2 questions a Christian asked me

Toya23

Salams brothers and sisters,

Today I was talking to a long time friend and I told her that I converted to Islam. She had nothing but good things to say to me, she even told me that her husband was looking into it but she felt uncomfortable so he stopped for her. That made me sad, so can we please make dua for them they they will be guided to the truth. They have a qur'an and some other books in their house, Inshallah they will open them and begin to read the word of God.

She asked me 2 questions that I tried to answer but im not sure if I did a good job. We should all know the first question because it is discussed all the time. How can we believe Jesus is not God? I answered in the best way I could, and with the knowledge that I have gained thus far. So, I was wondering if anybody had anything that I could send to her. I was hoping it wouldn't be too long because I don't want her to feel overwhelmed. I'm almost certain there are other threads that answer this question so im going to do a bit of research myself. But if anyone has anything handy I would appreciate it. I also remember in the bible it saying that Jesus is not God but I don't know where, could somebody tell me the chapters and such. I am also going to watch "the deen show" I'm sure you all have heard of this website, if not I would be glad to inform you. Yea, I'm going to watch the episode called "10 reasons why Jesus Christ isn't God". I'm going to jot down some notes and send it to her.

Her second question was, How can we(Muslims) believe that reading a Qur'an in English is the correct translation from Arabic? How do we know that it was translated correctly?
Once again I told her what I knew and it seemed like she understood but I don't think it was a solid answer. I would like to give her something more concrete. I know there is a very good answer to this question, I don't want her to think that we dont have proof for the things we say. So, again if anybody has any answers for me I would love to hear it, I really want to answer her questions.

Thank you in advance

Toya23

Revision

I found the answer for my first question. It's long but very in depth. I figured I would have found it on this awesome website. So I just need help with the second question.

Thank you

shichemlydia

trial to help

salam alikoum,
regarding the sencond question , tell her that a verse in arabic can be translated in many ways i mean using different words, but what is very important is to keep the meaning of the verse correct as it is wanted in arabic by allah swt. moreover, tell her that tses translations are checked by competen people before any release to make sure they do not falsen the message sent through the quran.
for the tafssir of the quran, this may be explained in many ways even in arabic, see the tafseer of ibn katheer, and so on....
may allah swt guide her and her husband to islam and show them the light, ameen.
wa salam alikoum

IslamicGirl24

InshaAllah, one day your friend will be guided to the right path.... I will remember her in my prayers.

I must tell you, that MashaAllah you are doing an excellent.. no, superb job by helping your friend... May Allah swt give you more knowledge, taqwaa, imaan and strength. Ameen.

Almeftah

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

1. How can we(Muslims) believe that reading a Qur'an in English is the correct translation from Arabic? How do we know that it was translated correctly?

A translation from a language to another is never 100% accurate, But it is a way to deliver a meaning between people from different cultures. It's been always used since the creation of humans. And since each verse of the Holy Quran may Contain more than one meaning, Translation may differ based on an individuals understanding.

So it is actualy hard to tell if the translation is right or wrong, But as we all know, eople chose what authers (Translators in this case) to be trusted based on their reputation gained by knowledge and great efforts they'v made to the benefit of the Muslim nation. Same as why we chose to trust the Fatwa of a certain scholar and not the other.

But generaly, It would be better to learn arabic to be able to know or understand more accuratly. because if are to read a translation that explains a certain meaning you'll miss its other meanings and you'll have to read for more translators..

Besides, Reading Quran in Arabic which is how it was descended to us originally, Has much deeper effect on our Hearts. Since it was prooven to have an effect even on non-arabic speaking people listening to it without understanding its meanings.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
I think for the second question, it has been answered. Regarding first question, you know already the answers too. Just put it very simple, a reverse psychology method, ask this: proof to me Jesus i.e. Prophet Isaa' (peace be upon him) is God? Provide to me one verse from the bible in which Prophet Isaa' (peace be upon him) apparently said "I'm God worshipped me"? Stick to attributes of God and compare with attributes of Prophet Isaa' (peace be upon him).

mhamzah

:salam2:

How can we believe Jesus is not God?

"Say: 'O People of the Book! You have no ground to stand upon unless you stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord." (Qur'an 5:71).

Christians are advised to support their claims by citing their books.

There is no explicit saying of Jesus that can be produced which shows him grasping at equality with God. The primary issue is not whether Jesus is God. The first question is whether he said that he was equal to God.

I'll recommend 'A concise reply to Christanity', (I know its fairly long), but it demolishes all arguments brought forth by Christians claiming Jesus, Pbuh, claimed divinity with God, without reinterpreting the Bible.

http://www.geocities.com/alummah2000/ReplyToChristianity.html

How can we(Muslims) believe that reading a Qur'an in English is the correct translation from Arabic?

Like brothers said before, no english translation is 100% accurate. What is recommended is that you pick up as many translations as possible and compare them, if all the translators translate a verse more or less the same, thats a fairly good indication that a verse is properly translated. If different translators, translate a verse differently that one can always go back to the Arabic. Its advisable that one should learn Arabic (unlike the languages of old and new testament, Quran is in Arabic a living language, so translation should be more of a problem for Jews and Christians than it should be for Muslims).

You can also refer to;

http://members.lycos.co.uk/islamonrise/gary_book.html

:salam2:

actually if you look at the front page of the Quran you will see it says its a translation of the meaning of the Holy Quran.

the quran is never translated. its a translation of the meaning of the quran