Vienna naming a square after a muslim

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters!

I thought you would like to read the following which i quoted from www.islamtoday.com:

19 April 2008

The Austrian capital has named one of its squares as Muhammad Asad Square as part of its two-day programme on European Year of Intercultural Dialogue focussing on Islam and its relationship with Europe.

The programme commemorated the life and work of Mr Asad, described as a great Austrian visionary, who earned international recognition by building bridges between religions.

Mr Asad, born Leopold Weiss, was a Jew who converted to Islam and translated the Holy Quran into English, says a media release of the organisers.

University Professor Talal Asad (Muhammad Asad's son) and Anas Schakfeh, president of the Islamic Community of Austria, spoke on the occasion of the inauguration of Muhammad Asad Square, the first square in Vienna to be named after a Muslim.

The square was inaugurated at a ceremony outside the main entrance of the United Nations headquarters in Vienna.

A media release of the organisers said “Muhammad Asad Platz” (Square) is the first traffic area to be named after a Muslim not only in Austria, but in Western Europe.

Mayor of Vienna Michael Haup hosted a reception in the Senate Chamber of the Vienna City Hall, followed by the screening of a film "The Road to Makkah: the Journey of Muhammad Asad". The film looks at today's relations between Islam and the West from a new point of view. The journey starts in Lviv and leads to Vienna, Berlin, Palestine, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, the US and Spain.

In his speech, Mayor Haup emphasised on Asad’s message of living together in peace. "The living together of people of different religious and cultural backgrounds in Vienna is exemplary. The commemoration of Muhammad Asad has truly enriched our city."

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
salam,
wow that's nice. i have never heard of that man before. insha allah i would do some research about him.
thank you for posting this:)
salam,

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
salam,
wow that's nice. i have never heard of that man before. insha allah i would do some research about him.
thank you for posting this:)
salam,

Jazakallah khair.
You can find some of his interviews on youtube. He was a very knowledgeable person.

He travelled the world, specially the islamic world of his time, spoke many languages and was a writer.

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
Jazakallah khair.
You can find some of his interviews on youtube. He was a very knowledgeable person.

He travelled the world, specially the islamic world of his time, spoke many languages and was a writer.

masha allah, thank you brother.