What exacly is taṣawwuf or Sufism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I live in northern California, where we are highly influenced by the Zaytuna institute that was founded by Hamza Yusuf. About 90% (my guess) of the converts in this area gravitate towards that group. They have a masjid in the Bay area that invites all Muslims to pray together in unison - if you pray there the one next to you may follow the sunnah or he/she may be Shiite. The sisters may or may not have hijab - they are encouraged to "express their own interpretations". They have a "group" called the Taleef Collective that offers classes and the photos on their website clearly shows men and women together in the same room.

Now my question is this - what exactly is "taṣawwuf" and did our Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam practice it? If not why is it those who DO practice it defend it with tooth and claw? Its a bit frustrating because so many brothers that I know in this area are trying to find wives but with so many of the sisters part of this group its a bit hard.

Anyway I am not trying to be incendiary here or to offend anyone. I am just wondering.

Thank you
D

BegumRehana

Asalamwalaikum..I would also want to know about Sufism because i know a non-muslim who is "attracted to Sufism".. :/
JazakaAllah-khair

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Sufi tareeqahs and the ruling on joining them

Praise be to Allaah.

We must understand that the word al-soofiyyah (Sufism) refers to wearing woollen clothes [the Arabic word soof means “wool”] and nothing else.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The word al-soofiyyah (Sufism) refers to wearing woollen clothes; this is the correct meaning. It was said that it comes from the word safwat al-fuqaha’ (the elite of the fuqaha’) or from Soofah ibn Add ibn Taanijah, an Arab tribe that was known for its asceticism, or from Ahl al-Suffah (poor Muslims in Madeenah at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) who used to stay in the mosque), or from al-Safa (the mountain in Makkah), or from the word al-safwah (meaning elite), or from the phrase al-saff al-muqaddam bayna yaday Allaah (the foremost rank before Allaah). All of these views are weak (da’eef); if any of them were true then the word would be saffi or safaa’i or safawi, not sufi.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 11/195

Sufism (tasawwuf) did not appear until after the first three generations which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) praised when he said, “The best of mankind is my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them…” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2652; Muslim, 2533; from the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to the word soofiyyah (Sufism), it was not known during the first three generations, rather it became known after that.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 11/5

This tareeqah and its like are among the innovated ways that go against the Qur’aan and Sunnah and the way followed by the best generations. All the shaykhs of these tareeqahs have made up their own wirds (phrases to be uttered as dhikr), hizb (books of du’aa’ to be read daily by their followers) and ways of worship by which each of them may be distinguished from the others; this goes against sharee’ah and divides the ummah.

Allaah has blessed this ummah by perfecting its religion and completing His Favour upon it, so everyone who comes up with an act of worship or a way that was not brought by sharee’ah is effectively rejecting what Allaah has said and accusing the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) of betraying the trust.

Along with this innovation of theirs, they may also be lying by claiming that they received their tareeqah from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or that they are following the path and guidance of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs (al-khulafa’ al-raashideen).

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked:

Is there any such thing in Islam as the numerous tareeqahs like the Shaadhilyyah, Khalwatiyyah etc? If there is such a thing, what is the evidence for that? What is the meaning of the verses in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al‑Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-An’aam 6:153]

“And upon Allaah is the responsibility to explain the Straight Path. But there are ways that turn aside (such as Paganism, Judaism, Christianity). And had He willed, He would have guided you all (mankind)”

[al-Nahl 16:9]

What are the ways that separate people from the path of Allaah, and what is the way of Allaah? What is the meaning of the hadeeth narrated by Ibn Mas’ood, according to which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) drew a line and said, “This is the path of guidance,” then he drew lines to its right and another to its left and said, “These are other paths and on each path there is a devil calling people to it”?

They answered:

There is no such thing in Islam as the tareeqahs that you mentioned, or anything else like them. What there is in Islam is what is indicated by the two verses and the hadeeth that you quoted, and what was indicated by the hadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews split into seventy-one sects, and the Christians split into seventy-two sects. My ummah will split into seventy-three sects, all of which will be in Hell except one.” It was asked, “Who are they, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Those who follow the same path as I and my companions are on today.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “A group among my ummah will continue to follow the truth and to be victorious, and they will not be harmed by those who forsake them or oppose them, until the command of Allaah comes to pass when they are like that.” The truth lies in following the Qur’aan and the saheeh, unambiguous Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This is the path of Allaah, this is the Straight Path. This is the straight line mentioned in the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood, and this is what was followed by the companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (may Allaah be pleased with them and with their followers among the early generations (salaf) of this ummah, and with those who follow their path). All other tareeqahs or groups are the paths mentioned in the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path…”

