Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
bismallah.gif

Times when it is forbidden to pray

...................................................................​

There are times when it is forbidden to pray. They are as follows:

From dawn until sunrise

From sunrise until the sun has risen to the height of a spear above the horizon; nowadays this is regarded as equivalent to twelve minutes after sunrise, but to be on the safe side one should make it a quarter of an hour.

When the sun is overhead at noon, until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until sunset

When the sun starts to set until it is completely set

These times may be summed up more briefly as follows:

From dawn until the sun has risen to the height of a spear

When it is directly overhead at noon until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set completely.

When we say from dawn, we mean that one should not offer voluntary prayers after the adhaan of Fajr except the Sunnah of Fajr. This is the view of the Hanbalis. The Shaafa’is are of the view that the prohibition has to do with Fajr prayer itself, so it is not forbidden to offer voluntary prayers between the adhaan and iqaamah, rather it is forbidden to offer voluntary prayers after offering the obligatory prayer of Fajr.

This is the more correct view, but one should not offer any voluntary prayer after dawn apart from the two Sunnah rak’ahs of Fajr, because the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) only prayed two brief rak’ahs after dawn had broken.

See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 4/160.

This is indicated by the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (547) and Muslim (1367) from Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: Some trustworthy men bore witness in my presence, the most trustworthy of whom in my view was ‘Umar, that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying after Fajr until the sun had risen and after ‘Asr until the sun had set.”

Al-Bukhaari (548) and Muslim (1371) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the top edge of the sun has risen, then delay praying until it has risen above the horizon, and when the lower part of the sun has set, delay praying until it is fully set.”

Al-Bukhaari (551) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no prayer after Fajr until the sun has risen fully, and no prayer after ‘Asr until the sun has set.”

Muslim (1373) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani said: “There are three times at which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to pray or to bury our dead: when the sun has clearly started to rise until it is fully risen, when it is directly overhead at midday until it has passed its zenith, and when the sun starts to set until it has fully set.”

Steve940

JazakAllah khair brother this is very useful information! I remembered reading this a long time ago but couldn't remember what the restrictions were.

Asalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:
Akhi i dont quite understand . Does this applies for makeup , sunna prayers

It is certainly good to know u include the mazhab stand in ur post...:mashallah:

It makes me happy

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Akhi i dont quite understand . Does this applies for makeup , sunna prayers

It is certainly good to know u include the mazhab stand in ur post...:mashallah:

It makes me happy

Wa alaykum Assalam

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid saied:

what is meant by making up prayers (qada’) is doing the prayer after the time for that prayer is over. The made-up prayer may be either fard (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory).

Fard prayers: The Muslims must pray regularly at the times defined by Allaah for each prayer.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”
[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

Delaying the prayer until its time is over without a reason or excuse is haraam, and it is a major sin.

If the Muslim has an excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, and he was not able to do the prayer on time, then he must make up the prayer when that reason no longer applies, even if that is at one of the times when prayer is disallowed. This is the view of the majority of scholars. See al-Mughni, 2/515.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever sleeps and misses the prayer or forgets it, let him pray it when he remembers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 597; Muslim, 684)

Naafil prayers: the scholars differed with regard to making them up at times when prayer is disallowed. The correct view is that they should be made up. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him).
See al-Majmoo’, 4/170.

It was also the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), as stated in al-Fataawa, 23/127. This is indicated by a number of ahaadeeth, such as:

The report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1233) and Muslim (834) from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs after ‘Asr, and she asked him about that. He said: “Some people from ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and distracted me from praying two rak’ahs after Zuhr, so I did them now.”

Ibn Maajah (1154) narrated that Qays ibn ‘Amr said: the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying two rak'ahs after he had prayed Fajr prayer. The Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Are you praying Fajr twice?” The man said to him, “I did not pray the two rak’ahs that come before it, so I prayed them now.” The Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent.
This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah (984).

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the fact that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent indicates that it is permissible.
(al-Mughni, 2/532).
.......end Quoted..........

i leave u in care of Allah

<wasalam>

shaz_1999

So does that mean if I wake up for Fajar late I shouldnt pray it unitl Zohar time coz in the past as soon as I wake up (if I have missed Fajar) I pray then can I not do that?

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Wa alaykum Assalam

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid saied:

what is meant by making up prayers (qada’) is doing the prayer after the time for that prayer is over. The made-up prayer may be either fard (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory).

Fard prayers: The Muslims must pray regularly at the times defined by Allaah for each prayer.

