Want to Convert but now cannot.

bahijah

I live in the United States and I was raised a Pentecostal Christian. However I have been studying Islam. I have been learning prayers and reading about Islam. I have been praying alot about Islam. I have begun to dress modestly and have invested money in modest clothing even hijabs though I have not worn them publically. Yesterday, I bought my first Holy Qur'an. I was nearly ready to take Shahada.

Then today, I read online that if I convert and my husband does not then we are considered divorced! http://www.islamicvoice.com/september.2001/dialogue.htm

I am married to a good man and we have four children. He is a good provider and good to our children. We have been married 12 years! His close friend and mentor (now deceased) was a Muslim and he has other Muslim friends, but he has not expressed any interest in converting. The only thing about Islam that I've heard him say is that when he went to his friend's funeral it was the most beautiful thing he'd seen. He also liked how quickly and respectfully they handled his body at death. My husband does not eat pork and therefore he does not allow anyone in our family to eat it, and we have no problem submitting to that. He learned alot of good things from his Muslim friend, but he never converted.

My husband is a strong believer in God, but he was raised Christian and I do not know if he would consider converting. I feel like I am stuck in the middle of choosing Allah (swt) or choosing to break up my very happy and stable family.

Is there any other way? Has anyone been through this? Why is it this way toward women but not toward men? I thought by choosing Islam, I was choosing a faith, but now I feel as if it wil be a burden to us, and I do not think that Allah (swt) would burden us. Please help me understand. Also forgive me if something I wrote was inappropriate or in the wrong place. Thank you.:girl3:

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Hello,

Welcome to the site and may Allaah swt reward you for realizing that Islaam is the one true religion.

No doubt that a Muslim woman is not allowed to be married to a non-Muslim man. I advise you to take the time to sit and talk and tell him about your plans of embracing Islaam and the conditions regarding marriage. If he does not want to accept Islaam after inviting him, then sister think which is more important - Your salvation which will bring you good in the hereafter or a husband in this temporary world? I pray that Allaah swt guide your husband and make it easier for both of you AMEEN.

Why is it not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a kaafir man

Question:
It is permissible for Muslim men to marry women who are not Muslim, so why are Muslim women not permitted to marry men who follow a religion other than Islam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a woman from among the People of the Book, a Jewish or Christian woman, but not a woman from any other kaafir religion, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Made lawful to you this day are At-Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage)…”

[al-Maa’idah 5:5]

This refers to chaste women from among the People of the Book, not immoral women. It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a mushrik who is not a Muslim, no matter what his religion is. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire…”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

And because Islam should prevail and not be prevailed over, as is stated in the religion of Islam.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr

It is known that the man is the stronger party and the one who dominates the lives of the family, his wife and children. So it is not wise for a Muslim woman to marry a kaafir man who will dominate her life and the life of her children, the consequences of which will be very serious, as there is the possibility that he may divert her from her religion and raise the children in his own religion.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam,

I hope you are well together with your family. I strongly feel from the way you have described your husband is that Inshallah (God Willing) if you were to talk to him about Islam, Allah knows best but perhaps one day he may accept Islam.

I'm not sure if you have heard of Sheikh Yusuf Estes or not but he was a former Christian Minister that was in a situation where he wanted to convert to Islam but didn't know how to explain this to his wife and his wife to wanted to convert to Islam but didn't know how to explain it to him, however she was ready to divorce him as she knew deep down she could not be with a Christian man if she was to accept Islam.The reality of it all, was that Allah had planned for them both to enter into Islam.

I pray for you both that you will soon Inshallah become muslims.

Salam

Salaam,

First off, welcome to the global family. Inshallah (God willing) your time will be beneficial and rewarding at TTI.

I must say you are not in an easy position. Having been married for 12 years and 4 kids. May Allah swt bring ease to you and your family. You have been given a light and the decisions rests solely between you and God.

