Working in a BANK!!!

islam4lyf

Happy 2 b a muslim!!
Salaams,

I would just like to know if it is permissible to work in a bank?

If anyone has any info about this then please could you share it with me!!! i really need to know.

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Working in a riba-based (interest-based) bank

Question:
Aslamoaliakum.

I have been offered a job at a Bank, and I am not sure whether I should work there or not, because the bank makes money from interest (Riba). Please tell me whether working there is allowed (Jaaiz), or not.

jazaakum-Allah-khair.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

You will find the answer in the hadeeth of Jaabir, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "The Messenger of Allaah cursed the one who consumes riba (interest or usury), the one who gives it, the one who writes it down and the one who witnesses it. He said: 'All of them are equal in sin.'" (Reported by Muslim, may Allaah have mercy on him, in his Saheeh, no. 1598)

Commenting on this hadeeth, al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: This is clearly a prohibition of the writing down or witnessing of a contract between the two parties involved in a riba-based deal. It also includes a prohibition of helping others to commit wrong acts. And Allaah knows best.

It is inevitable that the employee in a riba-based bank will play a part in riba dealings one way or another, even if he is just a security guard. Maybe Allaah will help you, my brother, if you are patient, to find halaal employment. (Interpretation of the meaning) "… And whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty)." [al-Talaaq 65:2]

Shaykh al-Barraak
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=866&ln=eng&txt=working in a bank

'the one who witnesses it'......

i do not understand ... we all know that the bank gives riba then does that mean we r equal in sin ???

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Do we all sign as witnesses on the loan agreement papers of the bank ? No.

It is for thise people who sign as witnesses on the loan...

For example in the country that I live in many Muslim builders do that in order to sell their apartments to people who buy them with bank loans.

:salam2:
May find this usefull inshallah

Working in a riba-based bank without directly dealing with riba and depositing money in such a bank

Question:
I work in a bank in a particular country, in a department that does not deal with riba-based transactions, but the central bank does deal with interest and it is a government foundation. What is the ruling on working in this bank? I hope you can advise me

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Your working in this bank is haraam, even if you are in a department which does not deal with riba-based transactions. It is sufficient to note that the “central bank” is the head bank and working in the other departments complements the work of the sections that do deal with riba; the bank is formed from all the departments and all the institutions connected to it are engaged in riba.

The scholars have stated that it is not permissible to work even as a guard or driver for such institutions, so how about working as a teller or clerk?

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is not permissible to work in a riba-based institution even if a person is working as a driver or guard, because that means that he is working for the riba-based institution, which implies that he approves of it. For whoever disapproves of a thing would not work to support it, so if he is working for it that implies that he approves of it, and the one who approves of something that is haraam is also guilty of sin.

But if he is directly involved in recording transactions, writing, sending and depositing etc, then he is undoubtedly dealing directly with something haraam. It was proven in the hadeeth of Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who consumes riba, the one who pays it, the two who witness it and the one who writes it down. He said: “They are all the same.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah. 2/401

The Standing Committee was asked about a man who worked as a night guard for one of the banks, and he had nothing to do with the bank’s transactions – should he continue with this job or leave?

They replied:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to work as a guard for banks that deal with riba, because this is a kind of cooperating in sin and transgression, and Allaah has forbidden that as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but do not help one another in sin and transgression”

[al-Maa'idah 5:2]

Most of the banks deal with riba, so you have to look for a halaal means of earning a living, not this way.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 2/401, 402

And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Link:: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&QR=21113
:wasalam:

islam4lyf

Happy 2 b a muslim!!
Salams

thnx for the replys!! im not working in a bank i took advice from the ones that said its best not to!!

jazakhallah everyone for taking time out to reply !!

