• Yes

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 80 54.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 15.8%

• Total voters

Ferrari1981

This is a NEW statistics boards which has been provided so please make your poll votes now and see what the majority feel about cousin marriages as this will help the outcome and understanding of what people think of this sensitive topic...

PLEASE VOTE ...

[This is a research conducted on my behalf so please be honest and dont lie just so you could defeat the whole point of this thread!]

As its a controversial topic, you have dicuss this generally or in regards to first cousins? Viote then post why you chose the above and the reasons behind it.

Islam does allow tribal marriages as it happened during the Prophet (pbuh) time but personally how would you feel marrying your own cousin you were either raised with or a distant relation?

Also your opinions on marrying inter racial families i.e. Indian, Pakistani, Bengaldeshi etc... and also marriage outside your religon... this information would be useful...

Ma'asalaama

cpeloewetse

it depends

Salam walaykum. I am a convert so my family members are not muslims, but if one of my cousins did convert I might consider marrying them, only because I already know them, and it would be easy in terms of marriage to trust them, and since they are family they already know how to protect me and that sort of thing. But I would kind of feel uneasy about it, because ive seen some articles that say that if you intermarry to close to your own family you children may have some genetic problems, even though it is halal.
I dont see anything wrong with interacial marriages, were all human beings afterall. I grew up in a multicultural environment and I really dont see the difference in marrying someone of the same race or of a different race. And especially since I became muslim Im really begining to see that race is really in our minds, if we all learnt to look past it, the world would be a better place.
I really would like to marry a muslim, I am open to marrying someone that would sincerely convert to Islam. I hope I answered all the questions.
:salam2:

liaqat

hi

salam
this is a very good topic .
i don;t find anything wrong in marrying a cousin . totally depend's on the people .
if both are happy then it;s fine .
i know now a day's the west try and show it as incest.
but when havethe west ever shown anything positive about islam.

lost

I'm not muslim, but have been considering it. So I dont know how valid my opinion is. But I thought I'd give it anyway...
As an american who has grown up in a typical american way, besides that there are very few people of other races than my own where I come from, I personally think that it doesn't matter who you marry as long as you both are happy. (Although I am a little against same-sex marriage.) So yes, I think it's perfectly fine to marry your cousin, as long as you're up for the emotional challenges you might encounter while living in America and other countries where it is usually thought of as incest.

As for inter-racial marriage, to me...there is no question about whether it's right or wrong. Again, you can and should marry whoever will treat you best and make you happy. Despite his/her prior relationship to you or their race.

hope this helps...

nice subject.
I want just to say that for the word "race" doesn't exist in islam and also today in biology and human sciences this word was banned because it makes distinction between people.
my answer about marriage is this :
"O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allâh is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e. one of the Muttaqûn (pious - see V.2:2). Verily, Allâh is All-Knowing, All-Aware."
Sourate N°49 verse n°13
Wa Allaho A'lame

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:wasalam:

Islam encourages people to marry those who are good Muslims and have good personality and character. Race, and Tribes etc do not matter.

As for cousin marriage, Islam only states that it is allowed. That doesnt mean it is a prescribed thing or anything. Unfortunately, in some parts of the world, some cultures put extra restrictions on marriage which break Islamic rules.

wasalam.

Muslima22

hello everyone

I clicked 'no' in the poll because I don't like any of my cousins...........not because I am against ppl marrying their cousins if they both really want to. I don't think its incest and the british governement allows it and to be honest you can have lots of problems in families where the parents are not related at all. I don't think it really is dependent on that. If it was really bad then i doubt Allah would have allowed it in the first place!!

B.H.

As far as marriage is concerned, I oppose what Allah opposes and support what Allah allows.

B.H.

I have read that people who marry cousins have a rather high marriage success rate. They already know each other, what they like and don't like, their own strengths and weaknesses, and have a common value bond.

I have also read that there is not as much tension between the spouse and inlaws because they are all related anyway and knew each other before hand well.

3assal

I think marriage is good as long as it follows what Allah has ordered for us. My only concern will be the well being of the children born to this type of marriage. There is a higher rate of abnormalities in children born to parents who are somewhat related. :( (this is why I voted no)

Beko29

Im LoViNg It.. ISLAM

Brother B.H

in Denmark where i live, the most of the Moslims familie married there kids to there cousin on force, cause they want them to Europe.:astag: and we have a lot of divorce her of that reson,Parents dont think of its haram just that they want to help AND BRING THEM TO eUROPE for a better life,(so is europe really so great?? no its not) thats why i voted no. they dont think of there owen kids fellings. but im sure if the cousins married cause of love and there on will they willl have a great marrie. thats why i say yes.

B.H.

I understand what you are saying. It is wrong to make people marry against their will and of course it is understandable they would divorce later. I was thinking of a situation where the marriage is made freely of their own will.

muslimaha

aslamu alekum to all
i clicked 'no' to the question as well. speaking on my behalf i don't think it's good idea to marry your cousin and i wouldn't marry my cousin even though allah swt made it okey. it jsut my opinion...
there's nothing wrong with it if the two people are okey with the idea!!
w'salam

rameezmahmood

all good:)

salam

i personally think it might be alrite to marry a cousin... i mean its even better because god doesn't prohibit it ... and you know the person and almost grew up with them... if u can find the connection i think its alrite :) its not like they are a sister or brother.............. that would be odd haha

Abu.Amirah

W/S

interesting topic.Well according to Quran in sura Annisaa aya 23,Allah clearly tells us those people whom we are not allowed to marry.

Its allowed to marry your cousin but not the parents as those will be your Aunty and Uncle.

Its true that when you marry a cousin ,like one of us said , it makes the marriage to success as you already know one another.Each one of you will know the weakness of the other....But it doesnt mean if you marry from outside your marriage will not succeed.The important thing like Mabsoot said...its important to marry by following the teaching of the Prophets (s.a.w) ...Look for someone who is God fearing and with this you will surely live a good life.

Another thing is that its good to marry outside your family as you combine 2families to be as one and people becomes to know one another and love will spread through the families.What i meant here is that the Islam will be growing faster.

Jazakallahu kheir!

audie7476

I voted "undecided" :biggrin:
If I was in a situation to marry my cousin, I would perform istikharah prayer to seek Allah's Guidance before giving my decision. I would also ask my parents to do the istikharah prayer.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam

I agree wit sister muslima22, i would rather not marry a cousin, especially mine... and not because I am against cousins marrying each other. Its jus the way i feel toward mine...insha-allah, allah swt ordains us all good future partners..
Allah swt knows best..

W/salaam

Abu.Amirah

I just want to add more on this issue,Please dont use "Abnormalities" as you will make people to be afraid and even break peoples heart if they want to marry the cousins.Allah (s.w) is the creator of all of us and He will give anyone of us those kinda children even if you marry someone outside your families.In my family most of us are married to the cousins and Alhamdulillah we dont have even a single abnormal child.So dont judge by the science false statements as know one knows better than Allah.
Its not a must to marry your cousin its your own will because it will be your life with him/her for a long time.So if the idea of marrying the cousin doesnt tally with your head then dont make others to feel the same it will be as if they feel its wrong to do that.
:jazaak:

3assal

Abu.Amirah said:

I just want to add more on this issue,Please dont use "Abnormalities" as you will make people to be afraid and even break peoples heart if they want to marry the cousins.Allah (s.w) is the creator of all of us and He will give anyone of us those kinda children even if you marry someone outside your families.In my family most of us are married to the cousins and Alhamdulillah we dont have even a single abnormal child.So dont judge by the science false statements as know one knows better than Allah.
Its not a must to marry your cousin its your own will because it will be your life with him/her for a long time.So if the idea of marrying the cousin doesnt tally with your head then dont make others to feel the same it will be as if they feel its wrong to do that.
:jazaak:

I am sorry you think I am trying to scare other people. :astag: I was not trying to do this. In this topic, we were asked our opinion and I simply stated mine. I strongly believe this because I have seen many people who are closely related, they have a happy marriage, and some have a beautiful family and healthy children. Others, are not so fortunate, as you can see in the following link,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4442010.stm

3assal