"Its Sunnah, not Fard (or Wajib)"

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

This subject came up in a recent brothers' halaqa at my masjid.

(Interpretation of the meaning:)

Qur’an 3:132 - And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy.

Qur’an 4:80 - He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah; but those who turn away - We have not sent you over them as a guardian.

Qur’an 59:7 - And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty.

Where do we get the idea that if its "from the sunnah" we can dismiss it or accept it as we choose? I have seen other posts - and heard discussions - where someone says "Well that's just the sunnah, its not fard". As far as I'm concerned, and how I've been taught, if the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam has told us to do it, it is fard for us.

Am I wrong?

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Wa'alaikumusalam.

You have to check the tafseer to understand better the above verses. If you are to take from the literal meaning of the above verses of course it will imply that everything given by the Prophet will fard not Sunnah.

ayesha.ansari

:)

Dear sunnah mean doing and saying of Prophet. our Prophet perform every action that is allowed to do in Islam and refrain us from not doing it. well if you follow sunnah that mean you are saving yourself from sins and doing good deed. If you make them fard on you that is good because it helps you stop doing wrong things and sins. :tti_sister:

mohammadyunus

If we truly and deeply love Allah and his prophet than following the sunnah would become indispensible and second nature of that person.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Asalaamu alaikum -

This subject came up in a recent brothers' halaqa at my masjid.

(Interpretation of the meaning:)

Qur’an 3:132 - And obey Allah and the Messenger that you may obtain mercy.

Qur’an 4:80 - He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah; but those who turn away - We have not sent you over them as a guardian.

Qur’an 59:7 - And whatever the Messenger has given you - take; and what he has forbidden you - refrain from. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is severe in penalty.

Where do we get the idea that if its "from the sunnah" we can dismiss it or accept it as we choose? I have seen other posts - and heard discussions - where someone says "Well that's just the sunnah, its not fard". As far as I'm concerned, and how I've been taught, if the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa salaam has told us to do it, it is fard for us.

Am I wrong?

As salam 'alaykum warahamtu-llah

Allah subhanahu wa ta'la say in Quran:
"Nor does he say ought of his own desire and wishes; it is just inspiration sent down to him " (Quran 53: 3-5)

so any commandment and order from Rasul Allah salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam is Fardh.

Sunnah what rasul salla salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam used to do.

Like using siwak

‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Siwaak cleanses the mouth and pleases the Lord.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, 2/274

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), who reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Were it not for the fact that I did not want to make things too hard for my ummah, I would have commanded them to use the siwaak at every time of prayer.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2/299 and Muslim, 1/151) According to another report narrated by al-Bukhaari, he said: “…at every time of making wudoo’.”

if he salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam would command it, it would have become Fardh on us.

barakAllahu feekum

wassalam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

Common sense time...The Messenger of Allah was sent to us. We have the Quran. Now...he did things. We know Allah subhana wa taala loves him. We want to be loved by Allah subhana wa taala..so we do what the Prophet did..somethings are just simple.

salahdin

tafsir ibn kathir

Qur’an 4:80

Obeying the Messenger is Obeying Allah

Allah says;

مَّنْ يُطِعِ الرَّسُولَ فَقَدْ أَطَاعَ اللّهَ ...​

He who obeys the Messenger, has indeed obeyed Allah,

Allah states that whoever obeys His servant and Messenger, Muhammad, obeys Allah; and whoever disobeys him, disobeys Allah. Verily, whatever the Messenger utters is not of his own desire, but a revelation inspired to him.

Ibn Abi Hatim recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,

مَنْ أَطَاعَنِي فَقَدْ أَطَاعَ اللهَ، وَمَنْ عَصَانِي فَقَدْ عَصَى اللهَ، وَمَنْ أَطَاعَ الْأَمِيرَ فَقَدْ أَطَاعَنِي، وَمَنْ عَصَى الْأَمِيرَ فَقَدْ عَصَانِي​

Whoever obeys me, obeys Allah; and whoever disobeys me, disobeys Allah. Whoever obeys the Amir (leader, ruler), obeys me; and whoever disobeys the Amir, disobeys me.

