A question about praying behind an imam in a masjid.

A-believer-25

:salam2:

I have a question.

When I pray in a masjid behind an imam, what do I recite while he is reciting? Am I supposed to recite anything? Like only the fatiha, and nothing else? Or do I stay quiet? I have always been confused. I hope I get an answer, inshallah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Wa alaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

I found this in Islamqa.

Is it permissible for one who is praying behind the imaam to recite Qur’aan along with the imaam, when the imaam is reciting a lengthy passage?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for one who is praying behind the imaam in a prayer in which Qur’aan is to be recited aloud to recite anything in addition to al-Faatihah. Rather after that he has to listen to the imaam’s recitation (i.e., after reciting al-Faatihah), because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Perhaps you recite behind your imaam?” They said, “Yes,” He said, “Do not do that, except for the Opening of the Book (al-Faatihah), for there is no prayer for the one who does not recite it.” And because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So, when the Qur’aan is recited, listen to it, and be silent that you may receive mercy”[al-A’raaf 7:204]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When the imaam recites, then listen attentively.”

The only exception made to that is with regard to al-Faatihah, because of the hadeeth quoted above and because of the general meaning of the hadeeth, “There is no prayer for the one who does not recite the Opening of the Book.” (Saheeh, agreed upon).

Source

Wa alaykumasalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

A-believer-25

I found this in Islamqa.

Source

Wa alaykumasalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu. . .

Thank you for the response!

Jazakallah khair! :)

I have another question. Do we recite Al-Fatiha while the Imam recites Al-Fatiha or after he recites it? Like do we recite it after he recites another Surah after Al-Fatiha?

NURFellowship

Esselamun aleykum my dear friend

:salam2:

I have a question.

When I pray in a masjid behind an imam, what do I recite while he is reciting? Am I supposed to recite anything? Like only the fatiha, and nothing else? Or do I stay quiet? I have always been confused. I hope I get an answer, inshallah.

Esselamun Aleykum my dear friend,

Here s your answer. Namaz is everything for us. When you truly pray, you will get all your answers.

"you are a Muqtadee meaning praying in congregation (Jamaat) and behind an Imam then don't perform Qiraayat meaning don't pray 'Alhamdo' or a Surat, whether the Imam is praying loudly or quietly. Qiraayat is not allowed in any Namaz if it is being prayed behind an Imam."

Peace be upon you my brother.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salaamu `alaikum!

^I hope your question has been answered, brother.

I was wondering though, How does the ayah, "wa idhaa quri'a al Qura'aanu fastami‘uu.."(#204) relate to Salaah? I believe(from an interpretation I've read) it had to do with back when the pagan Quraysh's would say to each other ' laa tastami`uu haadhal Qura'aan..' Basically telling each other to not listen to it and make noises throughout it's recitation...

Also, that sheikh in the first video Abu Talib posted says that as well. Hmm.

Brisingr9

well brother according to the authentic hadees u supposed to recite surah fatiha for any salat u do whether u stand behind an imam or not fatiha is a must recite:)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
As-salaamu `alaikum!

^I hope your question has been answered, brother.

I was wondering though, How does the ayah, "wa idhaa quri'a al Qura'aanu fastami‘uu.."(#204) relate to Salaah? I believe(from an interpretation I've read) it had to do with back when the pagan Quraysh's would say to each other ' laa tastami`uu haadhal Qura'aan..' Basically telling each other to not listen to it and make noises throughout it's recitation...

Also, that sheikh in the first video Abu Talib posted says that as well. Hmm.

So it'll be alright to make noise or talk or recite in the salah when "Qur'aan is being recited to you (us). . ."?

If the Imaam is reciting the Quraan and we are reciting behind him, it's like talking when someones talking. Surah fatiha is the exception as it was added to as an exception.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member

So it'll be alright to make noise or talk or recite in the salah when "Qur'aan is being recited to you (us). . ."?

If the Imaam is reciting the Quraan and we are reciting behind him, it's like talking when someones talking. Surah fatiha is the exception as it was added to as an exception.

Ukhty, all I'm saying is that the particular ayah mentioned in your post doesn't apply to when praying but rather 'outside' of prayer. So that verse shouldn't have been used as a daleel. Not everything from that QA site is as authentic as most of us seem to make it out to be...
And yes you're right. I'm aware that we should keep silent after we've finished reading Al-fatiha behind the Imaam in the loud prayers.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Ukhty, all I'm saying is that the particular ayah mentioned in your post doesn't apply to when praying but rather 'outside' of prayer. So that verse shouldn't have been used as a daleel. Not everything from that QA site is as authentic as most of us seem to make it out to be...
And yes you're right. I'm aware that we should keep silent after we've finished reading Al-fatiha behind the Imaam in the loud prayers.

I was just saying Imaam's recitation is still recitation. And that Ayah is about recitation. So it "can" apply.

yeah I know. IslamQ&A is not the Quraan itself.