[al-An’aam 6:153]

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 2/283, 284

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

az101

http://www.miraathpublications.net/
Tawassul: Intermediation Between Allaah and the Creation

Muhammad Zainoo's introduction to the most excellent book of Ibn Taymiyyah on the Waasitah (Intermediation) between Allah and His creation

The subject of intermediation between Allaah and the creation is an extremely important one. Unfortunately, many of the Muslims are ignorant of it.

A result of this is that we have forbidden ourselves the help of Allaah and being strengthened by Him, something which He promised us, should we seek refuge in Him (alone) and follow his command.

Allaah the Exalted said:

And it is a duty upon Us to help the Believers [Rum 30:47]

If you aid Allaah He will aid you and establish your feet firmly (upon the earth) [Muhammad 47:7]

And to Allaah, His Messenger and the Believers belongs the Honour [Munaafiqoon 63:8]

Mankind can be divided into three groups in terms of their understanding of how intermediation exists between Allaah and His creation.

THE FIRST: Those who reject that Allaah sent the Messenger () as an intermediary to teach the Sharee'ah (Allaah's right to be worshipped alone, His commands and prohibitions and all the ways and means Allaah has legislated to help mankind achieve their purpose on this earth) and claim that this Sharee'ah is for the common people, naming it the External Knowledge. They depend upon opinions and dotings for their form of worship and have given it the name Internal Knowledge. They also call it Kashf (sudden enlightenment). In reality however, these are nothing but whisperings of Shaytaan and the satanic means and ways which are in opposition to the simplest pillar of Islaam! Their well known saying in this regard is: My heart informed me about my Lord. [1]

They ridicule the scholars of the Sharee'ah and criticise them because they claim theytake their knowledge 'from the dead'. As for themselves, they claim to take their knowledge (directly) with good tidings (i.e. they receive revelation) from the Ever-Living and Self-Sustaining. As a result of this they have put many to trial and have led them astray. They commit such actions which are in complete opposition to the Sharee'ah and which are can be found in their books, that the scholars have declared them to be disbelievers and also declared their blood to be lawful due to their apostacy; being ignorant or feigning ignorance of the first pillar principle of the Sharee'ah which is that whoever worships Allaah by something other than what was revealed to Muhammad is a Kaafir without a doubt, due to the saying of Allaah the Exalted:

But no by your Lord! They do not believe until they make you judge in all their disputes and then find no resistance in their souls to what you decide and offer their fullest submission [Nisaa 4:65]

As such, Shaytaan has made their actions alluring to them by corrupting their knowledge and extinguishing its light. As a result they travel in darkness upon darkness and resort to their desires and imaginations worshipping Allaah by them. They are those whom Allaah has described in the Qur'aan:

Say: Shall we tell you of those who lose most in respect of their deeds?-Those whose efforts have been wasted in this life, while they thought that they were acquiring good by their works? They are those who deny the Signs of their Lord and the fact of their having to meet Him (in the Hereafter): Vain will be their works, nor shall We, on the Day of Judgment, give them any weight. [Kahf 18:103-105]

This group has also been divided into a number of factions each of them disagreeing and fighting with another due to their being far from the Straight Path, the Path of those whom Allaah has favoured, not of those upon whom is His anger nor of those who go astray. All of these groups are in the Fire like the Messenger () mentioned: Ummah will split into 73 groups. Seventy two will be in the Fire and one in Paradise : (the one) which is upon what I and my companions are upon. orted by Abu Daawood, Tirmidhee and Nasaa'ee with an authentic chain of narration from Abu Hurairah]

THE SECOND: Then there are others who exaggerate in this intermediation. This particular understanding is one of error.They have made it carry a meaning which, in reality, it does not. They have taken the physical essence of the Messenger () and others from among the prophets and righteous as intermediaries believing that Allaah the Exalted will not accept any action from His servants unless they approach Him through these intermediaries. Exalted is Allaah from what they say. They have described Allaah - and refuge is sought from Allaah - with something He refuses to be described with. It is the oppressive kings of this world who place barriers at their own doors so that none can enter (and converse with them or request from them) except he who has some sort of intermediary between himself and the king.

Where is this belief in the speech of Allaah:

When My servants ask You concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calls on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way [Baqarah 2:186]

This noble verse indicates that the one and only intermediary for coming closer to Allaah the Exalted is correct and true Eemaan in Him, then worshipping Him by what He has commanded. This verse has placed the righteous action as being above Eemaan so as to make mankind aware of the significance of correct and righteous action and that it is a necessary condition for attaining success with Allaah's happiness and entering into His Paradise.

Allaah the Exalted has mentioned Waseelah (the means of getting closer to Him) in the Quran intending by it acts of obedience. This is the one intermediary which will bring you closer to Him, open up for you the doors of His Mercy and enter you into His Paradise.

O you who believe! Fear Allaah and seek the means of approach to Him and strive in His path in order that you may succeed [Maa'ida 5:35 ]

Allaah has mocked the unmindful ignorants who have taken the righteous servants of Allaah as intermediaries while these servants themselves are in need of the means of approach to Allaah. This the obedience which will bring them closer to Allaah. Their is no other path for attaining closeness to Him besides it just like Allaah the Exalted has mentioned:

Those whom they call upon do desire (for themselves) means of access to their Lord, - even those who are nearest: they hope for His Mercy and fear His Wrath: for the Wrath of thy Lord is something to take heed of. [Israa 17:57]

It is sad that out of neglecting the correct and righteous actions and committing sins, these unmindful people have been enticed into depending upon such intermediaries. This is what has caused the failure of those Muslims who have forgotten or affected ignorance of the speech of Allaah to His Messenger () who is the leader of all the sons of Aadam:

Say: I have no control of benefit or harm over myself [A'raaf 7:188]

and also the saying of the Messenger () to his daughter, the myrtle of his heart: "O Faatimah!... I can avail you nothing from Allaah." and his () saying: "When a man dies his actions cease except for three: recurring charity, knowledge which he imparted and a son which supplicates for him."

If there had not been in the Qur'aan and the Sunnah proof of the impermissibility of seeking nearness to Allaah through the prophets and the righteous except that of Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab when he requested his uncle, Al-'Abbaas, to supplicate for the Muslims and abandoned Tawassul through the Messenger (), it would be enough as a refutation against this group. How excellent is what Imaam Abu Haneefah said (rh): And I detest that Allaah should be asked (for something) except by Allaah (i.e. directly)i as occurs in Durr ul-Mukhtaar and other books of the Hanafees. If seeking nearness to Allaah by means of the bodies of those whom we have mention were permissible then we would have found supplications in the Qur'aan and the Hadeeth - and how great is their number - linked to making tawassul through them!

THE THIRD: Amongst the Muslims are those who understand intermediation between Allaah and His creation to be the Messengership, which consists of knowledge, education and training. They have comprehended its great importance and the extent of mankind's need for it. So they hurry towards the Messenger () taking him as the greatest intermediary and means of approach for obtaining the Sharee'ah and seeking light (i.e. guidance) with the light of revelation. They study, together, the Messenger' Seerah and his Sunnah just as they study the Qur'aan, their motto being the call of Allaah the Exalted:

There hath come to you from Allaah a (new) light and a perspicuous Book,- by which Allaah guides all who seek His good pleasure to ways of peace and safety, and leadeth them out of darkness, by His will, unto the light,- guideth them to a path that is straight. [Maaidah 5:17-18]

This group is the saved one which has been mentioned in the previous hadeeth and which has been given the glad tidings of Paradise .

It is unfortunate that the way of this group is full of harm. This is because the correct form of Islaam has become strange and the majority of Muslims have become distant from it and have turned to innovations and opinions.

The Messenger () has informed us that the correct Deen is like a stranger to the people when he said: Indeed Islaam began as a stranger and shall return as a stranger just as it began, so Toobaa (a tree in Paradise ) for the strangers. [Reported by Muslim from Abu Hurairah]. And in the narration of Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah: It was then said: O Messenger of Allaah, who are the strangers? He replied: Those looked down upon in every tribe. And in the narration of Tirmidhee: So Toobaa for the strangers, those who rectify what the people have corrupted of my Sunnah. And also in the authentic narration of Imaam Ahmad the Messenger () after being questioned as to who the strangers were, said: Righteous people amidst a majority of evil people. Those who disobey them are greater than those who obey them.