If the Muslim has an excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, and he was not able to do the prayer on time, then he must make up the prayer when that reason no longer applies, even if that is at one of the times when prayer is disallowed. This is the view of the majority of scholars. See al-Mughni, 2/515.

<wasalam>

You read my quote majority scholars say it can be done anytime sister shaz..
But best to do it quickly , you do not know when u will die...

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Agggggghhhhhhh! Agggggghhhhhhhhh! i Don'T uNdErStAnD! pLeAsE HeLP mE sOmE kInD bRoThEr oR sIsTeR! pLeAsE! fIsIbILiLaLLaH!
fOr ThE sAkE oF mY sALaT bEiNg vALiD!

sugarbb

Queries on salat.

I need some clarification. From what i understand, salat is obligatory 5 times a day, therefore there is no qada'. As soon as you wake up from sleep (if you wakes up late & miss the time), immediately perform your prayer, don't wait a single minute. Is that true ?

zarah

Islam
Staff member
bismallah.gif

Times when it is forbidden to pray

...................................................................​

There are times when it is forbidden to pray. They are as follows:

From dawn until sunrise

From sunrise until the sun has risen to the height of a spear above the horizon; nowadays this is regarded as equivalent to twelve minutes after sunrise, but to be on the safe side one should make it a quarter of an hour.

When the sun is overhead at noon, until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until sunset

When the sun starts to set until it is completely set

These times may be summed up more briefly as follows:

From dawn until the sun has risen to the height of a spear

When it is directly overhead at noon until it has passed its zenith

From ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set completely.

When we say from dawn, we mean that one should not offer voluntary prayers after the adhaan of Fajr except the Sunnah of Fajr. This is the view of the Hanbalis. The Shaafa’is are of the view that the prohibition has to do with Fajr prayer itself, so it is not forbidden to offer voluntary prayers between the adhaan and iqaamah, rather it is forbidden to offer voluntary prayers after offering the obligatory prayer of Fajr.

This is the more correct view, but one should not offer any voluntary prayer after dawn apart from the two Sunnah rak’ahs of Fajr, because the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) only prayed two brief rak’ahs after dawn had broken.

See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 4/160.

This is indicated by the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (547) and Muslim (1367) from Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: Some trustworthy men bore witness in my presence, the most trustworthy of whom in my view was ‘Umar, that the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying after Fajr until the sun had risen and after ‘Asr until the sun had set.”

Al-Bukhaari (548) and Muslim (1371) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: The Messenger of Allaah :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the top edge of the sun has risen, then delay praying until it has risen above the horizon, and when the lower part of the sun has set, delay praying until it is fully set.”

Al-Bukhaari (551) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no prayer after Fajr until the sun has risen fully, and no prayer after ‘Asr until the sun has set.”

Muslim (1373) narrated that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani said: “There are three times at which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to pray or to bury our dead: when the sun has clearly started to rise until it is fully risen, when it is directly overhead at midday until it has passed its zenith, and when the sun starts to set until it has fully set.”

Jazzak-Allah Khair!:blackhijab:

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
I need some clarification. From what i understand, salat is obligatory 5 times a day, therefore there is no qada'. As soon as you wake up from sleep (if you wakes up late & miss the time), immediately perform your prayer, don't wait a single minute. Is that true ?

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh...

You read my quote on page 1 to shaz...

u can do make up prayers any time..even during prohibited times....

I hope this is clear...that is the stand of majority scholars...

Nice to meet u....

LoveIslam

ALLAH FORGIVE US
asslamualaykum brother islamicfajr
jazzak khair for sharing
i was little confused about praying 2 sunnah after 2 fard of fajr now it is clear:blackhijab:
thanks once again

Maria Norway

As-salamu Alaikum!!!

Hope all are well in health and iman. Just one question.. I got to Uni all day and there's a prayer room there, but was told it was just for the men..as it would be to risky for a woman to pray in case any men walked in...so the qestion is..I don't have anywhere to pray Zuhr and somtimes Asr..is it ok to wait until I get home to pray them?

I suppose this would be the same for someone who is working and have nowhere to pray..

Thank you, Inshallah

Salams :hijabi:

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Wa Alaykum Assalam

Dear All..

