Is this from the Sunnah?

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

This brother recently visited the Bay area and so many of my friends went nuts over seeing him

My fiance helped out at the 'event' and said that when she walked in to the sisters' side she saw so many women wearing niqaab "out of respect for the scholar". When I told her they should wear the niqaab for ALLAH alone she got a bit miffed.

I found out later that several sisters who couldn't touch his hands (the way the men are doing in this video) gathered his half-drunk water bottles to save as "mementos"!

I have met a couple shayuk in my time but I've never kissed their hands. Was I suppose to?

*removed link/video*

I can't watch beyond about 1:18 into the video before it gets a bit much for me.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Oh desis.

No, akhi, this is most definitely NOT from the Sunnah. It's just another Subcontinent-influenced sect. I have my suspicions as to which but since I'm not 100% sure, I'll refrain from labeling.

Just be assured this is not from the Sunnah.

DanyalSAC

JazakAllah khair...

When I tried to speak out about this, the reaction was astonishing. They all acted like I was blaspheming. When this brother came to the Bay area everyone flocked to his "program" like it was a huge rock concert.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Wa iyyaka.

Yeah unfortunately they're very sensitive to criticism. Pretty much because they've most likely heard it before and are sick and tired of hearing it. You can't help people like that unless they want to be helped.

Its funny that they acted as if you were the blasphemer when the announcer in this video was actually saying some extremely blasphemous things. I actually got my mother to watch this as well right now because she has more knowledge of the different beliefs and sects in the Subcontinent since she was born and raised there. Halfway through it, she pushed my iPhone back at me and refused to watch the rest. She was extremely disgusted to see and hear such perversion and firmly stated that these are deviant sects and not to pay them any mind.

Keep questioning these things, Akh. It's truly disturbing how deeply unIslamic culture has penetrated Islam itself.

DanyalSAC

Wa iyyaka.

Yeah unfortunately they're very sensitive to criticism. Pretty much because they've most likely heard it before and are sick and tired of hearing it. You can't help people like that unless they want to be helped.

Its funny that they acted as if you were the blasphemer when the announcer in this video was actually saying some extremely blasphemous things. I actually got my mother to watch this as well right now because she has more knowledge of the different beliefs and sects in the Subcontinent since she was born and raised there. Halfway through it, she pushed my iPhone back at me and refused to watch the rest. She was extremely disgusted to see and hear such perversion and firmly stated that these are deviant sects and not to pay them any mind.

Keep questioning these things, Akh. It's truly disturbing how deeply unIslamic culture has penetrated Islam itself.

I couldn't understand what the announcer was saying. However, the sad part is that to such a large percent of Americans this is Islam. This video right here. This shaykh. Kissing his hand, chanting "ALLAH" in unison, wearing beads around the neck.

Aroosak

:wasalam:

Are you serious? keeping the water bottles? Creepy much!
Unfortunately is not only something done in desi culture but I've seen it amongst Arabs and Turks. This is purely biddah. How can sisters wear niqab for only one man. Are their awrah's unseen by others. Niqab cannot be used as a joke, is a commitment with Allah (swt) and if you intend something for his sake you should be able to follow it through. If they do it for the sake a man they are the ones losing.
Shaking hands is sunnah and the Prophet said "Any two Muslims who meet and shake hands before parting, their sins fall as leaves fall from a tree in autumn." but as far as what I've seen in the video it was just something else...
Don't let the wrong actions and words of a group affect you inshAllah and as the hadith says : “Whoever among you sees something wrong should change it with his hands. If he is unable to do so, then with his tongue. If he is unable to do so, then at least hate it in his heart" [Sahîh Muslim]

Maghreb-United

Oh.. interesting I have forgotten how culture has divided muslims.. :/
And since i am a recent muslim.. I need to be very careful..
I hope to be very knowledgeable in Sunnah and Qu'ran to make sure i do not ecounter.. nor take part of deviant sects..

Thanks for posting this.. it is very helpful for the new muslims who are not very familiar with deviant sects..

Spread the awareness ! hehe

Salam Alikom... !

helpinghumanity

Assalamo alaikum brother,

This is NOT NOT NOT from the Sunnah.

These are "brelvies". They give too much (like way too much) much importance or respect to a Peer (I don't know what do you say in English... basically its some who is supposedly religious...blah blah). For them he is almost every thing...

This remind me of the incident that happened few weeks ago. My mom and my sister went to their friends house on a gathering. They were not informed about its nature..

After a while a guy "Peer Shahab..lol" came and these ladies started doing stuff called SHIRK ...my sister is very outspoken. She will taunt you in the middle of the street or a gathering, irrespective of the consequences if she sees something wrong...

Her that personality forced her to speak. She was alone in that whole gathering (well mom was on her side too) to speak against the shirk being committed. So now ladies are are having a verbal attack on her...some calling her wahabi's etc ...Seeing that.. they can't take down my sister, they directed all the wrath towards my mom...

my mom replied..."She (my sister) is not saying anything bad...all she is saying is "Ask the Creator, NOT the creation". Ask whatever you want from your lord, the lord who gives to everybody including this peer"...............

one of the lady said, "I didn't had a child before, i asked the peer sahib and now I have two..."

my mom replied, "I asked Allah, and He gave me 6 children" lol

Okay...can't type more..exams time....gotta Study...please make duaa

JenGiove

one of the lady said, "I didn't had a child before, i asked the peer sahib and now I have two..."

my mom replied, "I asked Allah, and He gave me 6 children" lol

:salam2:

ROTFL! A mother's words are the strongest weapon. It can be used to harm, help and defend....

