Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door

helpinghumanity

Assalamo alaikum wa rahmatullah

"Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" was aired on CNN on Sunday, March 27 at 8 p.m. ET.

"Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" examines a city in middle Tennessee that is torn apart by fear and suspicion as residents fight to block the construction of a large Islamic center. From New York to California, since Sept. 11, 2001, fears of radical Islam, terrorism and "Sharia law" have fueled opposition to mosque projects and launched a national debate around religious freedom protections. Murfreesboro, Tennessee has just over 100,000 people, 140+ churches, and one mosque. For decades, Muslims have lived and prayed in Murfreesboro without incident, but last May, when the Muslim community gained county approval to build a new 52,000 square foot Islamic center in town, hundreds of Murfreesboro residents took to the streets in protest. CNN anchor and special correspondent Soledad O'Brien chronicles the dramatic fight to block the mosque project in Murfreesboro and the fight over religious freedom; a fight that would ultimately include protests, vandalism, arson and an explosive lawsuit that would involve the U.S. Department of Justice.

[yt]gRlqz3e9OrA[/yt]

BrotherMatthew

Land of the free
:wasalam:

Salam. Thanks for sharing.

Parts of this video are really sad, seeing the hatred towards Islam for no reason.

Jazaka Allaah hu khairann

Inshallaah this mosque will be built

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum
im looking at the video right now, and its very sad to see people have so much hate SubhanAllah , May Allah (swt) make it easy on us - ameen

abdul-aziz

:salam2:

the poster of the video removed embedding so you might want to add a link.

also, I kinda of wished you hadn't posted this video. Not because anything other than how saddened I felt after viewing it.

And I was contemplating of moving to Tennessee. Not because of the people, but because the weather is so nice there year long.

but there is good out of this video, in sha Allah, I will make much duaa for these Muslims.

Another thing I noticed, there is blame on the Muslims too; with what I have taken from the video. You just can't close yourself from the society, you need to interact. Not making dawaa either, just plain down to earth interaction. How are you "", little more small talk, and community participation. The dawaa will come indirectly, just as people get to know you and ask a question here or there. Especially with community leaders and other religious people.

The prophet, PBUH would visit and eat with the people of the book. He would be kind and caring for them even if they would ridicule him. In fact, he was given food from a Jewish woman which had poison, but the severe affects of it lasted for a few days. and the hadith of reciting last 3 surat, every night, was mentioned by the prophet, PBUH, as our protection from unknown evils.

:wasalam:

Shak78

Brother Aziz, I used to live in Tennessee and it is a great place to live. I attended the University of Tenn-Chattanooga and never had a problem with anyone knowing I was a Muslim. While some of the smaller towns in Tenn are a bit conservative and more likely to be hostile towards Islam not all are like that. I miss living in Tenn and hope one day to return to Chattanooga with my family.

auroran

These people are in urgent need of da'wah. I can't believe one of them thinks all of us Muslims are the same. And one of the ladies just admitted that the country was founded by two gods, LOL!!!

Jazak Allahu khair.

aisha16

Saalam,

I was watching this with my family the other day..such blatant ignorance and hate....THere needs to some serious dawah made to these peeps...because things will just get worse...

for example one woman who is against the building of the center-when asked if she knew any Muslim person said yes my sister lived in Saudi and my brother in Iran. yet upon further questioning of meeting the Muslims who plan to build and attend the center-she said NO she hasn't met them because they haven't made an effort to know her neither has she..so I think they need to take initiative to educate the community on Islam/Muslims.

Perseveranze

"Allah will not leave the believers in the state in which you are now, until He distinguished the wicked from the good." [Soorah al-Imran (3): 179]

Mairo

Maryama
Asalaamu alaikum,

I am glad you have posted about this program. I also watched it on Sunday and found it very thought provoking program. I think it is an important story and I am glad they are doing a segment about it.

It is very true that Muslims in America are often surrounded by a type of fear and hatred in the community at large. Certainly this is not on the part of all members of society (as was nicely demonstrated by some of the members who were called to testify in court and did not say anything to demean the Muslims or the religion of Islam, and also those in the community who ralied to support tolerance and the protection of freedom to practice religion, for example).

But this fear/hatred is on the part of a significant number of individuals who happen to be outspoken against Muslims, and are often quite ignorant about Islam. Many of these people have no understanding whatsoever about what the religion of Islam really is, even to the point of beleiving that the Muslims worship a completely different God altogether, among other incorrect assumptions.

