Wear blue for Autism!!

Valerie

But regardless.. we canno't make "autism day" "cancer day" sooner or later we will have "halloween for muslims"

I see what you're saying, but wearing blue tomorrow (well today, it's 12:05 at my house now), isn't for religious reasons (for some, Halloween or "All Saints Day" is a religious celebration). Wearing the blue to raise awareness about a problem that people face isn't celebrating it. If I walked outside and everyone is wearing blue, I would ask someone and they'd tell me. And I would probably look the issue up to learn more. People won't be having "Cancer Parties" like "Halloween Parties". It just makes people think about the issue and what they can do to help those who need it.

I'm no expert, but that's what I think. Others have explained it better.

UmmOf3

As a mom to an authist, I know firsthand how much prejudice there is out there amongst muslims, specially imigrants, and I think it is sad... So yeah, if I was going out today, I would have worn blue, but since its holiday here, I got no plans of going anywhere lol.

UmmOf3

MashaAllah nice video...

But the yelling teacher made me so so sad... As a mom of an authist, it makes me cry that such teachers sadly still exists...

ummhend

Asalamualekom everyone,

Blue hijab Day 2011 is coming up next month, the facebook page is facebook.com/bluehijabday and you can RSVP to the facebook event as well.

I am the sister who created Blue Hijab Day (a project of my blog Muslimas Oasis)

I wanted to say to those who think this is bida'a in any way, this is not an act of worship, nor is it a celebration or some sort of religious practice in any sense. This is an awareness effort, it involves wearing blue in an attempt to disseminate information and understanding and to show solidarity (just like, changing your profile picture to support a certain cause, or having a yearly fundraiser for a certain charity). It is not only about wearing blue but also learning, understanding more about Autism and showing support and acceptance to those who deal with it and those who are touched by it in some way.

It was originally created as a way to bring about more understanding in our community (which still has a long way to go to support, understand and treat with respect and equality people with disabilities).

Showing support, understanding, respect and helping those who deal with disabilities (just a note, Autism is not a disease it is a neurological disorder) is a part of our deen, and that is all we are doing, encouraging people to understand more and accept and support those who deal with Autism and other disabilities or "different abilities".

May Allah accept it from us and guide us to what is good and prevent us from what is bad amin.
:hijabi:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First please allow me to welcome you to the TTI family.

As a Muslim sister I wish to thank you. You are making the path for many sisters. We need sisters to reclaim our duty to strive for good deeds. A simple non-verbal message simply reinforcing that I am united with my sisters to raise awareness, as is my duty to the Malik of Mankind.

Insha'Allah we will have many posts from you.

ummhend

:wasalam:
Jazaki Allahu khairun for the welcome and support.

I am not very active on forums but I have often visited TTI over the years, a great resource mashaAllah.