Woman wins right to Mecca trip

islamirama

www.netmuslims.com

BY TINA SFONDELES - October 13, 2011

A Muslim woman has won her fight against a west suburban school district after being denied unpaid leave to go on a religious pilgrimage to Mecca.

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday announced it settled Safoorah Khan’s religious discrimination lawsuit against the Berkeley School District, forcing the district to pay $75,000 in lost back pay, compensatory damages and attorneys’ fees.

The district also will have to develop a policy accommodating religions consistent with the Civil Rights Acts to ensure something similar will not happen again.

Khan, a teacher at MacArthur Middle School, requested an unpaid leave of absence in December 2008 to perform hajj — a pilgrimage required by Islam — but was told she had to choose between her job and her religious beliefs. She resigned.

“I’m glad that we settled and I hope this does set a precedent,” Khan said. “I hope they realize that hajj means a lot to Muslims and there will be more and more people taking the trip. I hope this helps people and their employers to accommodate Muslims and their requests.”

According to the settlement, the district must also provide mandatory training on religious accommodations to all board of education members and school supervisors.

Khan, now 30, says she went to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, the year she resigned.

“It’s required once in our lifetime at the earliest opportunity you can get,” she said.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
:salam2:

:ma:

Thank you for sharing this news,
brother.
:jazaak:

~May Allah swt help,protect and guide all muslims~Amin!

Take care,
~Wassalam :)

jonas1993

Banned

BY TINA SFONDELES - October 13, 2011

A Muslim woman has won her fight against a west suburban school district after being denied unpaid leave to go on a religious pilgrimage to Mecca.

The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday announced it settled Safoorah Khan’s religious discrimination lawsuit against the Berkeley School District, forcing the district to pay $75,000 in lost back pay, compensatory damages and attorneys’ fees.

The district also will have to develop a policy accommodating religions consistent with the Civil Rights Acts to ensure something similar will not happen again.

Khan, a teacher at MacArthur Middle School, requested an unpaid leave of absence in December 2008 to perform hajj — a pilgrimage required by Islam — but was told she had to choose between her job and her religious beliefs. She resigned.

“I’m glad that we settled and I hope this does set a precedent,” Khan said. “I hope they realize that hajj means a lot to Muslims and there will be more and more people taking the trip. I hope this helps people and their employers to accommodate Muslims and their requests.”

According to the settlement, the district must also provide mandatory training on religious accommodations to all board of education members and school supervisors.

Khan, now 30, says she went to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, the year she resigned.

“It’s required once in our lifetime at the earliest opportunity you can get,” she said.

this is good news indeed! I am glad they reconciled this in the interest of the womans freedom of religion and rights to not be discriminated against!

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
I'm not surprised that her job was unhappy with her taking time to perform the hajj, but I'm shocked that they went forward to keel her from going. Employers in America are very very careful to not get themselves in these type of incidents because they know that these things can lead to lawsuits. I remember a few years ago when I hinted to my old boss that I was intending to perform hajj in the near future, and I remember her saying that it would have to be years before I would be able to go, because hajj for the past few years had been around November and December time frame and that time was too busy for anyone in retail to take vacations at that time. I let them know that they couldn't keep me from going for religious observations under the law. They were of the attitude of, go at another time or when I'm older. They don't realize something important that all Muslims are constantly reminded of: death. We Muslims do not live lives thinking that we are guaranteed to have tomorrow, so we can't have the mentality of going to hajj when we're older. We may never get the chance to be over. Praise Allah, that we have the correct belief.