What's the point?

sal12

Assalamu alaykum,
This Muslim guy at work told me that he does not hold all of his fasts because he's not very religious and also he has to train for his rowing competitions! lol subhanallah! Then he said he doesn't see the point of fasting. He actually said, what's the point? How do I answer this keeping it short and sweet? I know that it is to help us to control ourselves regarding food, sex, money and to be grateful to Allah for the blessings He has bestowed upon us and in turn Allah gives us the chance to increase our rewards as He multiplies the rewards etc. But this sounds so cliche so how can I answer him without it sounding cliche and without him still thinking what's the point?

Jazakallahu khayran

island muslim

Assalamu alaykum,
This Muslim guy at work told me that he does not hold all of his fasts because he's not very religious and also he has to train for his rowing competitions! lol subhanallah! Then he said he doesn't see the point of fasting. He actually said, what's the point? How do I answer this keeping it short and sweet? I know that it's too help us control ourselves regarding food, sex, money and to be grateful to Allah for the blessings He has bestowed upon us and in turn Allah gives us the chance to increase our rewards as He multiplies the rewards etc. But this sounds so cliche so how can I answer him without him sounding cliche and without him still thinking what's the point?

Jazakallahu khayran

Wa Alaiykum Salaam Warahmatallah

Sister how about a simple verse from the quran??

"The messenger believeth in that which hath been revealed unto him from his Lord and (so do) the believers. Each one believeth in Allah and His angels and His scriptures and His messengers--We make no distinction between any of His messengers--and they say: We hear, and we obey. (Grant us) Thy forgiveness, our Lord. Unto Thee is the journeying." (Surah Al Baqarah 2:285)

sal12

Because, realistically how many non-religious born muslims take what is in the Quran for granted? If you don't fear Allah like the guy at work, a quote from the Quran will not change his views because he has most likely heard the ayah before. But I will still quote it and then explain it because I could be wrong about him!

Jazakallahu khayr for your reply

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

There is a Fatwa in Fatawa Islamiyah in relation to the Virtues of Fasting. Would you like me to post an excerpt of it as it covers the virtue of Taraweeh as well?

Maybe this will show the brother the importance of Fasting and that it's not just pointless.

Walaykum Salam

Zafran

Muslim Brother
salaam

tell the muslim to read the Quran in a transaltion that he understands - Trust me a lot of born muslims (non - religious) havent read the Quran but just follow what there parents believe.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Fasting is Only for Allah. We do it for Him and Him only. He might be going through a decrease in Iman or something might be going on in his life that we do not know about. I would direct him to some Quran verses on fasting and some Hadiths, I am sure someone will post them inshallah or you can just do a search. Just keep talking to him and inshallah he will see "THE POINT".

ALLAH KNOWS BEST

:wasalam:

abu'muhammad

sister,

I would advice that he should be given with some book/writing about ramadaan. It should be such that he could read easily - short and precise. InshaAllah, it would help in his aqeedah and understanding.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum Wa'Rahmatullahi Wa'Barakatuh,

Sister, i have posted the Fatwa i mentioned in my first post in this thread, in the Ramadhan & Eid al-Fitr section. Here is the thread:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39517

You can take bits you feel are relevant but i feel it would be best to show him the whole thing and the biography of the Shaykh if the brother doesn't know about Shaykh Abdullah bin Baz (Rahimahullaah).

There is a still remaining portion to post which i haven't add yet, it is entirely up to you if you want to wait for that bit, but never the less i will be posting it.

Walaykum Salaam Wa'Rahmatullahi Wa'Barakatuh

island muslim

Jazakallahu khayran for all of your replies!
May allah open the heart of the misguided brother you are giving dawa to back to Islam.
Sister, just one word of sincere advise. Keep in mind that allah guides who he wills in the end no matter how much we try :)

Almaas

I remeber reading in tafseer that Allah says ''I listen to everyone of your duas, so listen to this command''...it's something like that. You could also mention this as it holds a strong point.

I hope that you inshAllah get through to the brother.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Ask him what is the point of being a Muslim if you do not follow Allah's orders, and Allah's order is to fast, pray, give zakah and so on. just ask him and see what he replies with. salam.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Suppose his boss at work told him to do some task and he couldn't see the point of it, would he not do it? Of course he'd do it anyway because he doesn't want to be fired. Lucky for him, God doesn't fire us! He gives us an entire lifetime to do the simple things He asks us to do, such as stopping eating a few hours a day a few days a year, or bowing down to Him in thanks a few minutes a day. Simple things that, unlike this man's boss, do not benefit Him, only benefits us humans.

Your colleague has stepped away from God, so Satan stepped in! Pray for him that he finds his way back to God because any other place is too cold.

yeah i second this post. forget mine, please use this one. it's great and would make him see the point of fasting. in someway. salam.