Your mom is priceless!! Bravo mom!

helpinghumanity

I couldn't understand what the announcer was saying. However, the sad part is that to such a large percent of Americans this is Islam. This video right here. This shaykh. Kissing his hand, chanting "ALLAH" in unison, wearing beads around the neck.

At first he is informing that the crowd about the presence of their Guest and then asks them to stand up in honor.

The speaker introduces him to as a scholar of "Ahle-sunnah".....(But he ain't...he is opposite)

After all the formal introduction he tells everybody that it is "worship" to even see his face...

God no much crap in this video..

samiha

---------
Staff member
wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Well there's a few issues here:

1) Is it valid to wear niqaab for a specific man (pathetic sort of idea) - No. I mean you could, but with those attentions you might as well walk out in a ski mask. Respect should be for Allaah, so if they fear Allaah and wear it then khayr, if not then in this case it is placing a status of a human far higher than should be. So you're absolutely right about that.

2) Water bottles, I wont say anything except that is EXTREMELY gross. Like even I'm not that big of a germaphobe or anything, but that is just nasty. Very shirky aspects as well if I don't add - they're venerating something they have no right to.

3)
I have met a couple shayuk in my time but I've never kissed their hands. Was I suppose to?

Well I looked this bit up on Islam-QA to see what they say, it seems that it may be permissible out of respect for a scholar (if you wish). It's not sunnah or anything, and in this case it is definitely far too much. That last man was just sickening!

Praise be to Allaah.

With regard to kissing the hand, the majority of scholars are of the view that it is makrooh, especially if it is a habit. But if it is done sometimes on some occasions, there is nothing wrong with that in the case of a righteous man, a righteous ruler, a father and the like. There is nothing wrong with that, but if it is done regularly then it is makrooh.

Some of the scholars regarded that as haraam if it is customarily done at every meeting. But if it is done occasionally then there is nothing wrong with it. Source

It is mustahabb to kiss the hands of righteous people and the greatest scholars, and it is makrooh to kiss the hand of anyone else. The hand of the beardless man should not be kissed under any circumstances,

(From Fatawa al-Imaam al-Nawawi, p. 71)

In the commentary on the book, it says:

If a person wants to kiss another person's hand, if this is because of his asceticism, righteousness, knowledge, position or modesty, or other reason that has to do with his commitment to religion, then it is not makrooh. In such cases it is mustahabb, because Abu ‘Ubaydah kissed the hand of ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both).

But if it is because of the person’s riches, wealth, high rank or status in the eyes of the people of this world, and so on, then it is intensely makrooh.

Al-Mutawalli, one of our companions, said: It is not permitted, and he indicated that it is haraam.

It was narrated in Sunan Abi Dawood that Zaari’ (may Allaah be pleased with him), who was among the delegation of ‘Abd Qays, said: “We started to get out from our howdahs and we kissed the hands and feet of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Fatawa al-Imam al-Nawawi, Ta’leeq al-Hajjaar, p. 71.

Source

Even if I were a man I wouldnt come near his hands, there just seems too much pride and self-veneration involved here. Like he LIKED it, put his hands forward in that kind of manner, and let the last guy practically slurp all over.

Allaahu 'Alem

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Apart from what was mentioned by the brothers and sisters, it should be noted that kissing the hands doesn't mean a person is doing an act of Haraam. In this specific case, it is different. But generally in some customs, they kiss the hand or forehead of elderly people, righteous people and scholars out of respect. One of my arab friends, kisses me on the forehead and keeps saying that he does this out of respect (even though I tell him not to and that I don't deserve to be treated like that). I do that to my mother out of respect and love too, so really it is a matter of the people's custom and not something that is linked to the deen.

In saudi they kiss the cheeks. Well not really the cheeks, but they make the sound of kissing (if that makes sense?). So it really comes down to someone's custom.

If ever a bearded brother comes and kisses your hand, forehead or cheek... don't freak out :)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
LOL!

..Not really a laughing matter but this is just ridiculously funny...Na`udhu Billaah! I pray for our lost ummah.. May Allaah grant us all guideance for truly, we're very much in need of it!!

Kakorot

Why was the video removed? I think it should of stayed, as a lot of Muslims do these practices and are not aware of the limits.

It's not like anyone here is promoting people to go and over exaggerate and praise righteous or so called righteous people.

We can view these things to stay away from it.

DanyalSAC

Why was the video removed? I think it should of stayed, as a lot of Muslims do these practices and are not aware of the limits.

It's not like anyone here is promoting people to go and over exaggerate and praise righteous or so called righteous people.

We can view these things to stay away from it.

I second this. Hiding our head in the sand and pretending this doesn't exist does little to help change it.