ZAKAT

Abu.Amirah

Assalamu aleikum,

Ramadhan kareem to you all and may our Saum be accepted.....Amin!

I have a question regarding paying of Zakat and hope members here will shade some light for me Inshallah!

We have a muslim society which was formed in 2006 and the main objective was to help our fellow brothers who are needy. As you know here in Africa there are some part which has alot of poverty and its our duty to help them by building mosques,paying school fees etc etc.
Now here comes an interesting part, we members every month we pay a subscription of 500 kenya shillings each. This money is being used to help the needy people but its not for ourselves.
So the money raised is more than 2yrs now and like I said this is not our money we can say its like baitul maal (correct me if am wrong) so the question comes here..... are we supposed to pay ZAKAT for this money?:??

Please advice :lol:

Jazakallahu kheir!! :tti_sister:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2:

I think you need scholarly advice. You can visit the website www.islamqa.com. Leave your question and inshallah you'll get help. Salam

:salam2: i totally agree with brother hassana elkoussi...

just try to contact an imam...may be a local one also...

indeed thank you for posting such a beautiful question...inshaALLAH I will try to find its answer by meeting a sholar...

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

Abu.Amirah

shukran Brothertainy :lol:

I did go to that website and search for that topic and did not find it and I wanted to post a question whereby it wont let me i was suprised or maybe the questions can be posted in specific days and time?
Well indeed its a good question whereby it will help us all here to understand better where ZAKAT is applicable.

So am still searching and inshallah if I do succeed to get the answers will post them here as well :)

Jazakallahu kheir!

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Sorry if this answer is a bit late, but I just noticed it.

Money that has been put in a charitable fund to give loans to the needy or to help them in emergencies such as accidents etc, is not subject to zakaah, because it is money that does not belong to a particular individual, so it is like waqf funds, and no zakaah is due on it.

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked: One of the tribes acquired a lot of money and they set this money aside specifically for blood claims that may be made against this tribe, and they used this money in business, and the profits made go back into the same fund. Is this money subject to zakaah or not? If they did not use it for business, would it be subject to zakaah or not? Can the tribe itself pay their zakaah on its wealth to this fund?

They replied: If the matter is as described, there is no zakaah on the money mentioned, because it comes under the heading of a waqf, whether it lies idle or is used in business. It is not permissible to pay zakaah to this fund, because it is not allocated to the poor or to any of the other categories who are entitled to receive zakaah.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (8/291).

They were also asked: A charitable fund has been set up for tribal members, so as to meet needs that may arise, such as blood claims and the like, Allaah forbid. Then this money was invested in some Islamic bank. Is zakaah due on it or not?

They replied:

If the matter is as described and the money that was donated will not be returned to those from whom it was collected, and if the project fails it will be spent on other charitable causes, then no zakaah is due on it. But if it will be returned to those from whom it was collected in the event of the project failing, then zakaah must be paid by every individual according to his share in that fund, if it reaches the nisaab and one year has passed. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (8/296).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said about a village charity where the people paid money into the fund every month so as to help in the event of accidents, diyah claims and loans for those who needed to get married: These funds are not subject to zakaah, because they do not belong to the participants and they are not the property of a specific individual. There is no zakaah on that which does not belong to a specific individual. End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (18/184).

IslamQA

Abu.Amirah

:wasalam: :SMILY139:

Shukran Brother Happy 2BA Muslim :shake:,You are not late in replying but we learn all the way we go in our live's. Your posting is correct I did ask some some of the Imams in my region and our gr8 Kadhi and I got the same answers. This money as long is not for individuals or is a non profit organisation then its not subjected to Zakat.The money belongs to everyone who will need help.
Shukran all for your efforts May Allah bless this ummah and guide us all the right way......Amin!! :tti_sister:

Jazakallahu kheir!! :SMILY61: