what if a muslim ran for US president?

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i know that a lot of members on tti aren't from the US, so you may not be up to date on our political affairs here. we are now in the campaign season for electing a new president in November '08. well, one of the candidates mitt romney is a mormon and many of the christian groups hate mormons and claim that they never could vote for a mormon. yet when people don't want to be a part of christian things, they cry discrimination. the evangelicals are really trying to run the country. every candidate has to pass a religious litmus test even if the non religious candidate is more qualified. they are no different in a lot of ways to the taliban which they claim to be oppresive.

this isn't a thread to bash evangelicals, but they are very intolerant. we in america are free from religious rulers. we need quality leaders not quality preachers. so after seeing all of their hatred and distrust for mormons. i wonder how they would react if a muslim ran for president. recently, they have been trying to smear barack obama, saying that he's a muslim; despite the fact that he confesses to be a christian. they're using islam or him being a muslim to scare the american people into not voting for him. i think it's disgraceful.

what are your ideas on a muslim president. i'm interested to hear your views.

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member

would depend. I dont know if i would like him. Many politicians, and i've been around some, they have to rely on underhand methods and comprimise a LOT of things i just wouldn't be OK with.

I dont see christians voting for a true Muslim as President... when we dont really believe in separation of "church and state" Islaam is life and there's nothing more important.

I can just imagine. A brother... with a beard, pants above ankles, humble, kind, praying in the middle of a meeting that was arranged, declining shaking female hands, avoiding femle eyecontact / being alone in same room, being able to rule by Islaam cos if ur going to be a Muslim how do you just... yeck i dont know...

I CANT picture it somehow. Is it just my imagination?

wasalam

riz_1982

:salam2:Its all politics. I have come to see Politics is all the same in America like the third world countries. But my personell opinion a muslim should not even try to become the president of America. All of these presidents confess that thier faith and its ruling is bound within the church. It will never interfere with his decision making for the state. Well a muslim cannot do that. In Islam religon and state they are not seperate.
that's only my personell opinion......

If we really want to see a muslim president then we should work at the grass root level. Spread the word of Allah, which is the most important duty assigned to every muslim. Make Islam such a dominent power that we can ammend the laws the Islamic way. :wasalam:

ajazz

assalamualikum!

Muslim for us president?
Not possible at present or near future because no person in us can become president without jewish support.

Former President Jimmy Carter once said that the Israeli lobby was so powerful that "no one could become President without their support".

Former President George Bush(senior) hinted at the power of the Israeli lobby by saying "there are powerful forces out there"

Former US President Richard Nixon on Jewish control of the media
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fc4_1186337814

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Barak O'bama has a Muslim Parent (s), don;t know his full history, but it's a start

chaandani

Goofy Member
I can just imagine. A brother... with a beard, pants above ankles, humble, kind, praying in the middle of a meeting that was arranged, declining shaking female hands, avoiding femle eyecontact / being alone in same room, being able to rule by Islaam cos if ur going to be a Muslim how do you just... yeck i dont know...

I CANT picture it somehow. Is it just my imagination?

Not just your imagination. It's just not possible. Sad, but true.

The US is a "Christian" country. There is no separation of church and state anymore. (How do you think Bush won a second term...) And with all the fear and misunderstanding about Islam, I don't think a Muslim canidate would get very many non-Muslim votes.

Asides from that, US politics is just a bunch of poop in my opinion. Secrets, lies, scandals...and cowboys. Exactly everything that I don't want in the White House. :angryblue:

ajazz

Barak O'bama has a Muslim Parent (s), don;t know his full history, but it's a start

Book Excerpt: Barack Obama

"when I was 2 years old; in any event, although my father had been raised a Muslim, by the time he met my mother he was a confirmed atheist, thinking religion to be so much superstition."

"In our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology. On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the Chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites"

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1546298,00.html

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

Not just your imagination. It's just not possible. Sad, but true.
I dont think an American Muslim president is what we should be thinking about really, what would be nice though...is a proper Muslim leader (as samiha described) leading one the muslim countries right now!

That would be a good start I think :rolleyes:

dianek

OK......well here is my two cents worth......I really don't like the idea of ANY religious group being in control of our country. We do not need them preaching to the massess one way or the other or causing mishaps in the world in our name. I, personally, would not mind seeing an Atheist in office. They tend to be more humanitarian in nature and do not judge people based on religion and are the true nature of being tolerant. And we know that Christians nor Muslims can be in office without putting their religion in the mix.

Now do I think that one day it will be possible for our country to have a muslim leader? There is currently a Muslim from Tennessee in the Senate or Congress....one of the two. Here he is, an african american muslim from a redneck good old boy state......part of the KKK history and he was elected to office.....I would say anything is possible. Just might take some time is all. I think people need to give Americans more credit. We can see beyond a person's faith to see their character........unfortunately like Bush, some people have so much money they can "fix" races. I was watching a commentator last night who said that it is a fact that Muslim countries want to take over American and put Shariah law in place. This upset me that he would say this. To generalize all Muslims is wrong, especially when so many of us are Americans. I don't think Shariah law would work here first of all because there are so many militian men who are just waiting to fight the government and this would give them reason. Too bad they don't see now that they have no rights under Bush, which is there concern.....losing their constitutional rights.

As for who is running now.........I am voting Hillary because, well, I just really like her and really believe a woman can do some good in this country. It takes a Clinton to clean up behind a Bush,as done in the past. I am hoping Barack will end up being her running mate as VP.......but if the person has to be republican, I would like Ron Paul to be put in office. He supports cutting our hold over Israel or their hold over us rather. Either way I think ALL AMERICANS want change in our world and reparation to the world.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
hmm...

OK......well here is my two cents worth......I really don't like the idea of ANY religious group being in control of our country. We do not need them preaching to the massess one way or the other or causing mishaps in the world in our name.
George Bush has certainly caused mishaps yes, because he believes hes been given a mission from Jesus Christ himself to rid the world of evil..
Islam is definitely theocratic. But muslims have had far more success in implementing shariah law than christians have done in ruling by the bible in the past I think there would be less mishaps.

I, personally, would not mind seeing an Atheist in office. They tend to be more humanitarian in nature and do not judge people based on religion and are the true nature of being tolerant. And we know that Christians nor Muslims can be in office without putting their religion in the mix.
Athiests have no moral compass...say Richard Dawkins was in office or something................:p that would be disasterous, Dawkins judges, he judges alot, (just using him as an example) one of the most prominent ideas in his book, was that parents must stop teaching children about religion, religion is the root of humanity and morality - athiests reject it, what do they have left of such values then?

Now do I think that one day it will be possible for our country to have a muslim leader? There is currently a Muslim from Tennessee in the Senate or Congress....one of the two. Here he is, an african american muslim from a redneck good old boy state......part of the KKK history and he was elected to office.....I would say anything is possible. Just might take some time is all. I think people need to give Americans more credit.
yeh totally - i think people tend to underestimate americans these days :p but still, all human beings are susceptible to fear and therfore, make easy targets for propaganda as long as muslims are feared as the 'enemy' contemplating the answer to this thread hinges 100% on 'what if??'

As for who is running now.........I am voting Hillary because, well, I just really like her and really believe a woman can do some good in this country. It takes a Clinton to clean up behind a Bush,as done in the past. I am hoping Barack will end up being her running mate as VP.......but if the person has to be republican, I would like Ron Paul to be put in office. He supports cutting our hold over Israel or their hold over us rather. Either way I think ALL AMERICANS want change in our world and reparation to the world
That end note - yeh I agree with you.

salam alaikum

dianek

George Bush has certainly caused mishaps yes, because he believes hes been given a mission from Jesus Christ himself to rid the world of evil..
Islam is definitely theocratic. But muslims have had far more success in implementing shariah law than christians have done in ruling by the bible in the past I think there would be less mishaps.

Athiests have no moral compass...say Richard Dawkins was in office or something................:p that would be disasterous, Dawkins judges, he judges alot, (just using him as an example) one of the most prominent ideas in his book, was that parents must stop teaching children about religion, religion is the root of humanity and morality - athiests reject it, what do they have left of such values then?

yeh totally - i think people tend to underestimate americans these days :p but still, all human beings are susceptible to fear and therfore, make easy targets for propaganda as long as muslims are feared as the 'enemy' contemplating the answer to this thread hinges 100% on 'what if??'

That end note - yeh I agree with you.

salam alaikum

I never heard of Richard Dawkins.......I base my opinion on those Atheists that I know. They want world peace, humane treatment of all people and hold themselves accountable for what they do in their lives. That is why I would not mind one in office. From what I have seen they let their conscience guide them and the ones I know, I have pretty pure intentions in the world. That is all I meant about them. Shucks.......let's put a buddist in office........anything but another misguided idiot like Bush.

barak obama used to b a muslim...infact he used to study at an islamic school in indonesia but then he converted to christianity....the only muslim guy in the us senate is keith ellison

gazkour

assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

"As for who is running now.........I am voting Hillary..."

I know that Islam curses the nation that is run by a woman, but I don't have the hadith here, can someone provide it for me please?

As for the rest, if there was a muslim presidential candidate, he definetely would not make it! It's a country run by christians and jews!

palestine

Servant of Allah
Barack Obama's father was muslim. and barack said he attended islamic school at the age of 6, afterwards he didn't want to be a muslim. a kuffar is a kuffar. anyways, i believe muslims will take over most of the nations of the world. i wouldn't say that their would be a muslim president NOW, in these few coming years, but after that i believe that they will take over everywhere and they'll be free of oppression and they'll live in peace. and our president will be a muslim one inshaAllah. those are my hopes. salam.