This group strives for the ways of correction and reform and carries the torch of revival so that the Muslims awaken and return to the correct form of Islaam. Let us say to those who turn away, to their own ruin, what Allaah has said to their equals:

"No reason have we why we should not put our trust on Allaah. Indeed He Has guided us to the Ways we (follow). We shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us. For those who put their trust should put their trust on Allaah" [Ibraaheem 14:12 ]

Footnotes

1. Ibn al-Qayyim said: He (Shaikhul Islam) said: And as for what many of the people of imaginations and foolishness say: Haddathanee qalbi an Rabbi (My heart informed me of my Lord) then it is correct that his heart informed him. However from whom? His Shaytaan or from His Lord? When he says: My heart informed me about my Lord he is ascribing this informing to someone about whom he does not know whether he actually informed him or not. And this is a lie. He said (Shaikhul- Islam): And the muhaddath of this Ummah (i.e. Umar ibn Al-Khattab) [referring to the hadeeth in Bukhaaree: Indeed in the nations before you there were muhaddathoon (people who were spoken to) and if there was one in this Ummah it would be Umar Ibn al-Khattab] never used to say this and this saying [my heart informed me of my Lord] was never uttered by him on a single day. Allaah protected him from saying that. In fact his scribe wrote one day: This is what Allaah showed to the Ameer ul-Mumineen, Umar ibn al-Khattab. So he (Umar said: No. Erase it and write: This is what Umar ibn al-Khattab saw. If it is correct it is from Allaah and if it is wrong then it is from Umar and Allaah and His Messenger are free from it. And he said: I speak about it with my opinion. If it is correct it is from Allaah and if it is wrong it is from me and Shaytaan. So this the saying of al-Muhaddath (i.e. Umar) who has the testification of the Messenger () and you will see the Ittihaadi (believing in the Divine Union) and the Hulooli (believing in the inclusion of Allaah in His creation or parts of His creation) and the licentious unrestrained strayer giving rise to forgery saying: My heart has informed me about My Lord.

So look at these two sayings (that of Umar and that of those claiming to receive knowledge of Allaah direct, from their hearts) and these two grades, those who say both these sayings (i.e. Umar and those making this claim) and these two states (that of Umar and of those besides him) and give every owner of a right his due right and do not make the counterfeit/imposter and the sincere the one and the same thing.

Madaarij us-Saalikeen (1/64)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Islamic philosophy has been influenced by much Sufi thought. It is a wonderful and inclusive philosophy. It is very difficult to practice daily.

Most of Islam is pragmatic. Islam is a faith of function. Most adherents of Islam attempt to remain on the middle path.

Sufism is the mystical element of Islam. It has produced beautiful poetry of Islam. It is very difficult to live as a Sufi daily. It is the inner journey. This becomes difficult. The outer life has rules and regulations. We pray, we fast, we are encouraged to be in congregation. The Sufi is required to abandon the outer life. One has to be strong.

The Sufi actively casts out all desire. The soul can not have any desire outside of Allah. We are mere humans and that is very difficult.

The life of the poet Rumi gives us a glimpse of the steep path to Allah. It is not the journey of the average person.

likeali4life

Assalaam walaikum,

Islamic philosophy has been influenced by much Sufi thought. It is a wonderful and inclusive philosophy. It is very difficult to practice daily.

Most of Islam is pragmatic. Islam is a faith of function. Most adherents of Islam attempt to remain on the middle path.

Sufism is the mystical element of Islam. It has produced beautiful poetry of Islam. It is very difficult to live as a Sufi daily. It is the inner journey. This becomes difficult. The outer life has rules and regulations. We pray, we fast, we are encouraged to be in congregation. The Sufi is required to abandon the outer life. One has to be strong.

The Sufi actively casts out all desire. The soul can not have any desire outside of Allah. We are mere humans and that is very difficult.

The life of the poet Rumi gives us a glimpse of the steep path to Allah. It is not the journey of the average person.

Jazakallah

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

Islamic philosophy has been influenced by much Sufi thought. It is a wonderful and inclusive philosophy. It is very difficult to practice daily

:wasalam:

Sufi thought like Wahdatul wujood and wahdatul shuhoot ? Islam is free from this Alhamdulillah.

It is difficult to practice, because it is not from Sunnah rather it is man made formula of so called 'shaykhs'.

Sufism being the extreme and deviant part.

Sufism is the mystical element of Islam. It has produced beautiful poetry of Islam. It is very difficult to live as a Sufi daily. It is the inner journey.

Sufism is a deviant element of Islam. They have produced wide variety of heresies and forms of Kufr.

Everything is a inner journey. I have seen a Sufi shaykh who even claims to pray salah inside his soul when he is talking or sleeping ! A man asked him if he can stop himself from urinating and do that with his inner soul too. lol

This becomes difficult. The outer life has rules and regulations. We pray, we fast, we are encouraged to be in congregation. The Sufi is required to abandon the outer life. One has to be strong.

Did the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam order you to leave your life and lead an ascetic life like the monks ? No.

Remember the hadeeth when the 3 sahabi wanted to outdo the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi WaSallam in good deeds, what was his response ?

“What is the matter with a people who say, as for me, I will do this…‟ by Allah, I am the most knowledgeable amongst you about Allah, and I have the most Taqwa of Him, I know the most about Allah and His rights upon me, and I fast and break my fast, and I pray at night and sleep, and I marry women. Whoever is displeased with my Sunnah is not from me.”

As explained above, it is not even a teaching of Islam to practice this and the Prophet SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam spoke in strong terms against it.

And what about his Aqeedah ? The Aqeedah that is the key to paradise. Do you know about what the scholars have mentioned about Rumi the poet ?

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asalamwalaikum..I would also want to know about Sufism because i know a non-muslim who is "attracted to Sufism".. :/
JazakaAllah-khair

Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa baarkatuhu

Sufism is deviant sect, which is on the wrong path and far away from Islaam.You should stay away from them dear sister, but learn Islaam from Quran and how is explained in the Sunnah of our Prophet Mohammed sallahu alayha wa salam. You can find good and usefull thread on TTI mashalalh, which can help you to learn truth Islaam.

Allah subahn wa teala forbids ascet way of life or any kind of extremism or bidaah, but Allah and His Messanger sallahu alayha wa saalam explained us who is truth Muslim, who folow Allah commands and stick to Sunnah,and take from practise of first Sallafu Saleeh Muslims ( Ashabahs r.a and first generations of Muslim),and everything which is outside from that is not from Islaam.

May Allah reword you brother " BrotherInIslaam7" for your good explination mashallah.:tti_sister:

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I heard the interpretation of Sufism today is wrong and against the Sunnah. Someone linked me to this video and said that this is current day sufi...

[yt]xibjPDckIXs[/yt]

@Brother DanyalSAC, I believe this is relevant to your questions -

[yt]qbNhiDXY-Mk[/yt]

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Its really annoying bcos i posted an article about sufism and its been removed!!! Why moderator?

:salam2:

Islam should be followed as practiced by our righteous predecessors, Salaf us Salih (May Allah be pleased with them. Ameen) & by sticking to the Quran and the Sunnah.

This webforum is known to stick to Dawah of Ahl Us Sunnah Alhamdulillah and considers Sufism as a 'deviation'. That is the reason why any post/threads that propagates this form of deviation is moderated.

You can find threads contributed by the forum owner related to sufism below :-

Sufism : The Deviated Path

The Truth about Sufism

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We can not ignore the legacy of Islam. Imam Ghazali is one of the wisest of recognized philosophy and theology.

As Muslims we are to practice tolerance. No Sufi kills or rapes or lies to anyone. No Sufi could ever point a finger at anyone. They simply choose a path that is less traveled.

I have never ever had a Sufi be less than noble to me.

These are humans that choose a slightly different path. They practice tolerance and piety.

Sometimes I wish members of this forum would try practicing a little tolerance.

likeali4life

Assalaam walaikum,

We can not ignore the legacy of Islam. Imam Ghazali is one of the wisest of recognized philosophy and theology.

As Muslims we are to practice tolerance. No Sufi kills or rapes or lies to anyone. No Sufi could ever point a finger at anyone. They simply choose a path that is less traveled.

These are humans that choose a slightly different path. They practice tolerance and piety.

Well said 100% agree with you

sajjuaiah

SUFIS ARE NOTHING BUT "MUSHRIKS"

SUFIS ARE NOTHING BUT "MUSHRIKS"

IF ANYONE ASK FOR HELP (DEAD) OTHER THAN ALLAH COMMITS SHIRK.. THOSE WHO COMMIT SHIRK IS CALLED AS MUSHRIKS...

