques, palaces, hospitals, and universities in for his Muslim brothers in Cairo.This is why he is a favourite topic to write on by even Westerners.

Iyaad

Amin Maalouf, a libanese (i think) writer has a book "The Crusades from an Arabic Perspective" or something like this (I have it in Hungarian), and it's a really informative/interesting book about all the battles and happenings of those times. He used various sources, mostly from the quill of arabic writers who served on the rulers' sides.

tabaria

:salam2:

Another interesting piece of info; the US military along with other nations around the world teach tactics/strategies developed by saladin. I heard this from a few sources.

I my sis once told me they also teach strategies used by the prophet himself (pbuh).

:wasalam:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
RUSSIAN?? their hitory is full of slaughtering and poisons!

salam aleikum

No its not ONLY slaughtering and poisons ...There is bad and good in every nation ...

Sister Diane I advise u not to take all what ppl say without prove or evidence ...

waaleikum salam