This Hadith was recorded in the Two Sahihs.

Allah's statement,

... وَمَن تَوَلَّى فَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ عَلَيْهِمْ حَفِيظًا ﴿٨٠﴾​

But he who turns away, then We have not sent you as a watcher over them.

means, do not worry about him. Your job is only to convey, and whoever obeys you, he will acquire happiness and success and you will gain a similar reward to that he earns. As for the one who turns away from you, he will gain failure and loss and you will not carry a burden because of what he does.

A Hadith states,

مَنْ يُطِعِ اللهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ رَشَدَ، وَمَنْ يَعْصِ اللهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَإِنَّهُ لَا يَضُرُّ إِلَّا نَفْسَه​

Whoever obeys Allah and His Messenger, will acquire guidance; and whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, will only harm himself.

Ordering Obedience of the Messenger in All Commands and Prohibitions

Qur’an 59:7

Allah the Exalted said,

... وَمَا آتَاكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانتَهُوا ...​

And whatsoever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it).

meaning, `whatever the Messenger commands you, then do it and whatever he forbids you, then avoid it. Surely, He only commands righteousness and forbids evil.'

Imam Ahmad recorded that Abdullah bin Mas`ud said,

"Allah curses women who practice tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and the women who remove the hair from their eyebrows and faces and those who make artificial spaces between their teeth in order to look more beautiful, whereby changing Allah's creation.''

His statement reached a woman from Bani Asad called, Umm Ya`qub, who came to Abdullah and said, "I have come to know that you have cursed such and such''

He replied, "Why should I not curse those whom Allah's Messenger has cursed and who are cursed in Allah's Book!''

Umm Ya`qub said, "I have read the whole Qur'an, but did not find in it what you say.''

He said, "Verily, if you have read the Qur'an, you have found it. Didn't you read,
وَمَا آتَاكُمُ الرَّسُولُ فَخُذُوهُ وَمَا نَهَاكُمْ عَنْهُ فَانتَهُوا​
(And whatsoever the Messenger gives you take it and whatsoever he forbids you, you abstain (from it)).''

She replied, "Yes, I did.''

He said, "Verily, Allah's Messenger forbade such things.''

She said, "But I think that your wife does these things''

He said, "Go and look at her.''

She went and watched her, but could not see anything in support of her claim. She went back to Abdullah bin Mas`ud and said that she did not notice anything on his wife. On that he said,

"If my wife was as you thought, I would not keep her with me.''

The Two Sahihs recorded this from the Hadith of Sufyan Ath-Thawri. As well as a Hadith of Abu Hurayrah, who said that the Messenger of Allah said,

إِذَا أَمَرْتُكُمْ بِأَمْرٍ فَائْتُوا مِنْهُ مَا اسْتَطَعْتُمْ، وَمَا نَهَيْتُكُمْ عَنْهُ فَاجْتَنِبُوه​

When I order you to do something, then do as much as you can of it. If I forbid something for you, then shun it.

Allah's statement,

... وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِ ﴿٧﴾​

Have Taqwa of Allah; verily, Allah is Severe in punishment.

means, fear Allah by obeying His orders and refraining from His prohibitions. Surely, Allah is severe in punishment for those who defy Him and reject and disobey His commands as well as, those who commit what He forbids and prohibits.

There is no pick and choose(beard) ,you either obey or follow your own desire and i say to you brother that you are 100% right .But most of us follow own our lust and that is to find lame excuse not to obey but rather follow our own lust

There are two types of diseases that attack the heart, one doubt and error, and the second lust and desire;

Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al Jawziyyah

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
There is no pick and choose(beard) ,you either obey or follow your own desire and i say to you brother that you are 100% right .But most of us follow own our lust and that is to find lame excuse not to obey but rather follow our own lust

There are two types of diseases that attack the heart, one doubt and error, and the second lust and desire;

Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al Jawziyyah

wa alaikum salaam bro...

I like your signature. I think it is about to become my email signature.....It is now. Shukran