1st of All..thanks to brother alkathiri for his replies on the question above..All his replies is correct..Alhamdulillah..

oH i ALmOsT fOrGoT. cAn SoMe KinD BrOtHeR oR sIsTeR jUsT gIvE mE a QiUcK aNsWeR pLeAse?!!

brother , u didn't ask any Question......i'm waitting urQuestions ..insha`Allah u 'll get the answer..:)

.. I got to Uni all day and there's a prayer room there, but was told it was just for the men..as it would be to risky for a woman to pray in case any men walked in...so the qestion is..I don't have anywhere to pray Zuhr and somtimes Asr..is it ok to wait until I get home to pray them?

I suppose this would be the same for someone who is working and have nowhere to pray..

sister in islam,

u can pray in any corner if u wear Correct Hijab..n as u know there's no Excuse in Neglecting prayer in it's 1st time..

plz keep in ur mind that the earth has been made pure and a mosque [place of worship] for us..

Allaah favoured His Messenger Muhammad over the other Prophets in six ways, as the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“I have been favoured above the other Prophets in six ways: I have been given the ability of concise speech; I have been supported with fear [in the hearts of my enemies]; war booty has been made permissible for me; the earth has been made pure and a mosque [place of worship] for me; I have been sent to all of mankind; and I am the seal of the Prophets.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 523)
then i didn't find any Excuse in Delaying the payer

<wasalam>

Maria Norway

Alhamdulilah thank you.

So, I can pray anywhere? But I was told I, as a female, cannot pray infront of men who are not my husband or bloodrelative...and if they do see me and they think bad thoughts the sin is on me to...

So, to pray on time...shall I find somewhere else to pray or pray in the allocated prayer room...??

Cheers

Salam

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Wa Alaykum Assalam

Dear All..

1st of All..thanks to brother alkathiri for his replies on the question above..All his replies is correct..Alhamdulillah..

brother , u didn't ask any Question......i'm waitting urQuestions ..insha`Allah u 'll get the answer..:)

sister in islam,

u can pray in any corner if u wear Correct Hijab..n as u know there's no Excuse in Neglecting prayer in it's 1st time..

plz keep in ur mind that the earth has been made pure and a mosque [place of worship] for us..

Allaah favoured His Messenger Muhammad over the other Prophets in six ways, as the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“I have been favoured above the other Prophets in six ways: I have been given the ability of concise speech; I have been supported with fear [in the hearts of my enemies]; war booty has been made permissible for me; the earth has been made pure and a mosque [place of worship] for me; I have been sent to all of mankind; and I am the seal of the Prophets.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 523)
then i didn't find any Excuse in Delaying the payer

<wasalam>
I was talking about the first post. And you're right brother, I wasn't really asking a question; I just needed a quick answer about Salat.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Alhamdulilah thank you.

So, I can pray anywhere? But I was told I, as a female, cannot pray infront of men who are not my husband or bloodrelative...and if they do see me and they think bad thoughts the sin is on me to...

So, to pray on time...shall I find somewhere else to pray or pray in the allocated prayer room...??

Cheers

Salam

Assalam alaykum

sister in islam,

1st of All : as u know the woman shouldn't pary infront of men,,

but u can pary behind the men

also i told u the earth has been made pure and a mosque [place of worship] for us..refer to Hadeeth..

i.e u can find any place n pray on it even on Dust..it's ok..

<wasalam>

aseel

As-salamu Alaikum!!!

Hope all are well in health and iman. Just one question.. I got to Uni all day and there's a prayer room there, but was told it was just for the men..as it would be to risky for a woman to pray in case any men walked in...so the qestion is..I don't have anywhere to pray Zuhr and somtimes Asr..is it ok to wait until I get home to pray them?

Thank you, Inshallah

Salams :hijabi:

assalamu 3alaykum,

I had the same probleme except my uni has no prayer room for men or women! But i sometimes have days from 8h in the morning to 8h at night so i have to do most of my prayers at uni!
I find a little spot, mostley I take a whole empty classroom for myself! If prayer time is during class, i wait for the next little break(we get one every hour) and then go to pray ,i`m often late getting back to my class but i make myself calm down breath slowly and take my time for prayer! (i always feel better after! gives me a little spring in my step!)
I was only walked in on once and the man panicked and ran out!
I do not know if i did the right thing, but i calmly paused in my prayer coverd my face and put my ands up my sleeves. once he had gone made intention in my heart and continued.

So do not be affraid it`s scary at first but you will feel so so good to offer salat on time !

BGfromGB

As a non muslim and a newcomer to this site, I cannot believe all these comments about when and when not to pray. Prayer is a personal relationship with YHWh. G-d is available 24/24/7. Period. He wants nothing more than devotion to him. Most of what is said above is based on man made perceptions and not Koranic.