Here are some of my humble words of advice:

Encourage your husband to read more about Islam (i.e. Quran), clear his misconceptions, attend Islamic lectures together, attend a masjid, speak to an Imam, invite your Muslims friends over or go to there place, explain your emotions and feelings - after all that is what marriage is all about, and even explain the logical reasonings embedded in Islam rather than accepting a blind faith - encourage him to ask as many questions as he has.

The strongest weapon a Muslim has is Dua (supplication) prayers. Ask God to help you make the right decisions and make your journey fruitful.

"On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray:) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith" (2:286)

As far as Muslim women not allowed to marry non-Muslim men - well there are infinte pearls and wisdoms behind what Allah swt has ordained for us, like the sister has mentioned. Generally, a wife follows her husbands footsteps and way of life whether we like it or not. Both men and women are created uniquely and each benefits from one another.

May Allah swt bring ease and tranquility to your family. I hope I've been a help to you. I will pray for you dear.

Sincerely,
TheHumbleWun

BGfromGB

Christian or Islam.

I live in the United States and I was raised a Pentecostal Christian. However I have been studying Islam. I have been learning prayers and reading about Islam. I have been praying alot about Islam. I have begun to dress modestly and have invested money in modest clothing even hijabs though I have not worn them publically. Yesterday, I bought my first Holy Qur'an. I was nearly ready to take Shahada.

Then today, I read online that if I convert and my husband does not then we are considered divorced! http://www.islamicvoice.com/september.2001/dialogue.htm

I am married to a good man and we have four children. He is a good provider and good to our children. We have been married 12 years! His close friend and mentor (now deceased) was a Muslim and he has other Muslim friends, but he has not expressed any interest in converting. The only thing about Islam that I've heard him say is that when he went to his friend's funeral it was the most beautiful thing he'd seen. He also liked how quickly and respectfully they handled his body at death. My husband does not eat pork and therefore he does not allow anyone in our family to eat it, and we have no problem submitting to that. He learned alot of good things from his Muslim friend, but he never converted.

My husband is a strong believer in God, but he was raised Christian and I do not know if he would consider converting. I feel like I am stuck in the middle of choosing Allah (swt) or choosing to break up my very happy and stable family.

Is there any other way? Has anyone been through this? Why is it this way toward women but not toward men? I thought by choosing Islam, I was choosing a faith, but now I feel as if it wil be a burden to us, and I do not think that Allah (swt) would burden us. Please help me understand. Also forgive me if something I wrote was inappropriate or in the wrong place. Thank you.:girl3:
Hi there. I too was brought up and raised a "christian". But I found that there was something seriously amiss with christianity. So I decided to study Islam and other faiths. I still am doing this. I have now taken to study the Scriptures and The Qur'an in depth. The truth will be found in HIS written words.

My answer to your dilemma is take each of these 2 books and if you love God passionately, you will be motivated to carry out such in depth studies. But wht IS important is your desire to enter into a personal relationship with the Almighty and ask HIM for guidance by constantly praying to HIM. Only YOU can do that. No body else. Remember, God is there for you. He will never sorsake you as long as you are obedient to HIM.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Salamu alaikum!

If you look at the following verse from Quran, you can see that your husband should attract sympathy from islamic circles and should not be abandoned as his heart seems to be inclined to the truth.

"Alms are only for the poor and the needy, and the officials (appointed) over them, and those whose hearts are made to incline (to truth) and the (ransoming of) captives and those in debts and in the way of Allah and the wayfarer; an ordinance from Allah; and Allah is knowing, Wise." 9:60

By no means do I encourage you to do other than what Allah swt orders us to do (may Allah swt forgive me if i even suggest so), but I can see that there must be a way to solve your situation in the best possible manner.

I have two points to mention: 1, you need an expert advice
2, dont challenge your husband as he is already in a desirable situation to accept Islam. I think, by putting him in a suddenly difficult situation, he may not react positively.

Allah swt says: " Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and goodly exhortation, and have disputations with them in the best manner; surely your Lord best knows those who go astray from His path, and He knows best those who follow the right way." 16:125

and

"O you who believe! save yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel is men and stones; over it are angels stern and strong, they do not disobey Allah in what He commands them, and do as they are commanded." 66:6

The best idea would be to discuss it openly with him in the nicest and positive manner.
The most imporatant of all is to save ourselves from burning fire and worship only Allah swt as life of this world is very short and temporary.

Allah swt knows best

May the help of Allah swt be with you. Ameen

Wassalam

amira87

I love Allah
SaLaMz

Hey hun I totally understand this chaotic situation that you are going through. I know that it is a very difficult situation to overtake. Just remember.....if you feel Islam strongly inside your heart and believe in Allah and his messenger.....than you are a true believer. Pray to Alllah and ask him to Guide you sister and ask Allah to guide your husband to Islam. Dua.......makes a huge difference, especially when it comes from your heart. I will make dua for you and just like in islam........we are always their for those who are in need whether they are muslim or not. Be strong sis and keep studying Islam because the way it seems to me is that you are definitely on Allah's straight path. Inshallah....Allah Karim(may allah protect you). And yes i agree with everyone above....you should tell him what is in your heart and you should teach him about islam inshallah. Allah karim

saif

Dear sister,

I am copy-pasting here some questions and answers from a site, which I trust. Their opinions are sometimes not identical with the classical schools of law but they remain within the bounds of Quran and sunnah. The source site is:

http://www.understanding-islam.com

the copied Q&As begin here:

Question:

I am seriously considering conversion to the Muslim faith. My husband is aware of this and doesn't want me to, but I feel that I must. He has already proclaimed his dislike for Muslims. He also doesn't want me to include my 6-year old son in the decision. My question is: Should I remain married to him, if and when I convert?

Answer:

Your question needs to be considered from two separate standpoints. Firstly, whether the Islamic Shari`ah (i.e. the Law) allows you to remain married with your husband, who ascribes to a faith different from Islam; and secondly, whether it is practically possible for you to remain married to your husband.

As far as the directives of the Islamic Shari`ah are concerned, they do not expressly require you to seek separation from your husband. In other words, the Islamic Shari`ah is silent about the status of an existing marriage after the wife converts to Islam. In view of this silence of the Shari`ah, there seems to be no ground to consider such a marriage as automatically repealed or prohibited to continue. Thus, in my opinion, the Islamic Shari`ah does not require you to seek separation from your husband.

As far as the second standpoint is concerned, a decision in this regard has to be made by the individual concerned. You will yourself have to decide whether it is possible for you to live a comfortable life and maintain a congenial atmosphere in the house, while living as family. The response of your husband, which you have mentioned in your question, could be an initial emotional reaction to your decision, which might subside in time. If you feel that your husband's state of mind has changed considerably to allow you maintain a healthy atmosphere in your home, you may continue living with him. However, if, on the contrary, you feel that his negative bent toward your decision has only increased in intensity over time and that living with him, you are not allowed the freedom of practicing that which you hold to be true, then you may be left with no other option but to seek separation from your husband.

May God guide us to the path of His liking.

16th July 2000

Question/Comments:

While answering a Question, you said, "As far as the directives of the Islamic Shari`ah are concerned, they do not expressly require of you to seek separation from your husband. In other words, the Islamic Shari`ah is silent about the status of an existing marriage after the wife converts to Islam. In view of this silence of the Shari`ah, there seems to be no ground to consider such a marriage as automatically repealed or prohibited to continue. Thus, in my opinion, the Islamic Shari`ah does not require you to seek separation from your husband."

But one scholar has said in a similar situation:

"When you accepted Islam, your marriage with your non-Muslim wife has terminated then. There is no question of divorce."

What are the basis on which this scholar has given this opinion; please elaborate. I think the problem of the woman is more sensitive than that of the man. I want clarity about it because a Japanese lady is facing such a situation.

Jazakallah Khair

Answer:

The cited difference of opinion is actually the result of a difference of opinion regarding two things:

Firstly, the cited author apparently holds marriage between a Muslim and a non-Muslim to be prohibited, whereas, in my opinion, that is not the case;

Secondly, the cited author is apparently of the opinion that any existing or proposed marriage contract, between a Muslim and a non-Muslim is void and is, therefore, automatically severed and does not require a formal divorce.

I differ with the author on both these counts. As I have stated in a few of my earlier responses, the Qur'an has only expressly prohibited marriage between a Muslim (man and woman) and a polytheist (man and woman). The Qur'an has expressly allowed marriage between a Muslim man and a Jewish and a Christian woman. While the Qur'an is silent about marriage between a Muslim woman and a Christian and a Jewish man. In view of these facts, it is obvious that a clear prohibition exists only in marriages with polytheists. Other marriages can by no means be termed as among the clear and stated prohibitions of the Shari`ah.

As far as the second point is concerned, I am strictly of the opinion that because of the social nature of the marriage contract, it should only be severed or invalidated in a socially recognized manner. Thus, to avoid the potential social repercussions, especially for the woman, an existing marriage should only severed and invalidated according to the recognized legal framework of the society. In my opinion, therefore, there is no such thing as automatic severing or invalidation of an existing marriage.

It is obvious that had Islam not recognized the status of existing marriages, all those who accepted Islam at the call of the Prophet (pbuh) would then have been directed to renew their marriage contracts with their spouses (including, obviously, the Prophet himself), to make these marriages recognizable in the eyes of Islam. This, however, did not happen. All the existing marriages were recognized to be valid and no change of any status of the married couple was effected. In fact, we do not even find a single instance where the Prophet (pbuh) invalidated any existing marriage between a person, who accepted Islam and his/her existing spouse, even though the spouse still ascribed to the polytheistic creed.

Ibn Sa`d in his compilation of Muslim history "Al-Tabaqaat al-Kubraa", in the life sketch of Zainab (ra) - the daughter of the Prophet (pbuh) - writes:

When Abu al-`aas ibn al-Rabiy` returned from Syria, his wife Zainab (the daughter of the Prophet) had accepted faith and had migrated to Medinah with her father. Later on, he (i.e. her husband) also accepted faith. They were not separated (i.e. there marriage was not invalidated during this time). Qatadah reports that Zainab, the daughter of the Prophet (pbuh) was married to Abu al-`aas ibn al-Rabiy`. She migrated to Medinah with the Prophet of God. Subsequently, her husband accepted faith and migrated to the Prophet of God. At that time, the Prophet (pbuh) gave Zainab back to her husband... According to Ibn Abbas (ra) the Prophet (pbuh) returned his daughter Zainab to Abu al`aas - her husband - after two years of separation, under the first contract of marriage between them (i.e. without effecting a new marriage contract between them).

It is quite clear that had existing marriages been automatically invalidated through the acceptance of Islam of any one or the other of the spouses, each of the companions' marriages would have been invalidated and subsequently a new contract would have been effected.

In view of the stated points, I do not agree with the cited opinion of the referred author.

I hope this helps.

May 20, 2001

Question:

I have recently converted to Islam and was already living with a non-Muslim, whom I wished to marry. He does not believe and while I pray he will convert, it is still possible that he will not. I still intend to stay with him, though it is forbidden and we intend to have children. I was wondering what the consequences of this action would be for any children that we may have.

Answer:

Before I give an answer to your specific question, I would like to clarify that the Qur'an , while explaining the limitations of social relations between Muslims and those ascribing to other religions, has divided these other religions into two categories. The first category is of people ascribing to Shirk (polytheism) and the second category is that of those who believe in one God, even though they do not believe in Mohammad (pbuh) as a true prophet of God.

As far as the first category of non-Muslims is concerned, Islam has prohibited both their men as well as women in marriage for Muslims (Al-Baqarah 2: 221). While with regard to the second group, the Qur'an has expressly allowed marriage with their women but has not given any express directives regarding marriage with their men (Al-Maaidah 5: 5).

In view of these directives of the Qur'an , it is my opinion that marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man should be avoided, unless he converts to Islam.