ALLAH HAS SEND ALL THE PROPHETS TO THIS WORLD WITH ONE CLEAR MESSAGE "ESTABLISH TAUHEED AVOID TAGHOOT (SHIRK)"

MAY ALLAH PROTECT THIS UMMAH FROM "SHRIK" AND MUSHRIKS..:tti_sister:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

:salam2:

You forgot to mention that they have beliefs and practices that run counter to Islam as well.

No person has to kill or rape or drink to be classified as deviant or heresy. It is rather the beliefs that they hold and profess openly. If you take the time to read the threads I have linked above, it will become quite clear.

As for Ghazzali, he himself went through different phases of philosophy in his life, which he later denounced and distanced himself from.

There is no tolerance on deviance. Else scores of our scholars would have never spend time debating the misled and correcting the ones with little/incorrect knowledge. It is rather the command of Allah azz zawajal to encourage Maruf and forbid Munkar.

aisha16

Sufis are misguided people. It's true the Sufis of the past were good people. They abstained from the pleasures of the world and lived there lives in worship to Allah. But nowadays it's a completely different story. They're strange people for sure. I wouldn't involve myself with a Sufi person honestly. Sufis almost worship there Sheikhs..they pray to the dead..and I heard that threaten to "curse" you if you don't give money to them. They have an agenda in what they do...

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I did not watch the video. I was struck by the title: Sufi has no Arabic Source.

Now, that in itself lends to ethnocentrism of the most arrogant nature. I know this must be a poor translation. Islam is not limited to Saudi Arabia.

It is the Gift of Allah to this world. It has no limitations.

Islam is not physical. Are we really suggesting that correct thought is limited to an Arabic source.

How can one take seriously a video wherein the producers etc. have not taken the time to reflect on the Word of Allah. The Source of Islam is Allah.

We need to be careful before we attack. We can not be intolerant.

PS. I found this rather fascinating.

Ibn Taymiyah's general attitude to Sufism is given in the following
statement:

"Some people accept everything of Sufism, what is right as well as
what is wrong; others reject it totally, both what is wrong as
well as what is right, as some scholars of _kalam_ and _fiqh_
do. The right attitude toward Sufism, or any other thing, is to
accept what is in agreement with the Qur'an and the Sunnah, and
reject what does not agree."

[Quote originally from Majmu` Fatawa Shaykh 'l-Islam Ibn Taymiyah,
compiled by `Abd 'l-Rahman 'l-Asimi and his son Muhammad,
Riyadh, Vol. X, p. 82. English translation of this statement
from "Sufism and Shari`ah: A Study of Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi's
Effort to Reform Sufism" by Muhammad Abdul Haq Ansari,
published by the Islamic Foundation, 1986, p. 130.]

Ibn Taymiyah was certainly not opposed to Sufism, though he did oppose
some of the statements of some Sufis, such as Ibn al-Arabi, while on the
other hand greatly praising other Sufis, such as Shaykh Abdul-Qadir
al-Jilani. Ibn Taymiyah even wrote a commentary on Shaykh Abdul-Qadir
al-Jilani's collection of talks, "Futuh al-Ghayb," which he had much
praise for.

More details on Ibn Taymiyah and Sufism can be found in the book,
"Sufism and Shari`ah" by Muhammad Abdul Haq Ansari, published by the
Islamic Foundation in 1986, pp. 130-139.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

I did not watch the video. I was struck by the title: Sufi has no Arabic Source.

If you would have watch the video, you would have understood the reason for the title. The word 'sufi' or 'soofee' has no Arabic source. This is what the presenter of the video tries to establish using evidences from Sufi scholars themselves.

Al Qushayri himself admits to this (as mentioned in the video). The sufi origins can be traced back to Indian and Greek people who were not muslim at that time. (pagan roots). All of this is mentioned in the video.

Now, that in itself lends to ethnocentrism of the most arrogant nature. I know this must be a poor translation. Islam is not limited to Saudi Arabia.

To claim that following Islam as followed by Sahaba, Tabieen and Taba Tabieen is a choice rather than an obligation, is a very erroneous statement. It has nothing to do with following Islam of a certain group of people/tribe/scholar or following the tradition of a certain country or culture.

Neither is the presenter of this video from KSA, nor am I.

It is the Gift of Allah to this world. It has no limitations.

Wahdatul Wujood and Al fanaa (which come from Sufism) are gifts of Allah ?

They are such vile and repelling matters. It has come from Satanic sources without any doubt !

Islam is not physical. Are we really suggesting that correct thought is limited to an Arabic source.