Many are also responding to the fact that America/Americans have been targeted by some Muslims in attacks and anti-American sentiments are expressed by many in the Muslim world, etc. Which is often compounded by propegation of intentionally overly negative stories by the media, highlighting bad behaviors of some Muslims which is usually due to negative cultural beliefs or ignorance within the Muslim community, and presenting this as Islam.

Some are also responding to what they have been told by other members of the clergy/Christians/Jews/etc, who intentionally spread incorrect information about Islam to divert people from the faith or cause them to form a bad opinion about Islam from the get go.

I am an American and I can attest to the fact that due to all of these, and potentially other factors as well, one grows up in this society with a general knee-jerk reaction that Muslims/Islam is something to be afraid of. I was a kid during the time of the Iran hostages, the Iran/Iraq war, seeing images of the Ayatollah, when there were constant plane hijackings and bombings attempts in NYC and other places, and these news stories had a direct impact on my psyche. Islam was seemingly portrayed, and is still portrayed to a large extent these days, as a violent, oppressive, intolerant, backwards, vindictive religion, completely foreign to the way of life in the US. Certain words, like Shariah Law, Hijab, or even just Muslim or Allah Akbar would bring up negative feelings & connotations.

When I completed university and joined the Peace Corps I found out my assignment was to be in Niger, Africa - a Muslim country. My initial reaction was along the lines of - was this going to be dangerous for me as a woman? How would I be treated? Would the people there hate me and would I feel oppressed? However, I was still quite eager and interested to go there, and was looking forward to having the chance to learn more about Islam among other things. I even brought an English translation of the Quran with me. But still, those initial questions remained . . .

As it turns out, I ended up finding the fears and reservations I had about Muslims and Islam were completely unfounded. I was fortunate to live among some people who were sincere adherants to Islam, and I was fully welcomed and always treated with the utmost respect. I learned so much from their excellent character and their ways of interacting with others in such a positive and beneficial way. I also learned about Muhammad and the pilars of Islam, even fasting during Ramadan and learning all of the prayers. Even though it would not be until years later that I would embrace Islam as my own religion, I came away from the experience with the opinion that Islam was the best religion in the world. I also formed a great appreciation for the fact that the Islam I saw in practice and the Muslims I had the opportunity to live with were nothing like what was presented to me previously.

It can be very difficult for an American revert to Islam, as they often have to deal with a very deep rejection and sometimes hatred from Americans in their own culture or family, as well as sometimes being also being rejected by Arabic/Muslim community where some feel that the religion is supposed to be for them, so who are you, the "American enemy", to become a Muslim?

When it comes to performing more effective dawah, I think it is important for Muslims to keep in mind how little the average American really knows about Islam, and that often what they do know is twisted or innacurate information. How best to bridge this divide that exists?

I think part of what can be effective is just being a good example with your life, being like a "model citizen" who really embodies the great Islamic characteristics. It often happens that a person who has had no prior interaction with any Muslim will have a huge change of opinion about Islam when they meet someone who is Muslim and exhibits excellent character, generosity, politeness, etc.

Part of it also is in providing more information about what the foundations of Islam are, educating people about the prophets in Islam, which are the same as those in the Abrahamic tradition. When someone has an incorrect assumption, or is propogating incorrect information about Islam or what Muslims believe, we need to do what we can to correct that information.

I think what can also be very effective is to demonstrate to an American the things that are found in much of the U.S. legal system and foundations of the government, such as what is found in the Constitution, has in common with Islam. The fact that Islam actually protects human rights (and the rights of all creatures), including freedom to practice religion, is often met with surprise. I think books such as the one titled "What's Right with Islam is What's Right with America" can be quite effective in this regard.

I particularly liked what the Imam of the mosque commented on regarding the continued pursuit of the right to build the mosque in the courts. That he was not going to give up, because the laws in the U.S. will always support the right to build the mosque as the Constitution protects the right of freedom of religion (and even the labor laws back this up requiring employers not to discriminate on the basis of religion and must provide employees with what they need to practice their faith, as well as the fact that hate crimes such as the attempted arson are to be prosecuted by the police, etc). So in pursuing this court case he will end up winning - not only with the right to build the mosque and practice Islam in the U.S. But also by demonstrating that the Constitution supports Islam fully, and so it will be as though he has gained the Constitution as well! Allahu Akbar

It is really a struggle to try to combat the preconceptions based on ignorance that exists in all levels, and the fact remains that no matter how good our attempts at dawah are there will always remain those who will keep the stance of being opposed to Islam. We see numerous examples of that in the Quran and during the time of the prophet, peace & blessings of Allah be upon him.

I apologize for such a long response, but I really feel this is an important subject to consider. It will help for us all to reflect on what is the current situation, what are the causes for it, and how we can better spread the truth about Islam in the world. Also, for Muslims who live in the U.S., to consider what we can do to protect and guard our Iman and our own selves, as it can be truly difficult to live in this environment, even though we can be sure our rights will be protected under the laws currently established in the country.

May Allah protect and guide us all

Wasalaam

justoneofmillion

Asalaamu alaikum,

I am glad you have posted about this program. I also watched it on Sunday and found it very thought provoking program. I think it is an important story and I am glad they are doing a segment about it.

It is very true that Muslims in America are often surrounded by a type of fear and hatred in the community at large. Certainly this is not on the part of all members of society (as was nicely demonstrated by some of the members who were called to testify in court and did not say anything to demean the Muslims or the religion of Islam, and also those in the community who ralied to support tolerance and the protection of freedom to practice religion, for example).

But this fear/hatred is on the part of a significant number of individuals who happen to be outspoken against Muslims, and are often quite ignorant about Islam. Many of these people have understanding whatsoever about what the religion of Islam really is, even to the point of beleiving that the Muslims worship a completely different God altogether, among other incorrect assumptions.

Many are also responding to the fact that America/Americans have been targeted by some Muslims in attacks and anti-American sentiments are expressed by many in the Muslim world, etc. Which is often compounded by propegation of intentionally overly negative stories by the media, highlighting bad behaviors of some Muslims which is usually due to negative cultural beliefs or ignorance within the Muslim community, and presenting this as Islam.

Some are also responding to what they have been told by other members of the clergy/Christians/Jews/etc, who intentionally spread incorrect information about Islam to divert people from the faith or cause them to form a bad opinion about Islam from the get go.

I am an American and I can attest to the fact that due to all of these, and potentially other factors as well, one grows up in this society with a general knee-jerk reaction that Muslims/Islam is something to be afraid of. I was a kid during the time of the Iran hostages, the Iran/Iraq war, seeing images of the Ayatollah, when there were constant plane hijackings and bombings attempts in NYC and other places, and these news stories had a direct impact on my psyche. Islam was seemingly portrayed, and is still portrayed to a large extent these days, as a violent, oppressive, intolerant, backwards, vindictive religion, completely foreign to the way of life in the US. Certain words, like Shariah Law, Hijab, or even just Muslim or Allah Akbar would bring up negative feelings & connotations

When I completed college and joined the Peace Corps I found out my assignment was to be in Niger, Africa - a Muslim country. My initial reaction was along the lines of - was this going to be dangerous for me as a woman? How would I be treated? Would the people there hate me and would I feel oppressed? However, I was still quite eager and interested to go there, and was looking forward to having the chance to learn more about Islam among other things. I even brought an English translation of the Quran with me. But still, those initial questions remained . . .

As it turns out, I ended up finding the fears and reservations I had about Muslims and Islam were completely unfounded. I was fortunate to live among some people who were sincere adherants to Islam, and I was fully welcomed and always treated with the utmost respect. I learned so much from their excellent character and their ways of interacting with others in such a positive and beneficial way. I also learned about Muhammad and the pilars of Islam, even fasting during Ramadan and learning all of the prayers. Even though it would not be until years later that I would embrace Islam as my own religion, I came away from the experience with the opinion that Islam was the best religion in the world. I also formed a great appreciation for the fact that the Islam I saw in practice and the Muslims I had the opportunity to live with were nothing like what was presented to me previously.

It can be very difficult for an American revert to Islam, as they often have to deal with a very deep rejection and sometimes hatred from Americans in their own culture or family, as well as sometimes being also being rejected by Arabic/Muslim community where some feel that the religion is supposed to be for them, so who are you, the " American enemy", to become a Muslim?

When it comes to performing more effective dawah, I think it is important for Muslims to keep in mind how little the average American really knows about Islam, and that often what they do know is twisted or innacurate information. How best to bridge this divide that exists?

I think part of what can be effective is just being a good example with your life, being like a "model citizen" who really embodies the great Islamic characteristics. It often happens that a person who has had no prior interaction with any Muslim will have a huge change of opinion about Islam when they meet someone who is Muslim and exhibits excellent character, generosity, politeness, etc.

Part of it also is in providing more information about what the foundations of Islam are, educating people about the prophets in Islam, which are the same as those in the Abrahamic tradition. When someone has an incorrect assumption, or is propogating incorrect information about Islam or what Muslims believe, we need to do what we can to correct that information.

I think what can also be very effective is to demonstrate to an American the things that are found in much of the U.S. legal system and foundations of the government, such as what is found in the Constitution, has in common with Islam. The fact that Islam actually protects human rights, including freedom to practice religion, is often met with surprise. I think books such as the one titled "What's Right with Islam is What's Right with America" can be quite effective in this regard.

I particularly liked what the Imam of the mosque commented on regarding the continued pursuit of the right to build the mosque in the courts. That he was not going to give up, because the laws in the U.S. will always support the right to build the mosque as the Constitution protects the right of freedom of religion (and even the labor laws back this up requiring employers not to discriminate on the basis of religion and must provide employees with what they need to practice their faith, as well as the fact that hate crimes such as the attempted arson are to be prosecuted by the police, etc). So in pursuing this court case he will end up winning - not only with the right to build the mosque and practice Islam in the U.S. But also by demonstrating that the Constitution supports Islam fully, and so it will be as though he has gained the Constitution as well! Allahu Akbar

It is really a struggle to try to combat the preconceptions based on ignorance that exist in all levels, and the fact remains that no matter how good our attempts at dawah are there will always remain those who will keep the stance of being opposed to Islam. We seem numerous examples of that in the Quran and during the time of the prophet, peace & blessings of Allah be upon him.

I apologize for such a long response, but I really feel this is an important subject to consider. It will help for us all to reflect on what is the current situation, what are the causes for it, and how we can better spread the truth about Islam in the world. Also, for Muslims who live in the U.S., to consider what we can do to protect and guard our Iman and our own selves, as it can be truly difficult to live in this environment, even though we can be sure our rights will be protected under the laws currently established in the country.

May Allah protect and guide us all

Wasalaam

:salam2:Mashallah!Evntough I decided to stop posting on TTI becaue I felt that brother Aiman has been treated unkindly and ujustlyto say the least..etc.I could not resist this insightfull post..

Sister Mairo please do allow me to state the following, Young Muslims both men and female need the experience and Inspiration of believers like you.You are probably one of the very few I have encountered on this site along with Appa of course that I find a hard time disagreeing with,and God knows am a stubborn fella..

Both your words seem like poured out of deep dug faith,they are intense,they make sense,they are blatantly sincere and furiously passionate.I read,I learn and feel proud to know there are Muslims like both of you who ascribe to the same blessed deen I profess.May Allah swt make of you and yours the best examples and ambassadors of his faith

Wassalamu Aleikum

Mairo

Maryama
:salam2:Mashallah!Evntough I decided to stop posting on TTI becaue I felt that brother Aiman has been treated unkindly and ujustlyto say the least..etc.I could not resist this insightfull post..

Sister Mairo please do allow me to state the following, Young Muslims both men and female need the experience and Inspiration of believers like you.You are probably one of the very few I have encountered on this site along with Appa of course that I find a hard time disagreeing with,and God knows am a stubborn fella..

Both your words seem like poured out of deep dug faith,they are intense,they make sense,they are blatantly sincere and furiously passionate.I read,I learn and feel proud to know there are Muslims like both of you who ascribe to the same blessed deen I profess.May Allah swt make of you and yours the best examples and ambassadors of his faith

Wassalamu Aleikum

Assalamu aliekum akhi Just One: Thank you so very much for your post - that really made my day! It means a lot to be appreciated and to have a brother in faith like you, who I only have the greatest respect for.

I have also been saddened so much that akhi Ayman was banned, I would have never imagined that could be possible. I didn't think I would post on TTI again either, but seems I just can't help myself : ) In spite of everything I still have a love and appreciation for this site. I only hope that it will be possible for the moderators to resolve their issues with brother Ayman and cancel the ban, but we shall see

Thanks again for your words of kindness, wishing the same for you.

Wasalaam

Ibn Uthaymin

Assalamu aliekum akhi Just One: Thank you so very much for your post - that really made my day! It means a lot to be appreciated and to have a brother in faith like you, who I only have the greatest respect for.

I have also been saddened so much that akhi Ayman was banned, I would have never imagined that could be possible. I didn't think I would post on TTI again either, but seems I just can't help myself : ) In spite of everything I still have a love and appreciation for this site. I only hope that it will be possible for the moderators to resolve their issues with brother Ayman and cancel the ban, but we shall see

Thanks again for your words of kindness, wishing the same for you.

Wasalaam

Ayman got banned -___-