I can fully appreciate the emotional difficulty and stress that a Muslim woman may have to go through because of this directive of the Qur'an , yet one must not forget that this life is a testing time for us. We are being tested for our obedience to God's commands and our submission to His will. To be successful in this test, we should always be prepared and willing to pay its price. This price can sometimes be in the shape of sacrificing our emotions, suppressing our desires and sometimes even giving our lives. We must never forget that whatever we give up in God's way shall be returned to us with unimaginable increments. The Prophet (pbuh) is ascribed to have said, "The road to the everlasting bliss of Paradise is covered with things that are difficult and disliked [by man], while the path of the everlasting punishment of Hellfire is covered by very attractive things".

31st July 1999

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

First welcome to our family.

Sister, I know that Allah subhana talla in His Mercy opens doors. He is our provider. Turn to Allah with your total heart and He, the Holy One, will guide you.
Please know your family here will make dua for you. From what you describe your husband is very open to the Truth. Listen to the suggestions above and keep the faith. I know from personal experience that Allah subhana talla never disappoints. I speak from the being there done that and in hindsight I have been blessed.
Islam is the Truth. Hold on to Islam.

massi

welcom to our tti ::SMILY259: :SMILY259: :SMILY259:
read it :
She became Muslim approximately two weeks before her husband; is their marriage invalid?

Question:
We are new reverts and have been told our marriage is no longer valid as far as within Islam. I reverted on 16Feb2001 and at the time my husband refused. I left him and went to stay with a good friend. On 2Mar2001, I received a phone call stating that he had taken his shahadah and so I went home to him. we have been told that according to the shariah, that when he did not convert, the marriage became 'null' and that we should not even stay in the same house until we remarry in Islam. Is there something about this somewhere, I am desperate for the answer as I do not want to live in a sinful relationship and displease Allah.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

What you have been told is not correct, because if one spouse becomes Muslim before the other, then the other becomes Muslim before the woman’s ‘iddah is over, then their original marriage remains valid. The woman’s ‘iddah is three menstrual periods if she menstruates, or three months if she is past menopause, or until delivery if she is pregnant. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad, and is the view of Maalik with regard to cases like that mentioned in the question, which is where the wife becomes Muslim before her husband. This is also indicated by many instances that are mentioned in the Sunnah.

For example: the wife of Safwaan ibn Umayyah became Muslim on the day of the Conquest of Makkah, then he became Muslim approximately one month after her, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not order them to separate or tell them to make a new marriage contract. She remained with him on the basis of their original marriage. Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The fame of this hadeeth is stronger than its isnaad.

But if the second partner became Muslim after the end of the ‘iddah, in this case there is a difference of scholarly opinion. The correct view is that if they agree to go back to one another on the basis of the original marriage contract and the woman has not married someone else, that is permissible and they do not need to do a new marriage contract. This is the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his student Ibn al-Qayyim. It is also the view regarded as most correct by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on them all). They quoted as evidence the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to whom the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) returned his daughter Zaynab to her husband Abu’l-Aas on the basis of their original marriage contract. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1134; Abu Dawood, 2230; Ibn Maajah, 2019; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

He became Muslim two years after the revelation of the verses of al-Mumtahanah, in which it says that Muslim woman are forbidden to mushrik men. It seems that her ‘iddah would have ended within this period, but the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) still returned her to him on the basis of the original marriage contract.

The point is that they remained married on the basis of their original marriage contract and they did not need to do a new contract. And Allaah knows best.

See Zaad al-Ma’aad, 5/133-140; al-Mughni, 10/8-10; al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 10/288-291.

Islam Q&A

bahijah

Thank each and every one of you for your posts and your Dua's. I am moved to tears. Everything that you have said confirms what has been in my heart since I wrote that post earlier today, I will continue to pray to Allah (swt) for HIS help. I plan to approach my husband with wisdom and as someone stated not with ultimatums, but with love. I also plan to encourage my husband to attend meetings with his Muslim friends, that is a good idea.

