A Little Clarification Please

AmericanTeenager

Alright, my great grandmother passed away last Sunday, insha'Allah she entered the gates of Paradise, for even though she died a devout Christian woman, she was a good and loving woman to all those around her. She died at the ripe old age of 85, having been married to my great grandfather for 65 years.

My question is this: I know it is forbidden for a muslim to enter a Christian church, but I basically had no choice here, especially since I was selected as a pall-bearer, being her oldest great-grandson. Is this an exception to the not going into Christian churches rule since it was for the funeral of my own kin?

BinteShafi

Left long ago
Asslam u Alaikum wr wb brother,

I hope someone knowledgeable could answer your question.

Sometime some situations are exempted to apply certain rules depending upon the severity of the situation but common people (layman) are not allowed to give this exemption. I would suggest you to go to a scholar/Imam and discuss with him.

May Allah help you.

Wa Alaiku Salam

BigAk

I was not aware that a muslim is forbidden to enter a Chrisian church... Is this true really??

Rashadi

Salaam Aleykom, Muslims are allowed to enter churches, synagogues, etc so long as they don't participate in their rituals or anything as far as worship in their religion but visiting a church is not forbidden. The Khalifah Uthman entered a church in Jeusalem and even offered two rakats salaat outside the church. Furthermore, in many places such as Syria and Iraq, the Muslims use to share churches with Christians until they either bought the property and turned it into a masjid or build masjids. For example one of the most ancient churches in Syria was shared by Muslims on Jumah and eventually it was bought from the Christians and tuirned into a Masjid.

There is nothing which prohibits us from entering a church or the buildings of other religions but we are not to engage in their religious rituals or their forms of worship, shirk, etc. As for your Grabdmother, may Allah have mercy on her, ameen.

BigAk

Salaam Aleykom, Muslims are allowed to enter churches, synagogues, etc so long as they don't participate in their rituals or anything as far as worship in their religion but visiting a church is not forbidden. The Khalifah Uthman entered a church in Jeusalem and even offered two rakats salaat outside the church. Furthermore, in many places such as Syria and Iraq, the Muslims use to share churches with Christians until they either bought the property and turned it into a masjid or build masjids. For example one of the most ancient churches in Syria was shared by Muslims on Jumah and eventually it was bought from the Christians and tuirned into a Masjid.

There is nothing which prohibits us from entering a church or the buildings of other religions but we are not to engage in their religious rituals or their forms of worship, shirk, etc. As for your Grabdmother, may Allah have mercy on her, ameen.

Wow brother Rashadi.. I had no idea about this... and I'm from Syria... very interesting indeed...

pcozzy

No you should not but read the verse of Al Qur'an in Ar Ra'd (13):31 and Maryam (19):70.

A Muslim who has faith preaching a Kafir to become Muslim, is easier for the Kafir to accept those who are like them, a human being. That's why Allahu Jalla did not use Malaikat as Nabiyullah and Rasulullah.

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh.

You are way off the question and are not making any sense. What do those ayats have to do with going to a church?

Brother Rashadi,

:jazaak:

I think you meant Khalifa Umar not Othman rithi Allah anhum.

Originally Posted by Rashadi
The Khalifah Uthman entered a church in Jeusalem and even offered two rakats salaat outside the church.

:wasalam:

hana*

i think that was masjid al amaweeyeen in damascus as that used to be a church and is now an amazing masjid. there is no harm in a muslim enetering a church so long as they do not contribute in the christian practices

BigAk

i think that was masjid al amaweeyeen in damascus as that used to be a church and is now an amazing masjid. there is no harm in a muslim enetering a church so long as they do not contribute in the christian practices

Wow.. I did not know that.. I have prayed in Masjid Al Amaweeyeen. Masha Allah.. :)

Rashadi

You are way off the question and are not making any sense. What do those ayats have to do with going to a church?

Brother Rashadi,

:jazaak:

I think you meant Khalifa Umar not Othman rithi Allah anhum.

Yes akhi thank you for correcting me, jazak Allah khayr.

Rashadi

Wow.. I did not know that.. I have prayed in Masjid Al Amaweeyeen. Masha Allah.. :)

If I am not mistaken brother Ak, I think the masjid was named after Yahya when it was a church, but I know it was shared by Muslims and Christians. It was later bought from the Christians and turned into a great masjid.