Video Games?

Peaceful661

Ok as we know that making pictures of living things is Haraam and even where i live all the Mufti's have given the Fatwa that even making videos is haram whether they be cartoons or real people.

So i was thinking about all the hype of these video games nowadays like PS3, Xbox 360 etc. Can we play games on them because i've heard a scholar on PeaceTV saying that it is fine playing video games for children and for recreation. If pictures of living things is Haraam then we could only play games that have no living things like car games etc.

I'd like to hear from different scholars about this, it would be great if people could quote sayings of scholars regarding video games.

As far as i think it is Haraam.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
:salam2:

For me it is not haram to play video games, watch TV, do sport till i fulfill my duties towards Allah SWT and people surrounding me, and for me also taking pictures are not haram. so it depends from person to person and there is iftilaf on the issue of pics and on tv among scholars..

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Dear brother I think that playing video games is not haram, other wise watching Tv or useing computer is haram as well.Taking pictures of live beings from human hand is clearly haram Alhamdulillah, but I think it does not refear on taking pictures by camera because on that way you are capturing only what Allah has already created, while in taking pictures with hand you create something new, Astagfirullah, which is not alowed in Islaam. And Allah subahn we teala know the best.

May Allah bless you

:wasalam:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

We should Fear Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) upon giving our own opinion in relation to a subject if we are doubtful whether it is correct or not.

Firstly, the answer below addresses playing video games and it contains a link to another beneficial answer:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2898

Secondly, the post below answers the point in relation to pictures:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=327684&postcount=2

Thirdly, the link below is in relation to television:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50318

Finally, the Fatawa should make it more clearer,

Question

Some people have told us that pictures are unlawful, and that the angels don't enter a house that has pictures in it. Is this true? And by pictures, do we mean pictures of human beings or animals? Does this prohibition include identity photos and pictures on paper currency? If the prohibition encompasses all of the above, then what can we do to practically remove all pictures from our homes?

Answer

Yes, pictures of all creatures, be they humans or animals, are unlawful, whether they are in the form of a sculpture or in the form of drawings of paper, whether they are stitching in clothes or photographs. Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a picture - this is substantiated by many authentic hadeeths. Pictures are permitted, though for necessity. For example, pictures of criminals are permitted, so as to help apprehend them. Passport and identity photos are permitted as well, and we hope that these items do not prevent the angels from entering our homes due to the necessity to have them. And from Allah Almighty do we seek help.

Included in this prohibition are those pictures that some people take lightly, such as pictures on a bed sheet or a pillow. Among the hadeeths including this; the Prophet :saw: said,

"Indeed, the makes of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Judgement, and it will be said to them: Make alive that which you have created."

(Al-Bukhari, no. 5957)

Furthermore, Abu Juhayfah, may Allah be pleased with him, related that the Prophet :saw: cursed the person who consumes Riba (interest and usury) and he cursed the one who makes pictures

The Permanent Committee

(Fatawa Islamiyah)

Wa-alaykum-us-Salaam.