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i hate ribaa!!! sadly, many of us muslims here in the west, get caught up in some way shape or form when it comes to ribaa. i wouldn't be able to work in a ribaa based bank, but i would be able to work for a bank such as AMANA or HIDAYA etc.

i find it very interesting that the current economic crisis taking place in america, is really taking place because of ribaa based businesses.

the more i understand or learn about islam, the more i see how the shaytan tries to make the lives of the believers very difficult. ribaa is one of the biggest contributors to our hardships. in america our mass transit system isn't as put together as the london underground or the french metro, so a lot of us depend on cars rather than on buses or trains. most cars on average run about $20,000 or more; which the average american does not have readily available; which means that they'll need to take a loan; which is usually interest based.

apartment/flat costs are through the roof and many of us are paying $1000+ a month for a one bedroom apartment, yet we can get a mortgage for a 3 or 4 bedroom home for $1400 a month; but of course it's interest based. so i know muslim familes that have 5 or 6 kids, grandparents and parents living in a 2 bedroom apartment. which any city will say is illegal. and the muslim is only doing this to avoid using ribaa. i feel as if the whole thing is a plot to keep muslims away and to keep them in poverty.
:wasalam:

Almeftah

you can only work in an Islamic bank, for most banks are "ribawi" dont aply islamic rules.

such islamic banks i know of, there's Bobian bank, Kuwait financial house, and Al Ahli bank..etc.

SuperBaas

Banks

Slms,

- got retrenched last year
- received 3 months pay
- had 3 offers from banks within the 1st month of being without a job
- Before accepting, called some scholars
- Put the phone down and immediately called and canceled the offers
- 6 months passed without finding a job
- Wife was pitching in with money to keep us going
- I started using money from our savings to get by
- Wife fell pregnant Alhumdullilah
- Sept 2007 received news that my wife and I were included in the quota to go for Hajj
- She took a reduction in her 4 month maternity leave and set aside days for the hajj
- Sold my Car to pay for some of the hajj expenses
- Sent out 2 Applications before I left
- Went for Hajj Alhumdullilah
- 1 Hour after I returned from Hajj, still dazed and sleepy from the plane ride I got a phone call.
- Guess what it was for.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Assalaamu alaikum,

does that mean that you cant even work as a bank teller?? I am just wondering.

Working in banks isn't allowed - even as a security guard. So a teller, of course, if not allowed either.

This whole working in banks business is quite a fitnah for me. Before I used to really practice properly and before I even knew that working with riba was haraam, I got a degree with a minor in Finance - people from a bank once came to our classroom to recruit students, and they gave us all a written test. Due to a very tiny silly thing (they hadn't said we could start the exam yet, nor did they say not to open the exam, but I'd curiously flipped the first page open), the bank person looked at me and sent me out of the classroom. So all my friends went off to work at banks, and after around a year, I too got an interview call from a bank and got the job. Alhamdulillah though, everything went horrible and terrible from Day 1 - my training session was cancelled at the last minute, and I literally mean, last minute - I'd travelled 200 miles to another city with my stuff packed and only found out when I went to the hotel to check in that it was cancelled. Then later on, when I started work, things kept happening to only me that made me start hating the job more and more, and in the end, after two months working there, I quit on my own. Now looking back, I realize that Allah had been protecting me, and things I thought were just horrible were in fact blessings for me.

Though ever since, I've been pressured from everyone - friends, relatives, strangers, family to work in a bank everywhere I go! I always have refused since. There was one instance where one acquaintance stood next to me, and had me fill out a bank job application while she looked over at me doing it. She didn't believe that working in banks was haraam, so I filled out the application praying that I wouldn't get the job, and alhamdulillah within a week, I get an email saying the position has been cancelled.

Anyway, yes, so.. it's not allowed.

msmoorad

mommys boy
salaams to all

working in a bank is not permitted for muslims.
Yes. if you are extremely poor & you cant find another job, -you are in very dire circumstances.
then it would be permissible- and u should still look for another job. as soon as u find another job- even if its less money, no benefits etc- you leave working in the bank.

those sisters who work in banks, without it being absolutely necessary for them to be working in the first place, are committing a double sin.

this is what ive heard from Hanafi scholars.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah