How Many Characteristics of a Believer do You Have?

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah

By Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan as-Sa’dee [d.1376H]

Allaah, the Exalted says:

“Successful indeed are the believers. Those who offer their Salaat [prayers] with all solemnity and full submissiveness. And those who turn away from Al-Laghw [dirty, false, evil vain talk, falsehood, and all that Allaah has forbidden]. And those who pay the Zakaat. And those who guard their chastity [i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts] except from their wives or [the captives and slaves] that their right hands possess, for then, they are free from blame; But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors; Those who are faithfully true to their Amanaat [all the duties which Allaah has ordained, honesty, moral responsibility and trusts etc.] and to their covenants; And those who strictly guard their [five compulsory congregational] Salawaat [prayers] [at their fixed stated hours]. These are indeed the inheritors. Who shall inherit the Firdaus [Paradise]. They shall dwell therein forever.” [Al-Mu’minun 23:1-11]

Eight characteristics are mentioned herein and all of them inculcate faith and strengthen it just as they are also part and parcel of faith, the explanation of this has preceded.

The presence of heart in the prayer, the one praying striving to the utmost to have presence of mind with regards to what he says and does of recitation, remembrance, supplication, standing sitting, bowing and prostrating, all of these are from the causes that lead to the increase of faith and its strengthening. We have previously mentioned that Allaah, the Exalted has called the prayer faith with His words:

“And Allaah would never make your faith [prayers] to be lost [i.e. your prayers offered towards Jerusalem].” [Al-Baqarah 2:143]

Allaah, Exalted is He says:

“Perform As-Salaat [Iqamaat as-Salaat]. Verily, As-Salaat [the prayer] prevents from Al-Fahshaa’ [i.e. great sins of every kind, unlawful sexual intercourse, etc.] and Al-Munkar [i.e. disbelief, polytheism, and every kind of evil wicked deed, etc.] and the remembering [praising, etc.] of [you by] Allaah [in front of the angels] is greater indeed [than your remembering [praising, etc.].” [Al-‘Ankabut 29:45]

Therefore prayer is the greatest barrier preventing all indecent and evil actions which in turn negate faith. Prayer also includes that dhikr of Allaah which in turn nourishes and strengthens faith:

“…and the remembering [praising, etc.] of [you by] Allaah [in front of the angels] is greater indeed [than your remembering [praising, etc.].” [Al-‘Ankabut 29:45]

Giving in Zakaat also strengthens and increases faith, the obligatory and optional. The Prophet [sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam] said:

“Giving in sadaqah is a proof.” [1]

Meaning a proof of the faith of the one who gives it.

Turning away from worthless talk, meaning any speech containing no benefit and indeed any actions containing no benefit, leaving all evil in speech and action, without doubt is from those matters that are part of faith and serve to strengthen it. This is why the Companions, when they senses negligence in themselves, or they senses a disarray in their faith, they would say: “Sit with us and let us devote ourselves to faith for an hour” and they would sit, performing the dhikr of Allaah and making mention of His worldly and religious favours, thereby renewing their faith.

Abstaining from indecent actions, especially fornication is from amongst the greatest matters that strengthen and increase faith. This is because the true believer, because of his fear arising from the station he is to take before his Lord, prevents the soul from submitting to its base desires.

Honouring trusts and contracts and sticking fast to them is from the signs of faith. In the hadeeth there occurs:

“There is no faith for the one who possesses no honesty and trustworthiness.” [2]

Hence, if you wish to know the faith of a person and his religiousity, look to his condition, does he tend and look to his trusts and contracts – those related to property, words and the rights of others and his Lord. If you find him fulfilling these then he is a person of faith and religion. If not, his faith is defective in proportion to his negligence of the above matters.

The verses conclude by mentioning preserving the prayers, i.e. with respect to their regulations, their rights, and their times. This is because preserving these is like preserving the water that nourishes a resplendent garden, that garden being the garden of faith. The tree of faith is in need of being constantly tended to and nourished with water. This water is preserving the actions of obedience and worship that a servant does through the day, removing all that would inhibit and harm this of the weeds that grow around the tree – the weeds of sins in speech and action. When this happens the tree sprouts its diverse fruits.

Footnotes:

[1] A portion of a hadeeth reported by Muslim [#223]
[2] Reported by Ahmad [3/135, 154, 210, 251], Ibn Hibbaan [#47] and Ibn Abi Shaybah, al-Imaam [#7] and it is saheeh.

Transcribed [by islamictexts.wordpress.com] from: The Tree of Faith, Pgs. 57-59, by Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan as-Sa’dee [d.1376H], Translated by Abu Rumaysah, Published by Al-Hidaayah Publishing & Distribution

Isra

aka Tree2008

By Shaykh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan as-Sa’dee [d.1376H]

Allaah, the Exalted says:

“Successful indeed are the believers. Those who offer their Salaat [prayers] with all solemnity and full submissiveness. And those who turn away from Al-Laghw [dirty, false, evil vain talk, falsehood, and all that Allaah has forbidden]. And those who pay the Zakaat. And those who guard their chastity [i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts] except from their wives or [the captives and slaves] that their right hands possess, for then, they are free from blame; But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors; Those who are faithfully true to their Amanaat [all the duties which Allaah has ordained, honesty, moral responsibility and trusts etc.] and to their covenants; And those who strictly guard their [five compulsory congregational] Salawaat [prayers] [at their fixed stated hours]. These are indeed the inheritors. Who shall inherit the Firdaus [Paradise]. They shall dwell therein forever.” [Al-Mu’minun 23:1-11]
[/SIZE]

As salamo alaikome....