But the religion is based on Quran and Sunnah. Where do we find any basis for sufi heresies in the Quran or Sunnah ?

We need to be careful before we attack. We can not be intolerant.

How can you keep quiet when these pagan inspired rituals and believes are passed on as 'Islam' ? Is this intolerance ?

Rather it is refuting the baatil (falsehood) and showing people what is true understanding of Islam.

Ibn Taymiyah's general attitude to Sufism is given in the following
statement:

"Some people accept everything of Sufism, what is right as well as
what is wrong; others reject it totally, both what is wrong as
well as what is right, as some scholars of _kalam_ and _fiqh_
do. The right attitude toward Sufism, or any other thing, is to
accept what is in agreement with the Qur'an and the Sunnah, and
reject what does not agree."

[Quote originally from Majmu` Fatawa Shaykh 'l-Islam Ibn Taymiyah,
compiled by `Abd 'l-Rahman 'l-Asimi and his son Muhammad,
Riyadh, Vol. X, p. 82. English translation of this statement
from "Sufism and Shari`ah: A Study of Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi's
Effort to Reform Sufism" by Muhammad Abdul Haq Ansari,
published by the Islamic Foundation, 1986, p. 130.]

This is propaganda. Anyone who has read or heard about Ibn Taymiyyah rahimullah will know very well that he criticized their rituals and beliefs quite harshly.

Ibn Taymiyah was certainly not opposed to Sufism, though he did oppose
some of the statements of some Sufis, such as Ibn al-Arabi, while on the
other hand greatly praising other Sufis,

Ibn Al Arabi was a heretic and a kaafir. This has been agreed by the scholars of Ahl Us Sunnah. Only deviants associate with a person such as Ibn Al Arabi.

such as Shaykh Abdul-Qadir
al-Jilani. Ibn Taymiyah even wrote a commentary on Shaykh Abdul-Qadir
al-Jilani's collection of talks, "Futuh al-Ghayb," which he had much
praise for.

Abdul Qaadri Jeelani rahimullah was not a 'soofee' nor did he ever profess to be one. He was rather on manhaj of Salaf As Salih and has written books on Tawheed that run counter to what the Soofees hold.

Abdul Qaadir Jeelani rahimullah mentioned in his book that the saved sect is 'Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaa' and the rest are in the Fire. He also mentioned that the 'innovators' (which include the soofees) have nothing to do with 'Ahl us Sunnah Wal Jamaa'.

Where did he mention anything of praise of the Soofees ?

Sister Aapa, you have a lot of reading to do before you even consider defending or praising them. If you would know about their beliefs and their satanic rituals, you would distance yourself from them. They are nothing but devaints and this has been established among the scholars of Ahlus Sunnah during all time periods.

Wasalaamalaykum

az101

http://www.miraathpublications.net/
Subhanallah this website is not completely upon the Manhaj of the salaf.

Just because one says....

" I have been treated nicely by a sufi"

now makes this the path one should follow... Allahhu Akabr this is High level of Ignorance !!

Below some work upon Sufism and its misguidance by Dr.Salih-as-Salih (rahimahullaah)

@ Aapa : I think you need to learn more about what ibn Taymiyyah said about Sufism..

THE REFUTATION OF MANY OF THE SUFI AHAADEETH BY SHEIKHUL ISLAM IBN TAYMIYYAH

Click :

http://allaahuakbar.net/sufism/refutation_of_many_of_the_sufi.htm
-----------------

read below an example of the garbage Sufism promotes in some of their books..

Ash-Sha'raanee narrates about the miracles of al-'Ajmee saying: “His gaze fell
upon a dog, so all other dogs submitted to that one and took it as their chief
and people used to come to it for the fulfillment of their needs. Then when
that dog fell ill all the other dogs gathered around it weeping and when it died
they wept openly and howled their lamentations. So Allaah, the Most High,
inspired in some of the people that they should bury it. Then the dogs used to
visit its grave until they died. So this was what one glance did for a dog,
imagine if his glance had fallen upon a person. [Hadhihi Hiyas-Soofiyyah (p.113),
at-Tabaqaat (2/61) in the biography of al-'Ajamee
].

oh and Ash-Sha'raanee also claims that his chief Ahmad al-Badawee has control over the universe from his grave

Attachments

• Sufism-Origin and Development.pdf
    600.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 01- Realities of Sufism - part 1.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 02- Realities of Sufism - part 2.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 03- Realities of Sufism - part 3.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.