What do you do on your birthday?

autumn

Strength in Unity
:salam2:

Inshaallah am turning eighteen by end of the year. And am wondering about celebrating birthdays. Is it disliked in islamic tradition? Or is it ok to have small memorable day or does it not matter? Well i know it will be good to perform two rak’ah nafl prayers but what time of day should this be done? Anytime of day? Birthdays shouldn’t be such big deal? I mean i never exactly celebrated before anyway. I also have another question. The other day i fasted the sunnah without any of family knowing, even my mom. I had the intention to fast. Also i hope brushing teeth does not break the fast, although its advisable not to do so. But could the fast be accepted if my family don know? Its not like they will say no to me fasting, they will say yes, but its complicate. I don want to bother my mum, because then she’l wake me up for sahur, i can wake myself, but still she’l want to make sure. But I didn wake for sahur because I still could survive, lol, even though im thin, lol. And then at night i don want bother her to cook something for me (apart from the normal dinner, i mean). So i didn tell no one in family bout me fasting. Also she’l tell me i don need to fast (and this telling does not end quick), because she say i’l be tired from school and also that im thin. But i fasted on school day so they wont know im fasting because I spend more than half day there. Ok this not suppose to be this long. But it can be accept right? With good intention, inshaAllah? Well i hope its accept, but I need make sure.

Muslim_Gurl

Thank You Allah!
Assalamu alaikom sis, im not sure about the fasting part but about birthdays.......thats SERIOUS. LoL just joking. Well, birthdays shoudl not be celebrated, because the Prophet (SAW) didn't do it. Anywayzz, we shoudln't really be that happy about birthdays. And this is because we are one year closer to death. Each day we are a day closer to death, and on borthdays we are a year closer to death. So whhhhhhhhyyyyyy should we celebrate birthdays when we are closer to death?? I mean, if we do it because it means we are a year closer to meeting ALLAH, then kk but still. Anywayzz, I don't want to lecture you but its just what I think. kkk ( i don't want to say this........) happy birthday...........

Wasalam

palestine

Servant of Allah
Asalamu alaykum wrwb. i don't celebrate birthdays. it is not allowed in Islam. the reason is that birthdays were originally celebrated for the one who is turning a new age so as to ward of the evil. as for us muslims Allah is our protector. here is the fatwa:

Celebrating birthdays is not allowed
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

autumn

Strength in Unity
salam,

About the birthday, thank u. i should know by now though but i wanted to know what other Muslims do.

adilazzalif

nice reply!

mashallah! nice reply brother palastine.Also I wanted 2 add something more to the reply of brother Palastine which I thought would be worthy of thought.
Islam is a religion which emphasises on rituals along with belief.The Holy Quran stress this fact many times.for instance, chapter 103 verse 3 begins by reminding this fact.So every single instance in a Muslim's life is defined and described in detail.Our beloved prophet Sallahlahualaihiwasallam has shown us a path that will lead us to Allah!

In this context sister autumn just think about celebrating birthdays.Is there any verse in the Holy Quran which asks us to celebrate the Birthday of any Prophets?What are the rituals that Rasulaullahi sallalahualaihiwasallam has taught us to observe on that day if it was such an auspicious day?

"may Allah guide us all to His path.Whomsoever Allah has Guided there is none to misguide n whomsoever the has misguided there is none to guide."

Also its nice to know that sister autumn is taking such an effort to keep her good deeds hidden from her family members.But still I think its okay to discuss any good deeds u do with family members as its an encouragement for them too.

autumn

Strength in Unity
mashallah! nice reply brother palastine.Also I wanted 2 add something more to the reply of brother Palastine which I thought would be worthy of thought.
Islam is a religion which emphasises on rituals along with belief.The Holy Quran stress this fact many times.for instance, chapter 103 verse 3 begins by reminding this fact.So every single instance in a Muslim's life is defined and described in detail.Our beloved prophet Sallahlahualaihiwasallam has shown us a path that will lead us to Allah!

In this context sister autumn just think about celebrating birthdays.Is there any verse in the Holy Quran which asks us to celebrate the Birthday of any Prophets?What are the rituals that Rasulaullahi sallalahualaihiwasallam has taught us to observe on that day if it was such an auspicious day?

"may Allah guide us all to His path.Whomsoever Allah has Guided there is none to misguide n whomsoever the has misguided there is none to guide."

Also its nice to know that sister autumn is taking such an effort to keep her good deeds hidden from her family members.But still I think its okay to discuss any good deeds u do with family members as its an encouragement for them too.

yes...we shouldnt be celebrating birthdays because it does not say so....but really im not such a big fan anyway.. but tanx all for the reply.

i hope the fasting accepted..well now i feel it is..okay i hope it is.. but yes good deeds can be shared for encouragement.

also i want to add, Palestine is a sister..

abuayesha

:wasalam:
Alhamdulillaah
What a good and knowledgeable family of TTI it is! May Allaah bless the TTI to continue on the right path.

I would like to add something more.

Celebrating birthdays is a sunnah of Abu Lahab, the one cursed by Allaah.
It was Abu Lahab who celebrated the birthday of the Prophet Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam. So, we pray Allaah to protect all of us following the cursed one.

Wassalaam

adilazzalif

Alhamdulillaah
What a good and knowledgeable family of TTI it is! May Allaah bless the TTI to continue on the right path.

I would like to add something more.

Celebrating birthdays is a sunnah of Abu Lahab, the one cursed by Allaah.
It was Abu Lahab who celebrated the birthday of the Prophet Sallallaahu Alaihi wasallam. So, we pray Allaah to protect all of us following the cursed one.

Wassalaam
What do u mean when u say u r not a big fan ?? big fan of whom? pls clear my confusion ....

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Assalam aleikum automn,

As many answered celebrating birthdays is not from Islam. Personally, it's just a normal day, i don't tell no one. It actually reminds me of how long i've been here and it allows meditation to take place. You know, i've been here [on the face of this earth] for 18 years, nearly 19..what have i done? It's such a freezing throught. May Allah swt guide us.

As for your fasting, uhktii you do not need to tell anyone. Fasting is between you and Allah swt. You can brush your theeths as long as no water slips through your throat intentionally..

autumn

Strength in Unity
Assalam aleikum automn,

As many answered celebrating birthdays is not from Islam. Personally, it's just a normal day, i don't tell no one. It actually reminds me of how long i've been here and it allows meditation to take place. You know, i've been here [on the face of this earth] for 18 years, nearly 19..what have i done? It's such a freezing throught. May Allah swt guide us.

As for your fasting, uhktii you do not need to tell anyone. Fasting is between you and Allah swt. You can brush your theeths as long as no water slips through your throat intentionally..

ya i should have thought so (about the fasting) not to tell.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

Inshaallah am turning eighteen by end of the year. And am wondering about celebrating birthdays. Is it disliked in islamic tradition? Or is it ok to have small memorable day or does it not matter? Well i know it will be good to perform two rak’ah nafl prayers but what time of day should this be done? Anytime of day? Birthdays shouldn’t be such big deal? I mean i never exactly celebrated before anyway. I also have another question. The other day i fasted the sunnah without any of family knowing, even my mom. I had the intention to fast. Also i hope brushing teeth does not break the fast, although its advisable not to do so. But could the fast be accepted if my family don know? Its not like they will say no to me fasting, they will say yes, but its complicate. I don want to bother my mum, because then she’l wake me up for sahur, i can wake myself, but still she’l want to make sure. But I didn wake for sahur because I still could survive, lol, even though im thin, lol. And then at night i don want bother her to cook something for me (apart from the normal dinner, i mean). So i didn tell no one in family bout me fasting. Also she’l tell me i don need to fast (and this telling does not end quick), because she say i’l be tired from school and also that im thin. But i fasted on school day so they wont know im fasting because I spend more than half day there. Ok this not suppose to be this long. But it can be accept right? With good intention, inshaAllah? Well i hope its accept, but I need make sure.

these are often challenges for us muslims that reverted to the deen. we have spent so much of our lives partaking in things from our culture that are contrary to islam. i no longer celebrate my birthday, but i will admit that my family can't leave me alone on that day and they will do everything in their power to spend time with me on that day. it is true that for each birthday that we celebrate, we indeed get closer to our death, but at the same time we can also be thankful for having the privilege to still have our lives. there are countless souls that are in the grave that don't have the chance to repent for their sins. alhamdulillah, we still do. so basically, if your birthday has to mean something to you, i would say spend that day making tawbah to ALLAH SWT.

birthday celebrations are disliked in islam for several reasons.

the Prophet :saw: never celebrated them. therefore, there wasn't ever need to celebrate them, because if it were ok to do so, we would know about it.

the second thing is that it constitutes bi'daa. bi'daa is never good for islam and ultimately attempts to change islam. and the fact of the matter is that islam doesn't need to change.

the third thing is that birthday, christmas, halloween, easter, mardi gras celebrations are the celebrations of the unbelievers. if we were to go along in celebrating them, we might as well count ourselves as one of them. the Prophet :saw: said that whoever imitates a people is of that people. so we as muslims want to be identified as muslims, so we stay away from those things.

sometimes people judge us because we do not take part in some social activities or rituals. yes, some of their parties are fun and interesting, but we as muslims have a higher authority to answer to, which is ALLAH SWT. so do we honor ALLAH SWT or do we give in to the others so that we do not seem anti-social or intolerant?

Almaas

Asalaam u alaykum,

Are you allowed to attend birthday celebrations, and that of non-muslims?

Waalaykum asalaam.