I will keep in touch with you as I have found many links to study here at TTI. InshaAllah soon I will be able to tell you that he is converted, and Allah knows best.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum sister
please keep in touch
May Allah make it easy for u and your family
May be your husband is already muslim too but he doesnt even know that
:)
talk to him with all your love and try to explain peacefully ....

Let me post u this video about yusuf Estes that was mentioned before and his story that came to my mind rght after I read your post

Its a good story to learn from

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52

take care
wasalam

Pinky

salaamualikum You should talk to an imam about your situation. I have come across at least one similar situation where the woman felt she couldnt leave her husband and didnt know what to do and the fatwa was that she must recognize that her Creator is the top priority, and that He does not place a burden on us larger than which we can bear, however, Allaah is the Most Merciful, Oft Forgiving and if put into a such a tight situation, picking the lesser evil of the two would be better than commiting the larger sin. In this case, either the woman would feel it was too much to do and would not convert to Islam and only leave it completely after such an experience, or accpeting Islam and recognizing that your commiting a huge sin as every day goes by, but making sure you repent and ask for forgiveness everday and tryig your best to help you husband see the truth or work something out with him to save the family. Im not suggesting you should do this or that, im jus saying that ive come across something similar but you should DEFinatELY seek the advice of a trusted imam if possible around you. The optimal choice is obviously to exert yourself to the max in obeying your Lord, even if it means certain sacrifices, however, one must NEVER forget that Allaah SWT is the Most Merciful and He understands us better than we understand ourselves, so we should all seek His mercy and invoke His forgivness. Dont let this turn you away after youve found the truth. The least you can do is commit the smaller sin than disbelief in Allaah SWT whilst constantly seeking forgivness and another solution.
I cant find the fatwa that i was talkin about, mayb someone else has come across something similar, but in either case, this is jus my opinion based on what ive read, but since i cannot provide an exact source, do not jus take it and run with it, but make sure you speak to an imam who can help guide you or something. worst comes to worst, dun turn you back on Allaah SWT. definatley try your best to overcome this situation with your husband and try to find a solution but do not despair if u cannot because Allaah SWT's forgiveness is vast beyond measures, but definately DONT TURN BACK God Forbid!!! InshAllaah all the best, may your husband accept Islam. Keep us updated InshAllaah. take care Salaamualikum

Kayote

Assalam u ALiekum,

I am writing here simply to say that some of the answers given here are so well done, I could not possibly better them in many years. So here is my one advice which may seem obvious and one you already are acting upon but none the less, if it earns me one favour with Allah, Im a fortunate man. On to the advice:
Why not learn with him. Why donot the two of you explore together so you can seek answers together and be more in sync with each other's understanding... Yes, you know more than he does but it will give you a chance to re-take those footsteps and mayhaps gain more insight. Insha'Allah.

Salam & I shall pray for your whole family.

Salam

Be respectful of his

ama6621

Assalam Alaikum,
Dear Sister Insha Allah everything will work out for you. Allah put us through trials to see which way we will turn. But never despair of His Mercy. For He is the All Mighty and the All Merciful. and He only puts those through tests whom He loves. I will remember you in my duas Insha Allah.
May Allah guide you and your husband to the straight path. Ameen.

Assalam Alaikum

gazkour

sister Bahijah:

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

When the brothers and sisters here say you are not allowed to marry a non muslim, they are right BUT please notice that is "to marry" and you are already married, you are not marrying. In the Coran, Allah prohibits other things as an example a man marrying two sisters BUT it says just after the prohibition: EXCEPT WHAT IS ALREADY DONE. So basically Allah would not rather a marriage ending, and more when it's a beautifull marriage like yours. Be careful sister, because this is a very serious thing to do, we are talking here about a family and that's invaluable before the eyes of Islam.
So I would advise you to inquire very well about every espect before even thinking about doing anything.
Allah is the Most Compassionate and Merciful, so I don't think you have to divorce. I also don't think that would be the best way to show your husband the beauty of Islam.
It's just my opinion Allah knows best.

May Allah guide us all!

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato.

and have a very happy Eid!!