Please excuse my silly sounding questions but I have always been curious about the highlighted passage..............WHY do we not need to guard our private parts from the servants????? I mean of course in these days you dont really have slaves but why would it be ok to expose your private parts to them????

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslam u Alaikum wr wb dear sister Isra,

Female slaves are halal for their male master .... BUT female master can uncover her awrah in front of her male slave NOT more than what she can uncover in front of her brother or father. Because of the role of slaves in the house, it would have been very difficult to cover completely in front of male slaves...so Allah has given this exemption.

I hope this helped.

I love you for the sake of Allah

Wa alaikum salam,

ayesha_r

Muslimah
:salam2:
:ma: another beautiful and beneficial post sis
jazakallah khair for sharing
May ALLAH bless you and the ummah.Ameen
take care
walikum salam

Isra

aka Tree2008
Asslam u Alaikum wr wb dear sister Isra,

Female slaves are halal for their male master .... BUT female master can uncover her awrah in front of her male slave NOT more than what she can uncover in front of her brother or father. Because of the role of slaves in the house, it would have been very difficult to cover completely in front of male slaves...so Allah has given this exemption.

I hope this helped.

I love you for the sake of Allah

Wa alaikum salam,

Wa alaikome salam sister BinteShafi and jazakallah khairan for explaining that to me. Now I dont mean to sound as if I am questioning Allah but does it not seem a bit unfair that female slaves are halal for the male masters??? It sounds like "he bought her so she belongs to him". I mean no disrespect but I guess it just sounds unfair to me. Its good there are no longer slaves in this generation. I wonder why??? Maybe I just think too much and question too much. :girl3:

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslam u Alaikum sister Isra,

There are many many people who have different sort of questions on "this controversial issue of slavery". This topic has recently been discussed on the forum.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57391&page=11

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57503

Sister we hamans have got very limited intellect. We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Allah is the creator and we are HIS creation. He is the legislator. He has made this religion for the whole mankind of all times...We humans arrive in this world for a very short period of time and then walk away.........Our capabilities are very very limited. I believe that Allah is JUST and HE is not unfair to mankind.

HE has allowed men to have 4 wives on certain conditions (justice between wives) but females are not allowed to have four husbands at the same time. We know the wisdom behind this....Don't we?

There is no point in giving a woman the right to marry multiple husbands or to have relationship with one or more slaves, rather that is beneath her dignity and she would not know the lineage of her children, because she is the one who bears the offspring, and it is not permissible for the offspring to be formed from the sperm of a number of men lest the lineage of the child be lost and no one will know who is responsible for bringing up the child; this will lead to breakdown of families, loss of ties between fathers and children, which is not permitted in Islam as it is not in the interests of the woman or of the child or of society as a whole.

Verily my Salaah, my sacrifice, my living, my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the worlds.

wa alaikum salam,

Isra

aka Tree2008
Asslam u Alaikum sister Isra,
Sister we hamans have got very limited intellect. We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

Allah is the creator and we are HIS creation. He is the legislator. He has made this religion for the whole mankind of all times...We humans arrive in this world for a very short period of time and then walk away.........Our capabilities are very very limited. I believe that Allah is JUST and HE is not unfair to mankind.

HE has allowed men to have 4 wives on certain conditions (justice between wives) but females are not allowed to have four husbands at the same time. We know the wisdom behind this....Don't we?

There is no point in giving a woman the right to marry multiple husbands or to have relationship with one or more slaves, rather that is beneath her dignity and she would not know the lineage of her children, because she is the one who bears the offspring, and it is not permissible for the offspring to be formed from the sperm of a number of men lest the lineage of the child be lost and no one will know who is responsible for bringing up the child; this will lead to breakdown of families, loss of ties between fathers and children, which is not permitted in Islam as it is not in the interests of the woman or of the child or of society as a whole.

Verily my Salaah, my sacrifice, my living, my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the worlds.

wa alaikum salam,

Wa alaikome salam my dear sister BinteShafi..........

WOW sister what you said here is SOOOOOOOO important!!!! I totally get it now and I feel very stupid to ever have questioned (please....NO WAY was I questioning ALLAH but the idea only).

This part where you said "We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience" is something that I think on a day to day basis when we are involved in doing whatever it is we do we tend to forget this fact. When I read what you wrote it sent chills down my spine and it was like YEAH <slap myself in the head> THATS SO TRUE!!!!! How could I forget that???? But yes.........that one small point made all the sense in the world to me. Jazakallah khairan and sorry for forgetting!!! :hearts: